2»

Comments

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Based on your use of Quicken in a COMPLETELY manual mode (everything
    entered via the keyboard) there is no need to upgrade except to have a
    version of Quicken that runs on your computer's current operating
    system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.Tax Planner has always been a Current Year/Previous Version Year module despite the years shown in the pull-down box. On January 1, Quicken is very annoying because the year of most interest, Last Year, is basically not accessible in the Planner  unless you set your computer clock to December 31. Eventually, Quicken updates the planner for the version year (usually in April but hopefully now in their next release). Then the Years make sense again. I'm hoping and advocating that Quicken switch the Planner to function in a Current Year/Last Year mode. That would make rolling over to a new year less painful. Further the IRS publishes changed tax rates at the end of October for the next year (last year being the exception with tax law changes in December) so there should be time for a subscription model Quicken to provide an updated Tax Planner by the end of December for the following year.

In your first screen, despite 2017 being shown, Current Year has always been used in the calculations and transaction retrieval. Since you have 2018 transactions entered, the Details section displays them and uses them in the Planner to calculate tax owed based on rates in the tax table (still 2017 at this point). When the 2018 rates are updated, your Year selections will change to 2018 and 2017; my hope is Quicken will  show Current Year/Last Year. In any case the Planner is behaving as designed and won't provide a good estimate until the 2018 rates and changes are incorporated. What I will say is that on December 31, Quicken would have provided you a good estimate of your 2017 tax owed.

Your second screen shows how Quicken is designed to estimate values until such time as transactions or scheduled reminders are incorporated for the current year. Read the Help files for more details, but Quicken essentially uses last year's data until such time as Current Year data is available to the Planner. So since you have not recorded or scheduled any Interest for the Current Year, Quicken assumes since you had some last year, you will have some again and includes it with a little something extra for inflation. If that is not the case for a given Planner input, a User Input of zero is required to override this built-in assumption.

Hope that helps.
  • ChicagoDanChicagoDan Member
    edited January 2018

When you look at it .. 2018 comes with a price tag yearly @ 75 for Premier.  Whereas, the previous buy and use til sunset is cheaper over time (if you wait that long most change every 2 yrs) .. do the math.  What did you pay for your current version if you have not switched to 18 and divide by 3.  I bought 17P for 75 which is 23 yearly til sunset. 
    Just throwing it out there.

Yea, I use my bank’s free bill pay for years and it’s great. I don’t understand why people go they the pain of trying to setup quickens bill pay especially since it now requires sending in all sorts of documentation to prove you are who you say you are. But I suppose they have their reasons.

I can get credit score from my various credit card websites and it actually works as opposed to quicken.
  • DanRDanR Member
    edited January 2018
    Kayo said:

Quicken is adding/has added a lot of new features that I don't want.  And I mean DON'T WANT.  I have  Quicken 2017 Deluxe using features available in Q 2015.  It works well for me with - at present - no killer bugs.  I follow investments in both a taxable portfolio and Roth and Standard IRAs.  My brokerage firm is  Direct Connect.  Also 2 credit cards and a local bank (Express Web Connect)

Also I keep no financial data on the internet - including NO "apps" on my smart phone, no cloud access to my financial data (therefore no associated bugs)

I hope this helps.

You just said you have 2 credit cards and a local bank along with IRAs - and all are accessible on the internet - therefore - you certainly do keep financial data on the internet ......
  • KayoKayo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Kayo said:

Quicken is adding/has added a lot of new features that I don't want.  And I mean DON'T WANT.  I have  Quicken 2017 Deluxe using features available in Q 2015.  It works well for me with - at present - no killer bugs.  I follow investments in both a taxable portfolio and Roth and Standard IRAs.  My brokerage firm is  Direct Connect.  Also 2 credit cards and a local bank (Express Web Connect)

Also I keep no financial data on the internet - including NO "apps" on my smart phone, no cloud access to my financial data (therefore no associated bugs)

I hope this helps.

Tou chez.  At least it passes through the internet.  And I hope (foolishly, perhaps) it doesn't stay there.  I don't intentionally instruct Quicken to keep it there.

Maybe Apr. 30, 2020 will be a blessing for me.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Kayo said:

I hope this helps.

Your data doesn't stay on the internet?? It is available to anyone who has your user name and password for the credit card or bank accounts. 

If you use Direct Connect for Quicken to access your accounts, your encrypted transactions and balances are sent directly from your financial institutions to your desktop, roughly the same risk as accessing the FI's website through your browser.

This is less risk, I would argue, than receiving statements in the mail. 
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.It would certainly be nice if there was a way to get it to estimate the taxes I will owe in April based on my 2017 actuals without having to set my clock back to Dec. 31.

Also I think it treats all taxable dividends the same, and does not account for qualified dividends. This makes it pretty much useless for people with any significant income from qualified dividends.

We should probably start a separate thread about the Tax Planner.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.QDI can now be entered as a User Input value in the Tax Planner Interest and Dividends screen. It moves that User designated income to the bucket that calculates tax for LTCG.
  • CharleneCharlene Member
    edited January 2018
    Kayo said:

I hope this helps.

I use password manager software (not connected to the Internet) to generate passwords for all Internet access.  All of my passwords are unique and easily changed.  I access investment, credit card and bank accounts individually online, but I've never used Quicken's Direct Connect.  While nothing is 100% secure when the Internet is involved, there are steps that individuals can take to minimize the risk.
  • KayoKayo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Kayo said:

I hope this helps.

Jim, As an ex-software engineer, involved in software development as the internet evolved, I think the internet is still very untrustworthy.  I do not allow any program including Quicken to store my passwords.  If I can't remember them I am out of luck.  I understand the risks I am taking, letting data pass through the internet.  Up to an extent convenience reigns.

Statements sent in the mail contain data but not passwords.  My statement does not allow someone just looking at the statement to write checks. 

To avoid the US mail I assume you take all your bill payments to your creditors by hand.  If my statements can be stolen so can your bill payments AND your bill payments contain a copy of your signature.
  • MarkDMarkD Member
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.markus1957 unfortunately your explanation is even more confusing than Tax Planner itself. You are confirming that as of January 1 st of current year it no longer works. This in addition to other issues such as unable to calculate IRA conversion to Roths and other quirks
  • MarkDMarkD Member
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.markus1957 unfortunately your explanation is even more confusing than Tax Planner itself. You are confirming that as of January 1 st of current year it no longer works. This in addition to other issues such as unable to calculate IRA conversion to Roths and other quirks
  • MarkDMarkD Member
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.I used to use TaxAct for my taxes  because it has a calculator/estimator for the following year's taxes. I switched to Turbotax last year because of the TaxAct price increase and thought that (since Turbotax DOESN'T have a future year estimator) I would use Quicken's tax planner.

Now I'm planning to go back to TaxAct and forget about  Quicken's unreliable Tax Planner
  • KayoKayo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.Last I knew TurboTax does have a future tax estimator.  I've used it.  Perhaps they have discontinued it.
  • ChicagoDanChicagoDan Member
    edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.Thanks for the explanation markus1957.  That's some pretty poor design. To any ordinary Quicken user that looks like a bug.

This is what is so infuriating about Quicken.  It has all my financial data and its tax planner is useless to me because of some really poor design.

I could manually enter the numbers myself in a scenario but why use Quicken for that when there's lots of other products that do the same and I have more trust in?  My trust in this product diminishes each and every day.  Last year when I was trying to evaluate whether I should try to prepay my property taxes ( I live in one of those high tax states ) I didn't use Quicken's Tax Planner because its behavior is so weird.

Instead of fixing something simple like this, Quicken wastes time with things like:
    1) The bill reminder changes in 2018
    2) adding gimmicks like credit score and zillow

Or they add features which arguably could be useful but are so buggy I stay away from them for fear of corrupting my file, for example:
    1) Quicken mobile
    2) Online billers

One of my hopes for the new subscription model was that Quicken wouldn't feel like it needed to keep adding new crap to get users to sign up.  But so far it looks like business as usual.

Anyways, thanks again for the insight.
  • DebtectomyDebtectomy Member
    edited January 2018

When you look at it .. 2018 comes with a price tag yearly @ 75 for Premier.  Whereas, the previous buy and use til sunset is cheaper over time (if you wait that long most change every 2 yrs) .. do the math.  What did you pay for your current version if you have not switched to 18 and divide by 3.  I bought 17P for 75 which is 23 yearly til sunset. 

Hi.  Well, I'll give you my two main reasons for going with Quicken Bill Pay.  But you've made me rethink this a bit, so please read on...

1.  When I was deciding on a bill pay service (what, was that 20 years ago?), I had read something that said that most people will avoid terminating a service if it's "too hard" to terminate it.  It's amazing how long people will stick with a bank that they hate.  They'll stick with a cable company that they hate, or an internet service, local or long-distance phone service, or insurance company, because they dread the hassle of making the change more than they hate the service.

We humans will even put up with a doctor or dentist who makes us uncomfortable!

I went with Quicken Bill Pay because I figured if I ever become dissatisfied with my bank, it would be easier for me to leave.  I just make one change in Quicken Bill Pay (the bank my funds are drawn from) and I don't have to re-enter any payee details.

Now, there are some hassles that come with QBP, so I'm reconsidering after all this time...

2.  Quicken Bill Pay is not the bank, so they don't benefit from overdraft charges.  In other words, QBP doesn't have any potential conflict of interest in the "order" in which they issue online payments.  At one time, there was a problem with bank bill pay services sending the largest charges through first, which would be more likely to force the payor's balance to fall below zero faster.  This would result in the payor having to pay more overdraft or other charges than one would get with a bill-pay service that didn't necessarily always send the largest check through first. 

I wasn't trying to save money on overdraft fees.  I was just uncomfortable that the banks had a potential conflict of interest in this area.

However!

Since QBP is a form of "subscription" (read my first post on my hatred of subscriptions), that's a good enough reason for me to review it this year and decide if I should switch to my bank's billpay service at this time.
    I have no affiliation with US Debt Clock.  But my country is handcuffed by debt.  It weakens us and it breaks my heart to see my taxes used to fund dumb, unnecessary, or rights-denying policies.
  • Lauren BabusLauren Babus Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    We only update when needed but Quicken 2015 will be dead in the water in April so we will be using 2018.  I hate subscriptions too and wish we didn't have to but we have been using quicken for so many years and, despite some complaints, it works well for us.  So.....
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

QWin 2017 is working OK. Many prefer it over 2018. Quicken Inc plans to continue support, including bank and investment downloads, through April 2020.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

There is the ALT-Tab focus issue, the click through issue that are large impediments to the usability of the program.  I do not use the "tags" so I am not aware of that issue.  Quicken needs to make a BIG PUSH to fix all of the outstanding issues.  Q 2017 is good to April, 2020, hopefully by then there will be an improvement.
  • DJWDJW Member
    edited January 2018
    An Avid user since 80's I despise the subscription model. I use the sunset method for upgrades (only after I complete my taxes).

I rely heavily on Account updates as a tracking mechanism for tracking Business and Rental Expenses. I want the Data on my Local Machine not on somebody elses servers (That is what banks are for)

All the other bells and whistles seem to be so unpredictable I quit trying. (Especialy Tax preparation functions) this makes the upgrades almost painless.

I would gladly pay if consideration was given to the bugs\enhancements I have reported over the years. It is just not in the culture..

Maybe someday they will break the bloated App in to pieces that target individual Use Groups.
  • SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

It took me 6 months to terminate my relationship with PayTrust  (I had been a customer since 1999) which is administered by Metevante (the same people who do Quicken Bill Pay).  They outright REFUSED to close my account, the kept giving me "free" months to stay.  It was only after I threatened an attorney that they finally relented and they screwed that up forcing me to close my personal bank account and opening another because somebody from Metevante REOPENED my PayTrust account and tried to access my funds AFTER IT WAS CLOSED.

Quicken tech support is soooo much better that the "support" from metevante.

edited January 2018

system.
    The other reason would be to stay current with date-related features such as the Tax Planner.2018 R5 has been made available for manual download. https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows