Why can't I delete old securities?

Jim Crosby
Jim Crosby Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have been using Quicken for ~20 years and have a long security list.  When I start a new year (in a new file with a new file name), I would like the option to be able to start with only active securities.  the only option now is to delete history, which is not a good option.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Have you tried hiding the securities you no longer hold? Go to Tools/Security list or hit Ctrl-Y and check the Hide box for the ones you no longer want to see in dropdowns.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim Crosby
    Jim Crosby Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    yes - I do hide those, but as symbols and names have changed, Quicken is starting to get "confused" when I try to use a similar sounding mutual fund.  It won't let me overwrite the names either.  I am beginning to believe, my only option is to start over, which is somewhat ridiculous when Quicken could provide the option to delete.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

In case you have missed it ... there's a new function available in Quicken for Windows 2018: Archive Transactions.

It's available from the investment account register's action gear icon.
    Handle with care. It's a new function and may not work for everybody. Do be sure to have or create a backup of your Quicken data file BEFORE you get started on this. Should the process fail while archiving transactions, you better restore your data file from the backup.

To read up on this new function:
    Open your investment account register
    Press F1 to start Quicken Help
    This will take you to a Help page with a click-selectable "Archive transactions" line.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Also new in QWin 2018, you can select securities in the Enter Transactions dialogs by typing the ticker rather than the security name. Also you can type just part of the name so "total" will narrow the list to Vanguard Total Stock Market, Vanguard Total Bond Market, and any other security that includes "total" in its name.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim Crosby
    Jim Crosby Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

In case you have missed it ... there's a new function available in Quicken for Windows 2018: Archive Transactions.

It's available from the investment account register's action gear icon.
    Handle with care. It's a new function and may not work for everybody. Do be sure to have or create a backup of your Quicken data file BEFORE you get started on this. Should the process fail while archiving transactions, you better restore your data file from the backup.

To read up on this new function:
    Open your investment account register
    Press F1 to start Quicken Help
    This will take you to a Help page with a click-selectable "Archive transactions" line.

Thanks for the info.  I heard about it, but couldn't find it.  It seems to be working. It  would have been nice to be able to assign a date (archive everything before ...), but it will certainly be better than where I was!
This discussion has been closed.