Budget- wrong calculation

Paul24
Paul24 Member ✭✭
The high level category budget calculation is wrong.

After changing a sub-cat budget amount- the summary total is wrong.

I've closed the app and restarted thinking that would force a recalculation....

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    If you're talking about the budget feature, I too have experienced this issue. Usually it can be corrected simply by going into one of the subcategory amounts and changing the amount. That should force a recalculation.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Or, sometimes deleting the summary amount forces the recalculation.....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Same problem with 2017 v15.  Only started happening today.  Closed Quicken and restarted computer.  No luck. Actually got worse with zeroes where there were numbers. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Got oops.  restarted and back to original problem.  Summary balance of rollup incorrect, reporting thousands less.  Can't trust overall balance; doing hand calculations! And I'm paying for this program?  What other software is out there?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Does Quicken look at these complaints, or are we on our own?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I"m having the same problem, too
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm seeing an incorrect total Personal Income amount. The visible numbers don't add up to what Quicken puts for the month total. Makes the whole budget wrong.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Appears it doesn't include anything in an "Other" category.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Tom L said:

How do I access the “other” category in the budget?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Tom L said:

"Other" automatically appears as a sub category, but not in every case.  Not sure what triggers it.  However, it's inconsistent in whether it is included in the total of that category or not.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Tom L said:

It doesn't show up in the budget.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018

If you're talking about the budget feature, I too have experienced this issue. Usually it can be corrected simply by going into one of the subcategory amounts and changing the amount. That should force a recalculation.

The ONLY way I have been able to make sure the high level totals are correct after changing lower subcategory amounts, is to click on the category total block, delete and hit return, then repeat for each month.  Quicken needs a REFRESH button or capability.  I was operating for months on numbers that didn't update automatically. That shouldn't have happened.
  • RonR
    RonR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Generally, I find the budget feature unwieldy, at best.  The high level number is wrong in several categories.  For example, I have a Vacation category with several subcategories (e.g., lodging, food, etc.).  Where I have found the high level number to be incorrect, what I have found is that when I input the expense, I failed to select a subcategory.  Quicken seems to throw into something called "Vacation (Other)".  This automatically generated category does not appear in the budget report.  When I went to the transaction and changed it to a specific subcategory, it appears in the budget.  However, the high level number remains out of balance.  This should be that complicated.  Quicken 2007 was a much better product in this regard.  The latest is not the least bit intuitive, and it has bugs.  Crazy.
  • RonR
    RonR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Forgive the typos.  Meant to say "should not be that complicated".
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018

RonR, I suggest you use Report a Problem on the Quicken Help menu to detail an example of a total not being correct. If you can describe it in a way someone else can reproduce it, it's most likely to get passed to the developers as a bug.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.