bond purchase shows as a loss

Options
chasfm11 .
chasfm11 . Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Purchase of a Bond shows a total loss.     Yesterday,  my broker purchased CDs in on of my accounts.  The transaction from the brokers webiste did not seem to work correctly in Quicken so I edited it to "buy bond" .   I correctly represented the number of shares purchased.in the Quicken transaction  But the "holdings" tab does not reflect those shares and shows the the item in the gain/loss column as a loss of the entire purchase price.   I

I have municipal  bonds, purchased years ago and registered in Quicken which do not have this problem.  I've tried to edit the recent transaction again to see what I could to to make it reflect the purchase as an asset but can find nothing that seems to affect that outcom

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It has been a long time since I held a CD, but Quicken by default does have a security type CD.  I would be inclined to manually create the security using that type and simply buy it in your account at $1/share, like a money market  No need to classify it as a Bond.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Make sure there are no Placeholders in your account that might cause this. Edit/Preferences/Investment transactions, make sure Show hidden transactions is checked.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • chasfm11 .
    chasfm11 . Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    q.lurker said:

It has been a long time since I held a CD, but Quicken by default does have a security type CD.  I would be inclined to manually create the security using that type and simply buy it in your account at $1/share, like a money market  No need to classify it as a Bond.

Thanks for your reply.   I just tried entering a "dummy" transaction, buying the same quantity and price and using the only available name in  the Quicken drop down security list "100K CD".   It works correctly and retains the value of the asset.    If I change the name of the asset on one of the two transactions yesterday, to 100KCD, it also retains the value of the asset.   If I attempt to change the name back to the original, the transaction drops the asset and goes back to 100% loss at purchase.
  • chasfm11 .
    chasfm11 . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have a work around.   I was able to create two new "unclassied" securities.   I deleted the original down loaded transactions.  I created two new transactions with the unclassied type and now the asset retention works.  I hope that I will be able to manually match future interest payments with each of the new manually created CD names in Quicken.   I used the online center to download from the broker and nothing changed after my actions.   We'll see what happens
  • chasfm11 .
    chasfm11 . Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

Make sure there are no Placeholders in your account that might cause this. Edit/Preferences/Investment transactions, make sure Show hidden transactions is checked.

Thanks.  I did add a check for "show hidden transactions"  It was not.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

I have a work around.   I was able to create two new "unclassied" securities.   I deleted the original down loaded transactions.  I created two new transactions with the unclassied type and now the asset retention works.  I hope that I will be able to manually match future interest payments with each of the new manually created CD names in Quicken.   I used the online center to download from the broker and nothing changed after my actions.   We'll see what happens

I would take a close look at the "100K..." securities in your security list (Ctrl-Y).  You will be able to delete any that now have no transactions associated with them.  Those I would delete.  Make sure any such remaining securities also make sense.  That should reduce the chance of future mis-steps between you and your brokerage.
  • chasfm11 .
    chasfm11 . Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks for your response.  I'm sure that my securities list is the composite of several different strategies since 2002 and probably would benefit from purging those where I no longer have investments.   I manually used the name 100k CD to see if I could work around the fact that the name of the institution which came in the broker's download did not retain its asset value in Quicken.   I guess I'm wondering why that should ever happen.  If I'm in a "bought shares" transaction,  how can the value of whatever name security that I bought not be retained by Quicken as part of my portfolio value?   It is has cost which reduces the cash amount in that account but the cash cost should not reduce the total value.  What am I missing?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

probably would benefit from purging those where I no longer have investments. 
    That is a concept that does not apply in Quicken.  If you have history in Quicken indicating past ownership of the security, you will not be able to delete that security.  You can only delete securities that have no transactions associated with them - ever in any account.  

I cannot speculate as to why the security coming through the download did not retain its asset value.  My first line of action there would probably be to delete and re-enter the transaction as was.  But at this stage, it seems there is little point to trying to figure out what did take place.  
  • chasfm11 .
    chasfm11 . Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks for your feedback.  I did try re-entering the transaction manually and as long as I used the downloaded name or something close it, the asset was not retained.   Perhaps it was just an anomaly.
This discussion has been closed.