Tax Planner does not work after update to 2018 Premier for Windows

2»

Comments

• Mark279Mark279 Member
    edited January 2018
    swedtex said:

After I updated Q deluxe 2017 to 2018, I lost all the user entered data for the 2017 tax year.  Now for my 2017 tax scenario I get a mish mash of 2017 data from quicken and 2018 projected data which is totally useless.  Any way to recover tax planner scenario/data I had before the  update?  Is Q planning on a fix/update soon?

so far, no answer to this problem that is getting down to the wire for those of us who have faithfully relied upon Quicken Tax Planner to help determine the payment for out last quarter estimated federal tax. The number i am getting is far more than wqas predicted late December.
  • Quicken SangeethaQuicken Sangeetha Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    As other users have stated above, we are still working on the tax changes for 2018. We will release a part of the fix (refresh of just tax rates and limits) soon followed by all enhancements due to new tax laws.
  • Tony4Tony4 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Thanks. I understand that Tax Planner erroneously takes information from the wrong tax year if there are no transactions in the Correct year. That needs to be fixed. And the dropdown box shows functionality for tax years 2016 and 2017 only. That needs to be fixed. And the responsible person at Quicken should be embarassed- or fired.

Q18 Premier does not use 2017 data when selecting 2017 tax year.  We understand that the tax bill changes things for 2018.  How about giving us the ability to look at 2017 when using Q2018.
  • Mark279Mark279 Member
    edited January 2018

As other users have stated above, we are still working on the tax changes for 2018. We will release a part of the fix (refresh of just tax rates and limits) soon followed by all enhancements due to new tax laws.

With all respect to Sangeetha from Quicken, the problem isn't clear to Quicken so I will try to clarify it for Quicken and the community:

1. for year, the next update of Q allowed users to use the tax planner for the previous year (i.e. q2017 allowed uses to still input 2016 as the year for the tax planner and the planner would populate with the correct figures from Q for tax year 2016 up until the final tax filing date in October 2017.

2. Many of us use the tax planner to help with calculating taxes for the prior year up until the filing date, so the data from the prior year was automatically populated when we chose the correct tax year (i.e. 2016 in Q2017)

3. HOWEVER, in Q2018, when attempting to choose to look at your tax status for the prior year (2017) to help with figuring out your final estimated tax payment due January 14, 2018 and your taxes due April 15, 2018 or later if an extension was filed for, yields a figure that is totally useless because it uses projected data from 2018, data from 2016, and little if, if any, data from the year you are trying to calculate youru taxes for, in this case 2017.

THIS IS A MAJOR FLAW THAT I AM SURPRISED QUICKEN ALLOWED TO BE RELEASED WITH THEIR NEW SOFTWARE SUBSCRIPTION PACKAGE. 

It has rendered one of the most important planning tools i use in 
    Quicken TOTALLY USELESS and has wasted countless hours trying to find a work aroundl.

Sangeetha: WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED????

• Tony4Tony4 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

We should be able to project for 2018 or change the year to 2017 to review 2017's data and it's tax implications.  The current release only has 2016 and 2017 to select and when selecting 2017, it uses 2018's data.
  • DesertOasisDesertOasis Member
    edited January 2018

Brilliant programming that doesn't filter to 2017 data to use in the 2017 Tax Planner.

Wonder who the genius is that decided to use 2018 data for tax year 2018?
  • Mark279Mark279 Member
    edited January 2018

Despite all the posts about a timely feature ( 4th quarter estimates are due next week) that doesn't work at all, Quicken, the company, is remaining very quiet on this. Is forcing me to go to Inuit and get their Turbo Tax.
  • edited January 2018

Regarding the issue of purchasing TurboTax because Quicken Tax Planner is currently useless: in view of the modest penalties and interest charges that would apply to most individuals who underpay a Q4 estimated tax, maybe you should just make your best guess! Your guess would probably be closer than anything you can get from the embarassingly poor Quicken product.
  • Mark279Mark279 Member
    edited January 2018

Thank you. For most that statement would be true. But not for me.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited November 2018
    From an Eric Dunn/Quicken email this morning: "...And as we approach tax season, Quicken’s tax planner will be updated by the end
    of this month to help you assess the impact of the new tax law passed by
    Congress at the end of 2017..."
  • Mark279Mark279 Member
    edited April 2018
    That is fine, Eric Dunn, CEO. But it is now, today, tax season for 2017 for many of us working on our 2017 returns and trying to estimate the payments needed for 4th quarter estimated taxes for 2017. Your company removed that capability from Q2018, and hasn't addressed it replacement leaving some of us in a major dilemma for 2017.

Thanks Quicken for your apparent lack of concern for faithful customers.
  • Quicken SangeethaQuicken Sangeetha Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I understand your concern. The problem is because Quicken considers 'current year' which changes to 2018 on January. It has been this way all these years and usually since we release a tax patch early January, this issue was not noticed. This year however, our tax patch is delayed due to the changes and hence this issue is cropping up. We have made the 'usual' year update as part of tax patch that is coming out latest by early next week. We are also fixing the tool to use the 'right quicken year' irrespective of the calendar year so that this issue never occurs again. 
  • Mark279Mark279 Member
    edited January 2018

It's a little late for 4th quarter accurate estimated federal tax payments due tomorrow. Moving my computer clock back doesn't resolve the issue either.
  • Charlie RCharlie R Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Nearly the same problem for me. Tax Planner advertises capability to estimate 2017 and 2018 tax years, but the drop-down menu offers 2016 and 2017. And when I choose 2017, data from 2016 is populated. Useless so far. My updates are current, so this gross error remains unfixed.

I owned Quicken 2017 Home & Bus that would have ended in 2020 and upgraded to 2018 premier that ends in Dec 2019 and it has a lot of issues, what did i pay for? NOT Happy.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    2018 R5 has been made available for manual download. https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows
  • JerryCJerryC Member ✭✭
    edited January 11
    the link goes to R4 (maybe)
    https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.4.10MPatch.EXE

both mondo patch and manual update links come back "File not found.""
    edited January 2018
    JerryC said:

yeah, lucky for you; there were some issues. It's been pulled back.
  • mistertheplaguemistertheplague Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    JerryC said:

Sigh. Really trying to root for these folks. 
    edited January 11
    The new R5 patch is out. Tax Planner looks pretty good for 2018. 

To get 2017 data to show you have to toggle date to 2016, then back to 2017 and you will see date change from 2018 to 2017 in upper left section and then "Next" will take you to 2017 details.

To return to 2018, close the planner and reopen it.

Hopefully they will fix that in the next patch.
This discussion has been closed.