Strategy for Keeping Quicken 2017

Greetings!

I despise subscriptions because I think they are budget busters.  No, not the $41 Home Security monitoring fee.  It's that fee combined with any Adobe software subscriptions, combined with my health club fee, the fee for my stock charting service, the fee for my newspaper (some still get the paper), car insurance, house insurance, Amazon's book club thingie, my termite guy, home insurance, car insurance, and my home security system's monitoring fee, my Prime membership, and many more.

I believe subscriptions are too easy and painless to enter into and hide their true cost, which makes it difficult for people to get out of debt and stay out of it.  And in nearly every case, I've found Software subscriptions or the next tier, "Software as a Service" (SaaS) memberships to be a distinct disadvantage to the consumer, especially over the course of a few years.

So as to "stop the madness" a little bit, I am planning to keep Quicken 2017 Home and Business (for Windows) at least through this year.  Can anybody tell me if that version is working okay these days?  I'm mostly interested in tracking my investments, debt reduction plan, and downloading from my financial institutions, but I don't run a business at the moment.

Thoughts, considerations?
I have no affiliation with US Debt Clock.  But my country is handcuffed by debt.  It weakens us and it breaks my heart to see my taxes used to fund dumb, unnecessary, or rights-denying policies.

Comments

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    QWin 2017 is working OK. Many prefer it over 2018. Quicken Inc plans to continue support, including bank and investment downloads, through April 2020.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • ColinGruchyColinGruchy Member
    edited May 2018
    I had to update to Quicken Home & Business 2017 subscription model when my 2014 version support ended.  Works just fine.  I was automatically upgraded to 2018 a couple of months ago, and there is absolutely no difference between 2017 and 2018.  In fact, the difference from 2014 is hardly noticeable either (at least for the Canadian version).  So, in my case, I'm getting the same product that I've had for 5 years, just a different name and release number.  It's very robust.  And like Jim Harman said, you'll be supported until 2020.
  • edited January 2018

QWin 2017 is working OK. Many prefer it over 2018. Quicken Inc plans to continue support, including bank and investment downloads, through April 2020.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

I disagree that Q17 is working OK.  I have problems with tagging and the more complicated I make tags seems to trigger a temper tantrum.  I get message, "opps encountered error, will have to end program" (hence doesn't save recent work). Sucks.  Now apprehensive about upgrading to Q18 on my new computer bought to replace 4 year old in hopes that was problem.
    Maybe so, Maybe not.  
  • DebtectomyDebtectomy Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, folks!

And Marjorie, I'll keep an eye out for that tagging issue; thanks for the head's up.
    I have no affiliation with US Debt Clock.  But my country is handcuffed by debt.  It weakens us and it breaks my heart to see my taxes used to fund dumb, unnecessary, or rights-denying policies.
  • BarryBarry Member
    edited January 2018
    It is working for me, at the moment. Transferred smoothly. 

Like Debectomy I am allergic to subscriptions, ok to buy upgrades,if they are better versions. 
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Debtectomy, your's is the best reason against the subscription model I have seen - subscriptions encourage overspending as the payments are on auto pilot and the tendency is to forget about such expenses, which is counter to the whole point of using Quicken to control your expenses, i.e., subscriptions are anti Quicken.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • KayoKayo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Quicken is adding/has added a lot of new features that I don't want.  And I mean DON'T WANT.  I have  Quicken 2017 Deluxe using features available in Q 2015.  It works well for me with - at present - no killer bugs.  I follow investments in both a taxable portfolio and Roth and Standard IRAs.  My brokerage firm is  Direct Connect.  Also 2 credit cards and a local bank (Express Web Connect)

Also I keep no financial data on the internet - including NO "apps" on my smart phone, no cloud access to my financial data (therefore no associated bugs)

I hope this helps.
  • CharleneCharlene Member
    edited November 2018
    I've been using Quicken since 1999.  I currently have Quicken
    2017 Deluxe which works just fine for me since I don't use Quicken to connect
    to the Internet for anything (investments, bank accounts, bills, etc.), and I
    will never access my Quicken data using a smartphone.  Like Kayo, there
    will never be cloud access to my financial data.  Can anyone who has
    already subscribed to Quicken 2018 tell me any good reason(s) to upgrade to
    Quicken 2018 at an ongoing cost of $50 per year?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Charlene said:

@Charlene

Based on your use of Quicken in a COMPLETELY manual mode (everything entered via the keyboard) there is no need to upgrade except to have a version of Quicken that runs on your computer's current operating system. 

You could still be running Quicken 99 still if it would run properly on Win10. 

Do you need QW2018, probably not.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited January 2018
    Charlene said:

Thanks.  I've been debating myself about this for a month now.  The only new capability that I'd find convenient is output in Excel (rather than txt) format, but that's so minor I just couldn't see paying $50 a year for it.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Charlene said:

@Charlene:
    output in Excel (rather than txt) format
    What "output" are you looking for in that context?  My long-standing preference has been to Copy via clipboard from Quicken reports then pasting that report data into Excel.  No .txt involved. Been using that process for years - like more than 15 years. 
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Charlene said:

Also if you choose PRN format from the print menu and save with a CSV extension.you can open the file directly in Excel, without going through the text file import wizard.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
    edited January 2018
    Charlene said:

You are forgetting that you (a completely manual user) only have to buy Quicken a single time to get the latest features ( includes support for length of subscription that you buy) and then not buy it again until there is another new feature that you want.

Just like buying Q99 and then Q2008 and then Q2017 because there was something added or your OS had changed.

So, to get the Excel export, it just costs you a one time purchase (at the lowest price you can find) to get it.  There is nothing that requires you to repurchase at the end of the subscription.

NOTE:  All of the above applies to Quicken Deluxe and higher, Starter Edition reverts into read-only mode at the end of the subscription.
    Please note that the Quicken Data Access Guarantee is subject to all limitations and conditions outlined in the Terms of Use (U.S. or Canada) and End User License Agreement (U.S. or Canada). The Data Access Guarantee applies to Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken; the Starter version will become read-only.
    From this link: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

edited January 2018
    Charlene said:

Good point!  I hadn't thought of that.
    edited January 2018
    Charlene said:

Good point, splasher...I hadn't thought of that.
    q.lurker and Jim Harman:  I started using computers in 1984 with a dumb terminal accessing a mainframe at Wayne State University via 300 baud modem because I started designing databases for my company's operation.  Later the job included downloading stats from mostly public sources into databases I had designed for them in order to analyze local economic and demographic data.  Comparatively speaking, importing a txt file the way Quicken formats it is a breeze.  However, you both have suggested alternatives which may save a couple of clicks and I most certainly will try them.  Thanks. :)
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Based on your use of Quicken in a COMPLETELY manual mode (everything
    entered via the keyboard) there is no need to upgrade except to have a
    version of Quicken that runs on your computer's current operating
    system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.Good point, rjs, I forget that feature since I don't use it.

• TimEichmanTimEichman Member
    edited February 2018
    I've been a Quicken user since Version 3 (Windows 3.1), and have an account with transactions going back to 1992.  I got my entire family using Quicken in the late 90s, including a brother-in-law who's previous method of budgeting was a legal pad and briefcase of bank envelopes full of cash (one for each budget bucket). 

My wife and I have used Quicken longer than we've been married: I remember the day we merged our files together.  :) 

Sadly, over the last decade, I've found myself upgrading only when a copy goes End-of-Life.  Mainly due to the price involved in upgrading versus the "useful-to-me" features added each year.  And when I do upgrade, I find that I still have issues with random crashes and frequent recalculation delays after saving transactions (as noted, I have accounts with transactions back 25 years--and since they're stock accounts, that data is still necessary, so my file is rather large... and my PC isn't a relic--it is a gaming rig with 32GB of RAM and an Intel i7).  

As with previous releases, I plan on keeping my copy of 2017 running until the end.  I'll let you know in two years if I choose to remain loyal to Quicken and drink the subscription Kool-aid, or move on... 
    edited May 2018
    I've been using it since 1996 and still have every transaction for every account since then.  Unfortunately for us Canadian users, Quicken has decided that we have no choice.  We must buy the subscription or nothing at all.  I used to buy the software on Boxing Day sales for about $29.99 every 3 years.  Now I have to pay $89.99 per year.  When I upgraded last year from 2014 to 2017, there was absolutely no difference in the product, other than the addition of mobile capability, which is not very useful.  The core PC product, even now with the 2018 version which I was automatically upgraded to, is identical to the 2014 version.  I hope there are some changes for 2019.
  • BarryBarry Member
    edited January 2018
    This must be the biggest thread for some time. Maybe the current management have noticed that? AFAICS most people, as I suggested, buy upgrades when they are useful and don't want to be locked in to a sub. OTOH, the new owners want a better cash flow. Sort of a stand off, mostly affecting users who have live connections to their bank. For a cynic like me, I distrust banks more than I distrust companies who look for a sub!
  • MarkDMarkD Member
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.Good point except the Tax Planner doesn't work and hasn't for years (see separate thread on that!)
  • ChicagoDanChicagoDan Member
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.Just chiming in to concur that Tax Planner does not work.  I have QWin 2017.  It didn't work in 2017 and it works even less well in 2018.
  • Rick -Q17P UserRick -Q17P User Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    When you look at it .. 2018 comes with a price tag yearly @ 75 for Premier.  Whereas, the previous buy and use til sunset is cheaper over time (if you wait that long most change every 2 yrs) .. do the math.  What did you pay for your current version if you have not switched to 18 and divide by 3.  I bought 17P for 75 which is 23 yearly til sunset. 
    Just throwing it out there.
    edited May 2018
    Lucky you.   No sunset in Canada.  Forced to subscribe @ $89.95 per year. Cannot buy stand alone versions anymore.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.Have to disagree on Tax Planner. Since 2015, it has been pretty accurate. It has some quirks (random data can appear/disappear when you start changing inputs) and a few calculation errors, but if you take those into account, it's very accurate. 2018 tables will be updated soon; hopefully most of the new tax law changes will be in it but I suspect a few will be overlooked. The tax planner haters here either have a corrupted data file, can't understand/deal with Tax Planner quirks or just plain don't understand how it works with Quicken transactions. Prove me wrong with a screen shot of a Tax Planner issue not falling into the categories I mentioned. Better yet, join the Beta program and report them yourselves.
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.Here's some screenshots showing the latest example of problems I see.  I have the tax year set to 2017 and yet Quicken is pulling in the projected 2018 data.

On the other hand the Interest/Dividend Inc screen seems to be trying to pull in 2017 data but Dividends number is all wrong.  If I run the Investment income report its picking up the correct dividends.

I've run validation.  I've tried File Operation -> Copy.  No errors in both cases.  But the results above persist.  The tax planner is just not working.
  • KayoKayo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

When you look at it .. 2018 comes with a price tag yearly @ 75 for Premier.  Whereas, the previous buy and use til sunset is cheaper over time (if you wait that long most change every 2 yrs) .. do the math.  What did you pay for your current version if you have not switched to 18 and divide by 3.  I bought 17P for 75 which is 23 yearly til sunset. 

When you get down to it we also got at most 6 months to 1 year of serious bugs and 2 years of pretty good usage.  Yes maybe tax planner doesn't work for me.  Don't expect it to work, Don't use it. No problem.  Same with the "new" budgeting.
    edited January 2018

Yes.  You can use Quicken somewhat productively if you stay away from things like tax planner, online billers, mobile, express web connect connections, etc.  And also avoid all the silly gimmicks like the credit score, zillow, etc.  If you keep things basic you should be ok.
  • KayoKayo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Also, my brokerage firm has an excellent free bill pay option.  They also give me my credit score when I am curious about it.  The only things they don't do Quicken does very well.