Any good suggestions to an alternative to Quicken 2018 that doesn't use subscription models?

I, like many, are just finding out that Quicken has switched entirely to a subscription model. I use the business version and liked the fact that I could buy a license and use it until I can't use it any more... which on average, is about 3-4 years. I can not afford 90 dollars a year. What are the best alternatives for me and likely 10's of thousands of others like me available today? I wish Quicken would hear us... It is a shame that they are getting greedy.
joe

Comments

• Mike BMike B Member
    edited January 2018
    Feel your pain. I was a long time MS Money user until that was discontinued a few years back. I'm guessing there is no money in personal finance software :(. I'm now using mint.com, but miss the register approach and bill scheduling that quicken entails. 
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    No one here is going to do your research for you. Try Google.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • Joseph HandJoseph Hand Member
    edited January 2018

No one here is going to do your research for you. Try Google.

Thanks Rocket. This was more of a statement than a question...
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

There's no future in Quicken if everybody wants software for free and nobody wants to pay for software upkeep, maintenance and improvements.
    That stuff costs money, you know? No money ... no Quicken Inc.

Look for one of the many percent-off offers available from Quicken.
    Shop around the Internet and buy from reputable retailers that offer the best price to subscription duration ratio. You'd be surprised what you can find.

• Gary FortmanGary Fortman Member
    edited January 2018
    If you don’t need downloads from your bank, investments, etc. your current Quicken will work in manual mode until your OS will not support it.
    edited January 2018
    Need the downloads. Quicken just announce the end of support for downloading in 2015 forcing my hand. Oh well.
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

There's no future in Quicken if everybody wants software for free and nobody wants to pay for software upkeep, maintenance and improvements.

Shop around the Internet and buy from reputable retailers that offer the best price to subscription duration ratio. You'd be surprised what you can find.

I’ve worked for software companies for the last 22 Years... I understand how it works. I’m not looking for free software .I’m looking to purchase software. The fact that after almost 20 years of using Quicken with perpetual licensing that Quicken made this decision to go with subscription only just means they are getting greedy I’m trying to capture more money per user. The last purchase was for the business edition and it was $70. That lasted me for three years. Now I’m going to have to pay 90 per year which is more than 3X what I’m paying now.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

Yes, imagine a business wanting to make a profit so they can pay their employees and continue product upkeep. Shocking.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

At the tune of almost 4x ? That. Is beyond wanting to pay employees. Again, having worked for software companies or that long, i’ve never gotten 300% raise. That is just pure greed. Clearly we don’t see eye to eye on this one... Thank you for your feedback!
  • Gary FortmanGary Fortman Member
    edited January 2018
    If you need the downloads you have to upgrade, $90/year or less is worth it to me. Quicken has been a subscription model for at least the last 10 years. Perhaps just switch to mint (for free) and then come back to Quicken when you realize you get what you pay for.
  • Paul H.Paul H. Member
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

Actually, is it their greed?  Or that of their stockholders?
  • edited January 2018
    UKR said:

I paid 90 bucks for two years, not one. Looks like it's a little steeper now.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

From C. D. Bales:

"I've worked for software companies for the last 22 Years... I understand how it works".

Your comments indicate that you do not understand how it works. " ... work[ing] for software companies ...." does not come close to making you capable of drawing the conclusions you have presented here. Conclusions which are essentially bogus.

Here are three major problems with your claims:

1.) Quicken must make enough money to not only pay to get and retain qualified employees; they must make enough money to pay for the cost of providing the services that come with Quicken (among which are downloads and support) about which you know nothing; and they must make enough money to satisfy their shareholders.

2.) You have absolutely no idea what it takes to make Quicken profitable. You have never seen Quicken's P&L Statement or their Balance Sheet (and your comments demonstrate you would not know what to make of them if you saw them).

3.) Your claim that the price of Q2018 is 4 times greater than earlier versions is patently false - it's a piece of information taken totally out of context. You have offered your personal experience and falsely pretended it applies to all Quicken users. The fact is that only the price for Quicken users who used to wait three years to upgrade has increased by the percentage you have experienced. At the other end of the scale, the price for Quicken users who used to upgrade every year has gone down. [And there are lower prices available from suppliers other than Quicken] If you had any intention other than to make false claims, you might have realized that users, like yourself, who were previously upgrading every three years were getting a financial free ride ... a free ride paid for by the users who upgraded every year. So now your free ride is over - time to get over it.

There's no need for mendacious appraisals of product/service providers just because you're personally unhappy with them.

If you can find better software for the money, you should certainly do that: that's the way to deal with products that cost more than you want to pay. Other providers might offer more bang for the buck - but this is not the place to seek them

In the future, I suggest you avoid uninformed, misleading or false statements when posting.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

Really? Wow! Again, thank you for your careful and thorough analysis of me. I guess I now know all I need to know and will gladly pay the new price. I feel so much better. 
  • KayoKayo Member
    edited January 2018
    UKR said:

@mshiggins ; - Thank you for reminding/informing the forum that however users feel Quicken.com needs to be profitable.  I was a software engineer for almost 30 years. When I get really mad at Quicken for the failures of Q 2018, Q 2017, Q.... etc.  I recall my own adventures with bugs as well as the joys of software that works. And I try to restrain myself from my most irate postings.

So, to users of this forum, I suggest if your comments are just to tell the world that you are looking for a replacement for Quicken, email Quicken.com.  If you are reporting a problem do that, but withhold the angry commentary.