Updating fund account with dividend reinvestments

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I have purchased shares in two funds with the same brokerage. I must enter most of the data manually (the share value is updated automatically using the ticker symbol). How can I enter dividend reinvestment data and still preserve the initial purchase entry? I am using the latest Quicken for Mac.

I connected with customer support on this and they were no help. Any ideas?

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    In my situation I download these transactions electronically; Suspect you would have to implement both the buy share quantity & the dividend income as two separate transactions. If you want to show reinvestment of dividends you would have to edit the buy transaction and convert it to reinvest dividends (dividend/# of shares & QM calculates the price/share). Then delete the dividend income transaction & you s/b good to go. Hope this helps.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    After creating a new transaction, put your cursor in the Type column and click the little up/down arrow icon. This will let you choose the Reinvest Dividends transaction type. From there, just fill in the fields. 

If for some reason the Type field is not showing, enable it via menu View > Columns.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

In my situation I download these transactions electronically; Suspect you would have to implement both the buy share quantity & the dividend income as two separate transactions. If you want to show reinvestment of dividends you would have to edit the buy transaction and convert it to reinvest dividends (dividend/# of shares & QM calculates the price/share). Then delete the dividend income transaction & you s/b good to go. Hope this helps.

Hello Concordman:
    I got the job done, however, it appears that I don't need to delete the dividend reinvestment transaction. Now I see how things work. Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

After creating a new transaction, put your cursor in the Type column and click the little up/down arrow icon. This will let you choose the Reinvest Dividends transaction type. From there, just fill in the fields. 

If for some reason the Type field is not showing, enable it via menu View > Columns.

Hello RickO:
    Thanks for the help. I got the job done and see how things work.
This discussion has been closed.