Upgrade Quicken or else

I was force to use your software because Money went out of business shortly after it was sold.  You have impressive software and I like it but I am too old for this nonsense.  My software works just fine, thank you.  Why would I need to keep buying the newest version to keep it.  Why would you make it so I can no longer use the software I paid for?

I am constantly puzzled by these actions.  No, I will not pay monthly for MS office, I will pay for one set of software and use it.  I do not like the "be in debt to software' model you are all using.  It is financially irresponsible, which is the total opposite reason I got a financial software program in the first place.

Please make it so my software still works as I did pay in US currency to use something that is barely three years old.  My great grandmother's rotary phone still works with no upgrades, why can't Quicken 2015?

Lucien Lockhart
lucilockhart using gmail.

Comments

• edited December 2018

@Lucien: I love your rotary phone analogy... but, it does require a bit of a tune up to make it accurate.

As I recall, you could either rent or buy rotary phones back when they were in vogue. Lets, for argument sake, say we are purchasers of said rotary phone.

The Quicken software is analogous to the rotary phone, but the Quicken connections to your financial institutions are like the monthly fees one would pay to enable the rotary phone to connect to other phones.

You are welcome to use your rotary phone - and your Quicken software - for as many years as you'd like, but there is a recurring fee, call it a subscription cost if you will, if you want to continue to connect with other phones (or financial institutions, in the case of Q).

I would go so far as to argue that the Q software still offers it's "owner" considerably more utility if the user stops paying for the connection service than is true of the rotary phone if its "owner" stops paying the phone company for network service... unless there are uses for rotary phones that evade me. You can manually enter transactions into Q if you've ceased paying for connectivity. I'm not sure what you do with a rotary phone if you cease paying for network access. I suppose, it does make for conversation piece.

• edited January 2018
    I appreciate the thought but I don't use 3/4 of the options for the Quicken so the rotary analogy is on point.  They have added all these bells and whistles and all I want to do and all I do is download my finance transactions and balance my checkbook.  That is all I asked Money and Quicken for.  I don't do anything else.  But they want me to keep paying for these upgrades I don't need.  I used Money in 2006.  You know what I did?  Typed all my transactions into the register and balanced my checkbook.  I used Money 2010 (free upgrade) and did the exact same thing.  Downloaded Qucken 2015 and did the exact same thing.  They aren't asking me what I use...they just want to charge me for things I will never use.  

By the by, I pay a phone bill to connect to other phones.  That is a monthly expense.  I shouldn't have to pay to keep upgrading my phone every year when it still works.  So is itokay to have a monthly phone bill to you and have a yearly phone charge?
  • RickORickO SuperUser
    edited January 2018

I appreciate the thought but I don't use 3/4 of the options for the Quicken so the rotary analogy is on point.  They have added all these bells and whistles and all I want to do and all I do is download my finance transactions and balance my checkbook.  That is all I asked Money and Quicken for.  I don't do anything else.  But they want me to keep paying for these upgrades I don't need.  I used Money in 2006.  You know what I did?  Typed all my transactions into the register and balanced my checkbook.  I used Money 2010 (free upgrade) and did the exact same thing.  Downloaded Qucken 2015 and did the exact same thing.  They aren't asking me what I use...they just want to charge me for things I will never use.  

By the by, I pay a phone bill to connect to other phones.  That is a monthly expense.  I shouldn't have to pay to keep upgrading my phone every year when it still works.  So is itokay to have a monthly phone bill to you and have a yearly phone charge?

You would be paying Quicken the subscription fee to connect to your financial institutions. The software updates is just a nice freebie that they throw in.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser
    edited November 2018
    Not to take the rotary phone analogy too far, but back in great grandma's day (before 1970 or so), you HAD to rent the phone. If you had a second extension they charged you more, just like the cable company does today. I bet if you look on the bottom of that old phone, it says "Telephone Company Property" or something like that. 

I suppose you could argue that phone companies are more enlightened now, and that Quicken and a lot of the rest of the software industry are moving back to the dark ages. The problem is that even if Quicken didn't make any improvements, it costs money to maintain the connections to all those banks, brokerages, and the quote service, and the money has to come from somewhere. At least they are not charging extra for online support.

One would hope, though, that they would use some of our subscription money to put the same focus as the phone companies do on making those connections reliable.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • edited January 2018

Lucien, if all you do is manually enter your transactions you can keep using Q15 after it sunsets. For that matter you could go back to using Money -- it wasn't sold; MSFT discontinued it, but they still offer it to download and install for free.
  • edited January 2018

Not to mention, using Quicken only as an online checkbook is like swatting a fly with a telephone pole. Just use Mint.
  • edited January 2018

Thank you.  I will look into Mint and maybe just enter in my data manually.
  • edited December 2018
    You might think of it this way... your version of Quicken is FREE....  

What you are paying for is the data download services.  If you keep using that service past the 30 trial you get to keep a then current of Quicken version forever.

I doubt anyone would deny that it is an expensive operation keeping a network thousand of banks and millions of people connected. Someone has to pay for it.

We can subscribe to those services for a year for less than 13¢ day ($44.99/yr) today

Express Web Connect (Quicken Connect in Quicken for Mac)
    Direct Connect
    Web Connect

And remember.... It comes with a free Deluxe version of Quicken that you can keep forever! :-)