Feature removed - would like it back, reconcile and future transactions

I've been using Quicken for decades.  I often pre-enter future transactions (paychecks, pending payments) in my check register so I can follow upcoming cash flow.  Before, those items were included in the reconcile window.  Now when I click reconcile, I only get transactions within what the system thinks is the statement date.  This is a deal-breaker for me - now my account is never in balance unless I include an artificial adjustment.  Can you offer the option of including all dates - as used to happen by default?  Using Premier 2018, R4.10.  

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi doc95ut, appreciate your question.

I have Premier 2018 as well, and was able to enter pre-planned deposits.. In Quicken 2018, there is a Bills and Income tab that shows you any future transactions as you enter them

All you would need to do is either schedule or manually enter a transaction for a future date and it will show in the Bills and Income tab:

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    "now my account is never in balance unless I include an artificial adjustment"

Your inability to reconcile can't be - absolutely can't be - because you can no longer see future dated transactions.  A reconcile is AS OF a date - we usually use the statement date provided by the bank - and ONLY includes transactions entered by the bank in their records on that date and before, and transactions entered by you in your accounting records on that date and before.

(Just to be clear, the dates I'm talking about are the "effective dates" of the transactions, that is transactions that that have a "Date" in the register on or before the statement date.  You might phyically enter a transaction in your register on or before the statement date, but if that transaction has a "Date" in the future, its that future date that its "effective date."  It simply doesn't play any role in a reconciliation.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I appreciate your answer(s).  Sounds like this will never be an option.  I don't want to belabor the point about "reconciliation."  I'd like to put those future transactions in my register and have those calculated into my balance, as I was always able to in previous versions of the software.  If that's not what you would call "reconciliation," so be it.  My point is that the default used to be that all dates were included in the "reconciliation" window, now they're not.  I'd just like the option.  
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I appreciate your answer(s).  Sounds like this will never be an option.  I don't want to belabor the point about "reconciliation."  I'd like to put those future transactions in my register and have those calculated into my balance, as I was always able to in previous versions of the software.  If that's not what you would call "reconciliation," so be it.  My point is that the default used to be that all dates were included in the "reconciliation" window, now they're not.  I'd just like the option.  

I guess where I've gotten confused about these conversations is that many of them, like you, seem to be referencing "cash flow" and, literally, a reconciliation has nothing to do with cash flow - it's a balance to balance process - and I don't understand how seeing future transactions in the reconciliation really contributes anything to understanding "cash flow".  (I have to admit that when the "old way" was in effect that confused the hell out of me.  I'd wonder why all those future-dated transactions were being listed out.)

I have lots and lots of future dated transactions in my checking Account in Quicken - both inflows and outflows - and if I want to understand cash flow I simply scroll down the register and when the balance turns negative I know I gotta get some cash in the account before then, one way or another.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Ditto:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

The "old way" was the wrong way, as far as reconciliation is concerned. There was whole thread of discussion on this topic...

Since the reconciliation is based on the posted date of a transaction, and not the entered date, the only place where it should cause a problem is when a bank sends the wrong data in the posted date, and that date falls outside the reconciliation period BUT then that is a problem with the bank sending wrong info and needs to be dealt with at that level. Otherwise, there should be no problem...future dated transactions should never be part of the period...that is not what reconciliation is for, as described by Tom Young...

This is how it was in older Mac versions, and now Quicken finally standardized the approach across all versions to do it right.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Arctic Hare
    edited March 2020

@smayer97: While I don’t disagree with any of the points you raised, It seems to me that this is not a reconciliation issue, it is a cash flow issue. I also have a lot of future dated transactions in my register, which I rely on to manage cash flow and avoid overdrafts, but those future dated transactions, thankfully, don’t (normally) appear in the reconciliation window. In fact, it is a major nuisance when a cleared transaction slips into the reconciliation window and it is not on the actual monthly statement because this requires me to manually and temporarily remove the cleared flag and remember to reset the cleared flag after completing the reconciliation.

As such, I absolutely do not want future transactions (I.e. after the statement date in the reconciliation window.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

I've seen the other thread where this has been discussed extensively.  Seems like an issue of preference and interpretation.  Happy to let the matter drop given the official response.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Artic Hare 
     As such, I absolutely do not want future transactions...
    If it wasn't clear, I agree with that statement...and that is how it works now.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Arctic Hare
    edited March 2020

I was agreeing with you and supporting your POV... but possibly not being very clear in that regard ;-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    May I suggest that you use Calendar feature to look at your future bank balances, and instead of entering future transactions into the register, add them into the Bill and Income Reminders feature which, for bank transactions, are then included in the Calendar tool.
This discussion has been closed.