tax planner

Roy KatschkeRoy Katschke Member
edited January 25 in
As of 1 Jan 18 the Quicken Premier tax planner information is incorrect. It is trying to get 2018 data for 2017 projections. If I change the computer clock back to Dec 31, 2017 the information is correct. When I change the computer clock back to the correct 2018 date the information is incorrect. I seem to remember this was a problem last year when the new year started.

Comments

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Yep, it's been like this for several years.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Roy,

Sorry you're experiencing this trouble, please review https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/update-12-22-17-quicken-will-be-ready-for-new-ta....  An update will be released to correct the tax planner. Thank you for your patience regarding this issue.  

-Quicken Tyka 
    -Quicken Tyka
  • mtn_livingmtn_living Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    seeing same problem, what a PITA
  • Ray CosnerRay Cosner Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Hey Roy,

Sorry you're experiencing this trouble, please review https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/update-12-22-17-quicken-will-be-ready-for-new-ta....  An update will be released to correct the tax planner. Thank you for your patience regarding this issue.  

-Quicken Tyka 

I'm having this problem too.  "Quicken Tyka", the issue has nothing to do with the recent changes to US tax law for 2018.  The question is about seeing the tax situation for 2017, now that all income and expenses for 2017 are in Quicken.  The goal is to have a final estimate of what my 2017 US tax bill will be.  This info would be very helpful in determining what estimated 2017 taxes should be paid, if any, in the installment due to Uncle Sam on Jan 15, 2018.
  • John LukesJohn Lukes Member
    edited January 2018

Hey Roy,

-Quicken Tyka 

Quicken Tyka, I also am seeing that the Tax Planner is not showing 2017 data today when it was all there before the end of 2017.  Again, this has nothing to do with the new tax law.  And, yes, I selected 2017 as the year in the Tax Planner.
  • Roy KatschkeRoy Katschke Member
    edited January 2018
    It appears to me this is an overt (and in my mind a "sleazy") way to force Quicken users to purchase their Turbo Tax (or other tax) software early. Personally, I don't start my taxes until late Mar when I have all my tax forms (k1's, etc.) and Intuit has worked most of the bugs out of Turbo tax (i.e., updates).
      Come on, Intuit! We're going to use Quicken and Turbo Tax because they are the best not because of incompetent programmers or underhanded tactics. Work with us. Customer satisfaction is the best guarantee of success.
    edited January 2018
    seems like a bug to me and not malevolent intent, changing computer date temporarily is the best workaround
  • DesertOasisDesertOasis Member
    edited January 2018

seems like a bug to me and not malevolent intent, changing computer date temporarily is the best workaround

Actually...that's a lousy workaround.

Why can't Quicken filter to accept only 2017 transactions for the tax year 2017 in it's own Tax Planner?

Ridiculous. 
    edited January 2018

it isn’t ideal but it works until quicken fixes the bug. if enough people comment on here maybe it will get fixed soon. recently i noted a bug on here and got a thank you from quicken and it was fixed in next revision. if you think it’s too ridiculous then don’t use it.
  • edited January 2018
    Like the others in this thread, I find the tax center in Quicken is now trying to use 2018 projections to calculate 2017 taxes instead of the actual 2017 data. I wish Quicken would hurry up and fix this.
  • DesertOasisDesertOasis Member
    edited January 2018

Like the others in this thread, I find the tax center in Quicken is now trying to use 2018 projections to calculate 2017 taxes instead of the actual 2017 data. I wish Quicken would hurry up and fix this.

This situation has been going on since Quicken 2010.

I doubt that Quicken staffers feel that this is an important enough situation for them to fix.

They'd be very wrong. 
    edited January 11
    2018 R5 has been made available for manual download. https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows
    edited January 11
    Thank for the alert on the update. Just installed it, still a mess, here's what I see so far:

1) I go into Planning/Tax Center; shows combo of actual (cap gains) and projected data in left Projected Tax pane using 2018 rates, all good. Got a bit of a tax cut. Nice, didn't need it and increases deficit but oh well.

2) Open Tax Planner, shows same info, so far so good. Try to change year, only shows 2017, 2016 as choices, no way to select 2018, OOPS.

3) Change year to 2017 and it's pulling 2017 data for some areas with a 2018 inflation projection add on, same as it uses for 2018. For capital gains it's pulling 2018 actual capital gains with no way to pull 2017 capital gains other than manual enter a summary number, for interest/divs pulling data from 2017 but with 2018 inflation increase projection added. Basically on first glance 2017 shows same tax due as 2018 does.

4) Cannot seem to shift year or rates to 2017 at all. I change to 2017 rates in Rates window and nothing happens, doesn't stick, continues to show 2018 rates. I try to select 2017 as the year versus 2016, nothing changes.

Quicken Premier 2018, latest mondo patch installed. Windows 10.
    edited January 2018

Thank for the alert on the update. Just installed it, still a mess, here's what I see so far:

1) I go into Planning/Tax Center; shows combo of actual (cap gains) and projected data in left Projected Tax pane using 2018 rates, all good. Got a bit of a tax cut. Nice, didn't need it and increases deficit but oh well.

2) Open Tax Planner, shows same info, so far so good. Try to change year, only shows 2017, 2016 as choices, no way to select 2018, OOPS.

3) Change year to 2017 and it's pulling 2017 data for some areas with a 2018 inflation projection add on, same as it uses for 2018. For capital gains it's pulling 2018 actual capital gains with no way to pull 2017 capital gains other than manual enter a summary number, for interest/divs pulling data from 2017 but with 2018 inflation increase projection added. Basically on first glance 2017 shows same tax due as 2018 does.

4) Cannot seem to shift year or rates to 2017 at all. I change to 2017 rates in Rates window and nothing happens, doesn't stick, continues to show 2018 rates. I try to select 2017 as the year versus 2016, nothing changes.

Don't do a One Step Update. Hundreds of old transactions may download from investment accounts.
    edited January 2018

Yikes, thanks for warning.
    edited January 2018

I backed my file up and then tested this. In my case it pulled down anywhere from 2 to ten very old transactions per account and even in some accounts that I haven't used in two years. I was able to delete them and then did one step update and it didn't repeat. Be sure to report this stuff through Help/Report a problem in Quicken so it gets into their bug log.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited January 2018

LOL, I did the same thing as mtn_living and picked up 176 duplicate transactions. This would be hilarious if it weren't so important to so many!

How can this be called a "FIX" by any definition?

Edit:

Tried to use the Report A Problem function and got back UNABLE TO SEND TO QUICKEN. PLEASE TRY AGAIN.
    edited January 11
    The new R5 patch is out. Tax Planner looks pretty good for 2018. 

To get 2017 data to show you have to toggle date to 2016, then back to 2017 and you will see date change from 2018 to 2017 in upper left section and then "Next" will take you to 2017 details.

To return to 2018, close the planner and reopen it.

Hopefully they will fix that in the next patch.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited January 2018

To get 2017 data to show you have to toggle date to 2016, then back to 2017 and you will see date change from 2018 to 2017 in upper left section and then "Next" will take you to 2017 details.

And this is what happens when I try to install the QW27.1.5.15Patch.EXE Patch:

So now what do I do?
    edited January 2018

Uninstall and reinstall. It will likely stop at R4. Then apply the new R5 mondo
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited January 2018

LOL, I'd just got Tax Planner working close to right and I have an aversion to uninstall for nearly anything. Oh well...

Edit:

Figured I had nothing to lose, so I ran Mondo and now: "God's In His Heaven. All's Right With The World". Thanks for the Mondo recommendation. I didn't figure it would run if the regular patch wouldn't run. So much for what I know. But I know more now.

Thanks again markus1957

Quicken 2018 Premier, Version R5.15, Build 27.1.5.15
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)
  • John LukesJohn Lukes Member
    edited January 2018

Marcus1957, I am confused and would appreciate your help.  In your note above you said that an R5 was available.  I now have Quicken Premier 2018 R4.10 and when I click to see if an update is available I'm told that I have the latest version.  I have clicked around on the Tax Planner and have gone back to 2016 and then to 2017 and the data shown is still bad.  I also don't have a 2018 choice option on the dropdown - which is a change from before.  What to do?
    edited January 2018

Apply Mondo patch from this link. It's not in general release yet but you can apply it manually.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-2018-release-quicken-windows
  • edited January 2018
    @markus, I downloaded 5.15 from within QW18 and restarted with no fuss. TP now toggles between 2017/2018 using correct yearly data.

However, with 2018 selected TP still shows exemptions and a standard deduction of $12,700. Is my update borked or have they not updated TP to reflect the new regime?
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    R5.15 auto downloaded this AM.
    Checked Tax Planner

Can someone check thier planner under Interest and Dividends and see if Quicken is using data from 2017?

Quicken Windows Premier 2019
    Windows 10 Pro 1809
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited January 2018
    jl747 said:

Checked Tax Planner

Can someone check thier planner under Interest and Dividends and see if Quicken is using data from 2017?

Just looked at mine and it's using 2018 Est Based on YTD Daily Avg. This is one section I can't seem to get it to use Scheduled Bills & Deposits.
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited January 2018
    jl747 said:

Checked Tax Planner

I didn't see any mention in the Release Notes about this, but it appears this patch fixed the bug of downloading old/duplicate Investment Transactions. All accounts just updated flawlessly.
    edited January 2018
    jl747 said:

Checked Tax Planner

@jl747- The Interest section is showing 2018 in my install. I have one actual entry and some scheduled monthly deposits. If you have no 2018 data yet it should show 2017 plus an inflation amount; so even in that case your screen is not quite right. Also, the TurboTax date will always be the last year of TT data you imported. Mine's 2016 also.

I also noticed this morning my Year pull-down options in Scenario box is now 2018/2017. Last night they were still 2017/2016. Either they pushed a minor change out or Tax Planner is still a little glitchy.

@mistertheplague- Exemptions are shown but the dollar value is zero. Deductions should reflect the new amounts; in my case married joint of 24,000 and single of 12,000 show as they should. All rates are updated with new tax law changes best I can tell. QDI, AMT and Schedule A Itemized Deductions even seem to incorporate the new tax law changes.
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    jl747 said:

Checked Tax Planner

@markus1957
    Thanks.

I just figured that out.
    Quicken Windows Premier 2019
    Windows 10 Pro 1809
  • edited January 2018
    jl747 said:

Checked Tax Planner

@markus, closing out the program and reopening it did the trick. Thanks as always.