Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)

Can I "find all duplicate amounts" in my register?

DebtectomyDebtectomy Member ✭✭
Quicken Windows 2017:

I am rebuilding my check register from a mistaken "accept all" I did yesterday.

I have a lot of duplicate entries, where one should be removed.  Well, they should have been "matched" and not "accepted".

In my master QDF, I have checking transactions going back only 79 days.  If possible, I'd like to re-populate going back to December 2016 so that I can do some data mining on my spending habits for 2017 and do some better budget planning for this year.

So in a working QDF, I've got the "old" register open.  It has transactions going back to early December, 2016.  All are "R", and many are lightning bolts downloaded from Quicken Bill Pay.  In each case where there's a lightning bolt, there's a nearby check transaction for the exact same amount, but with a different memo or category value.  It's a duplicate entry, and either they should be matched or one should be discarded.

If discarding, I'd like to keep the entry that came from the bank download and not the one that came from Quicken Bill Pay.

For example:

10/11/2017 <lightning bolt> Big Electric <no memo>  <no Category>  Debit: 32.77
10/11/2017 <null>  Big Electric <PPD ID: stuff here> <Bills & Utilities:Electric> Debit 32.77

Both entries are "R" and I only want the one with the actual category entry.

Question 1:  Any ideas on how I can do this without manually going through the register and deleting the dups?

Question 2:  I also have a few category corrections to make.  Okay, there's a lot of them.  Is there a way that I can execute a mass-change on a register, for example to change my AT&T U-verse entries from "Television" to "Internet"?
I have no affiliation with US Debt Clock.  But my country is handcuffed by debt.  It weakens us and it breaks my heart to see my taxes used to fund dumb, unnecessary, or rights-denying policies.

Comments

• MikeMike Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    #1. a.The only way(s) I know of is to manually delete them which takes forever.
          b.The other way is to use a previous back up file you made, hopefully you have. Then you would just have to download and enter transactions from that point. Much easier that way.
    Those are the backup files that Quicken prompts you, say for every 2 of 4th time you use quicken.
    That is unless you turned off that feature.
    c. Also I believe Quicken auto backs up those files.

If yours does they will be in "Documents" under quicken and/or quicken back up I believe. Just look around and look at the creation date on the quicken data files.
    Good luck and one of the reasons I hate accept all. Just one entry can screw you up.

#2 I do not believe you can change categories on previous transactions without doing each one manually. But you can regroup them I believe. You have the option to put categories at least on newly created categories in as subcategories of a master category.
    Example "Utilities" can have sub categories of say internet, TV, Phone, electric, etc.
    You have to play with this and check out the properties of those categories to see exactly what you can do.  Also when you delete a category it reverts to the closest master category, I believe. 
    Good Luck......  
  • Clayton200Clayton200 Member
    edited January 2018
    Mike said:

b.The other way is to use a previous back up file you made, hopefully you have. Then you would just have to download and enter transactions from that point. Much easier that way.
    Those are the backup files that Quicken prompts you, say for every 2 of 4th time you use quicken.

If yours does they will be in "Documents" under quicken and/or quicken back up I believe. Just look around and look at the creation date on the quicken data files.
    Good luck and one of the reasons I hate accept all. Just one entry can screw you up.

#2 I do not believe you can change categories on previous transactions without doing each one manually. But you can regroup them I believe. You have the option to put categories at least on newly created categories in as subcategories of a master category.
    Example "Utilities" can have sub categories of say internet, TV, Phone, electric, etc.
    You have to play with this and check out the properties of those categories to see exactly what you can do.  Also when you delete a category it reverts to the closest master category, I believe. 
    Good Luck......  

Sort the register on the Memo or Category Column. Then highlight all the ones in a group you want to delete. And delete them.

And yes you can change Categories on any of the transactions. Do a Find and Replace to get them all in one pass as opposed to one at a time.

Good luck ...
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    2)  IMO, you best option to recategorize is to use a Banking Transactions report.  Within that report window, you can select the applicable transactions, then click the edit button and the recategorize selection.  Be forewarned -- if you choose to delete a transaction from the report, you will be deleting it from the database, meaning totally gone.  

1)  for the amount reviews, I would try to sort the account by the check amount.  That will at least put all the $32.27 transactions together.  May still be a challenge if that is a recurring monthly charge, but overall I don't think it should be too tedious.  You may be able to use the Banking Transactions report for this task also. 
  • BillBill Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

At some point isn't it easy to restore your file to the day before?

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can sort the account by Order Entered. The transactions from yesterday's Accept All should be grouped together. Highlight and delete.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    mshiggins said:

You can sort the account by Order Entered. The transactions from yesterday's Accept All should be grouped together. Highlight and delete.

There is also the right-click "undo accept all" process.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Mike said:

Good Luck......  

@Clayton,  I think you are wrong

If you want to change transactions categorized as "Television" to "internet" use the re-categorize option.  Tools>Recategorize.  This gives you a list of transactions and allows you to choose the ones you want to change.

Does this do the job?
  • Clayton200Clayton200 Member
    edited January 2018
    q.lurker said:

2)  IMO, you best option to recategorize is to use a Banking Transactions report.  Within that report window, you can select the applicable transactions, then click the edit button and the recategorize selection.  Be forewarned -- if you choose to delete a transaction from the report, you will be deleting it from the database, meaning totally gone.  

1)  for the amount reviews, I would try to sort the account by the check amount.  That will at least put all the $32.27 transactions together.  May still be a challenge if that is a recurring monthly charge, but overall I don't think it should be too tedious.  You may be able to use the Banking Transactions report for this task also. 

Both very good options. I'm just glad it's not me tangled up in something like that.
  • DebtectomyDebtectomy Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Mike said:

Good Luck......  

Clayton's solution above is what worked for me.  More details below...
    I have no affiliation with US Debt Clock.  But my country is handcuffed by debt.  It weakens us and it breaks my heart to see my taxes used to fund dumb, unnecessary, or rights-denying policies.
    edited January 2018
    So the reason I wanted all of my transactions in my current register is because...well, I can sometimes be a very left-brained geek.  But this work was going to require far more than a "simple restore" from yesterday's backup, because I had added (and downloaded) from a bunch more accounts since the backup.  I didn't want to lose all that work.

But I'm also a creative type, so I decided on a "slightly" different path.

So here's what I did:
    1. Take a deep breath and do some "ooohhnmmms".  Okay, I didn't do the second part.
    2. Decided to just let go of my preconceptions about having all of my data in my current register.  Really, all I needed was to do some analysis on last year's bill-paying habits to decide if my consumer debt payments are big enough to warrant a 401k loan and small enough not to damage my retirement savings
    3. I opened the "old" register and did just that:  
    4. I sorted on Memo, and mostly got all the Quicken Bill Pay entries to rise to the top.  It was almost as easy as deleting all of the top rows, so that was a major part of my work.
    5. Next, I sorted by Category, then used Find/Replace to change those entries to use my own categories, which are more meaningful to me and my life today.  For example, time at the gun range falls under "Health and Fitness:Self Defense".  I don't know anybody who might think of self-defense as a part of one's own fitness, but I do!  I even created a couple of new sub-categories in other areas.  QWIN 2017 let me do all of that with only a few minor idiosyncrasies.
    6. Next, still working in the old file, I did my analysis.  This was not a full deep-dive, nor was it a full budget effort.  I still need to do a budget, and I still haven't decided what to do (about the loan), but I was able to answer my questions, which helped me realize that the problem is high-priority but not urgent enough to warrant a hasty decision.
    So that's that.  I would have liked to have brought those transactions into my current register, but in the end it wasn't necessary for me to get the answers I most needed in that moment.

Thank you all for your help!
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

So the reason I wanted all of my transactions in my current register is because...well, I can sometimes be a very left-brained geek.  But this work was going to require far more than a "simple restore" from yesterday's backup, because I had added (and downloaded) from a bunch more accounts since the backup.  I didn't want to lose all that work.

So here's what I did:

1. Take a deep breath and do some "ooohhnmmms".  Okay, I didn't do the second part.
    2. Decided to just let go of my preconceptions about having all of my data in my current register.  Really, all I needed was to do some analysis on last year's bill-paying habits to decide if my consumer debt payments are big enough to warrant a 401k loan and small enough not to damage my retirement savings
    4. I sorted on Memo, and mostly got all the Quicken Bill Pay entries to rise to the top.  It was almost as easy as deleting all of the top rows, so that was a major part of my work.
    5. Next, I sorted by Category, then used Find/Replace to change those entries to use my own categories, which are more meaningful to me and my life today.  For example, time at the gun range falls under "Health and Fitness:Self Defense".  I don't know anybody who might think of self-defense as a part of one's own fitness, but I do!  I even created a couple of new sub-categories in other areas.  QWIN 2017 let me do all of that with only a few minor idiosyncrasies.
    6. Next, still working in the old file, I did my analysis.  This was not a full deep-dive, nor was it a full budget effort.  I still need to do a budget, and I still haven't decided what to do (about the loan), but I was able to answer my questions, which helped me realize that the problem is high-priority but not urgent enough to warrant a hasty decision.
    So that's that.  I would have liked to have brought those transactions into my current register, but in the end it wasn't necessary for me to get the answers I most needed in that moment.

Glad you got it worked out. No need for the anguish if you use the sort by order entered and delete process.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 2018

So here's what I did:

Yes indeed!
This discussion has been closed.