Quicken 2018 - Cannot link existing checking account to Quicken Bill Pay

richard13richard13 Member ✭✭
I recently upgraded to Quicken 2018 from Quicken 2015 for Windows.  One of the major reasons for the upgrade was the free bill pay service and that I could use it from within the Quicken software itself.  I have been using the free bill pay through my bank, Ally, but that requires having to use their web site and manually enter things in Quicken.

Anyway, I have set up a Quicken Bill Pay account.  I have waited for the micro deposits.  I have verified them on the Quicken Bill Pay web site.  All is good there.

But back in Quicken:  Tools > Quicken Bill Pay > Setup Quicken Bill Pay Account...  When I click on this Quicken asks for my Quicken Bill Pay credentials and comes back with "We found the following" and it shows "Checking xxxxxx".  Yup, that's my account.  Then I click on the drop-down to link to an existing account but my checking account isn't listed!  There are several other non-checking accounts listed which cannot be used for Bill Pay there though (even ones from the same bank!)

If I go to Manage Accounts > Accounts List > click edit for my checking account and then Online Services tab > Online bill payment Pay bills without leaving Quicken > Set up now... there's a pop-up Activate Online Bill Pay.  So I click on "Activate Now".  There's a pop-up from Quicken saying "Quicken Bill Pay was not added to account Ally Interest Checking".  Why?

It's as if the entire Quicken Bill Pay setup process is designed to thwart me here.  Can anyone help?

Thank you!
Richard
Quicken 2019 Premier - Subscription - Windows 10 VM on a Mac ;)

Comments

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hi Richard,

Based on the description provided I suspect that Quicken thinks there's already an existing connection for Bill Pay on the Ally Interest Checking account and that's why the account isn't being presented in the list of accounts to link the Bill Pay to.

If you haven't already, I recommend running a Validate & Repair on your data file.  To do so, open the File menu in the upper left hand corner of Quicken > File Operations > Validate & Repair
    Checkmark the Validate File box only and then click "Ok."  When the process is completed, close and re-open the Quicken software and then try once more to add the Bill Pay account, linking to the Ally Interest Checking account.

If you are still unable to add and link the Bill Pay I recommend contacting Customer Support directly to go through some advanced troubleshooting steps.  The contact links may be found at the very bottom of the page at: https://www.quicken.com/support

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Ray CosnerRay Cosner Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I had the same problem.  I posted here several times, I tried three times to get phone help from Quicken Support but never connected with them (waited in queue nearly two hours on my second attempt), and I used the comments link on their online instructions to describe what failed and offered to provide more details if they would contact me.  Never heard from Quicken Inc in any way.  They have never acknowledged this issue as far as I know, and I have been checking this forum almost every day since I got QPW 2018 six weeks ago.

I rely on Q, so I'll stay with it, but their support system has zero credibility in my view.
  • richard13richard13 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi Richard,

Based on the description provided I suspect that Quicken thinks there's already an existing connection for Bill Pay on the Ally Interest Checking account and that's why the account isn't being presented in the list of accounts to link the Bill Pay to.

If you haven't already, I recommend running a Validate & Repair on your data file.  To do so, open the File menu in the upper left hand corner of Quicken > File Operations > Validate & Repair
    Checkmark the Validate File box only and then click "Ok."  When the process is completed, close and re-open the Quicken software and then try once more to add the Bill Pay account, linking to the Ally Interest Checking account.

If you are still unable to add and link the Bill Pay I recommend contacting Customer Support directly to go through some advanced troubleshooting steps.  The contact links may be found at the very bottom of the page at: https://www.quicken.com/support

Thank you,

Sarah

Hello Sarah.  Thanks for your response.  I agree that it seems like Quicken thinks (albeit partially, that my checking account is already set up).  I did try what you suggested but it didn't resolve my issue.  It did initially report a couple dozen errors in the file which I have corrected but still now love.  I guess I'll have to try Quicken Support.
    edited December 2017

I had the same problem.  I posted here several times, I tried three times to get phone help from Quicken Support but never connected with them (waited in queue nearly two hours on my second attempt), and I used the comments link on their online instructions to describe what failed and offered to provide more details if they would contact me.  Never heard from Quicken Inc in any way.  They have never acknowledged this issue as far as I know, and I have been checking this forum almost every day since I got QPW 2018 six weeks ago.

I rely on Q, so I'll stay with it, but their support system has zero credibility in my view.

Hello Ray.  It makes me feel a little better that other people are having this problem.  But really I'd rather that we all have something that works!  It's very frustrating to follow all the instructions and do the right things and still Quicken doesn't work as advertised.  Heck, even some error spew would be helpful.  Explain why it won't work properly.  I am going to try and contact support this week.  I hope I don't run into any roadblocks like you have.  And if I somehow figure this out either with Quicken support or on my own I will definitely share.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi Richard,

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the update.  One other suggestion I have is to create a new "test" file and add only the Ally Interest Checking account then try to link the Bill Pay account.   This will help to determine if the issue is being caused by the software or if there's something within your data file causing the headache. 

To create the new file go to the File tab > New Quicken File.  Name the test file and then sign in and register the file and add the account.  

If Bill Pay can be linked successfully in the test file then we'll know that this is a data file specific issue and the next best step is to contact Customer Support when you have the time.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Hi Richard,

Thank you,

Sarah

Richard, are you by chance using a currency other than US dollars?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited December 2017

Hi Richard,

Thank you,

Sarah

Hello mshiggins.  No, I am using US dollars.

Hello Sarah.  Ok, I'll try that.  One thing occurs to me though.  When I first upgraded to Quicken 2018 it wanted me to upgrade/change the bill reminders I already had (I was not using Quicken Bill Pay and these were just to help me remember my bills).  This was an laborious process of one by one adding login information to each reminder/bill.  In fact, I remember when I did this I thought this was how Quicken Bill Pay was set up.  I was quite disappointed to find out it didn't.  I wonder if these newly "upgraded" reminders/bills have something to do with it.
    edited December 2017

Hi Richard,

Thank you,

Sarah

Hello Sarah.  Finally had a few minutes to try this experiment with a new file.  And sure enough, in the new file I can link my checking account to Bill Pay.  Not surprising that it would work because in the new file, when I look at the Account List... under "Online Bill Pay" it said "No (Activate Bill Pay)".  In the old file there's just a line there... as if the account is ineligible for Bill Pay at all.  I guess I'll have to try Quicken Support.  I would be ok with setting up a new file and all but I just don't want to lose all that historical data.
    edited October 2018
    So I called Quicken Technical Support and they ran me through the setup steps again but to no avail.  Further attempts to fix the file were also unsuccessful (the log showed no errors but my checking account still couldn't be linked).  I was told there was likely some corruption in the file and that my only option at this point was to start with a new file.  Probably just as well but it's going to be a real pain trying to get my old data over.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    richard13 said:

So I called Quicken Technical Support and they ran me through the setup steps again but to no avail.  Further attempts to fix the file were also unsuccessful (the log showed no errors but my checking account still couldn't be linked).  I was told there was likely some corruption in the file and that my only option at this point was to start with a new file.  Probably just as well but it's going to be a real pain trying to get my old data over.

From C. D. Bales:

" I was told there was likely some corruption in the file and that my only option at this point was to start with a new file".

A new account may not be necessary. I don't have Q2018 and I don't use Quicken Bill Pay, so I can't test this. If it does not work, you can always fall back on creating a New Quicken File.

A general description of the process is:
    1.) Backup
    2.) Create a new checking account in your existing file - to ultimately replace the old checking account
    3.) Move the transactions from the old checking account to the new checking account.
    4.) Set the new account up for Quicken Bill Pay.

A few things to be aware of:
    a.) When you Move transactions in Quicken, you will be required to individually authorize the move of each Reconciled transaction. The following process intends to avoid that.
    b.) When activating an account for downloading, you may get downloaded transactions you do not want. The following process contains a simple way to delete all those unwanted transactions at one time.
    c.) Some users have reported problems with transfers when trying to Move transactions - I have not had that problem.

Begin process.
    - Backup
    - Deactivate the existing checking account for downloading.

- Create a new - temporary - checking account.
    - Select all the unreconciled transactions in the old checking account (as you would select multiple files in Windows Explorer).
    - Right-click one of the selected transactions and choose "Move transaction(s)"
    - Select the newly created temporary checking account in the resulting drop down.

At this point, only reconciled transactions should remain in the old account and all the unreconciled transactions should be in the temporary checking account.

- Create a new checking account (to replace the one you can't setup for Quicken Bill Pay) - do not assign the financial institution, so this new account will begin life using Manual Entry and no bill pay.
    - Select all the remaining transactions in the old account (as you would select multiple files in Windows Explorer).
    - Right-click a selected transaction.
    - Place your cursor on "Reconcile" and select "Cleared".
    - If all transactions are not still selected, re-select them all.
    - Right-click a selected transaction and choose "Move transaction(s)".
    - Choose the new checking account in the resulting drop down.

At this point, the old checking account should be empty, the new checking account should contain all the previously reconciled transactions and the temporary checking account should contain all the previously unreconciled transactions.

- Select all the transactions in the new account (as you would select multiple files in Windows Explorer).
    - Right-click a selected transaction.
    - Place your cursor on "Reconcile" and select "Reconciled".
    - Select all the transactions in the temporary checking account (as you would select multiple files in Windows Explorer).
    - Right-click a selected transaction and choose "Move transaction(s)".
    - Choose the new checking account in the resulting drop down.

At this point, all the old account transactions should be in the new account ... with the correct "Cleared Status".

- Activate the new account for downloading. If there are any truly new transactions downloaded, Accept them.
    - If there are still more downloaded transactions waiting to be processed (which you do not need, since they should be duplicates of what you moved from the old account):
    --- Make sure none of the remaining unprocessed downloaded transactions have a Status of "Match". If you see any matches, select one, click its Edit button, and select "Make all new".
    --- Click the Account Actions gear-wheel icon, put your cursor on "Sorting Options" and select "Order Entered"
    --- Manually enter a dummy transaction - put something in the Memo field to help you easily find the transaction.
    --- "Accept All" the remaining downloaded transactions.
    --- Locate the dummy transaction you entered.
    --- Select all the transactions from the dummy transaction through the last transaction in the register.
    --- Right-click a selected transaction and click "Delete".

At this point, the account should be ready to setup for downloading/bill pay.

- Activate the new account for downloading.
    - Activate the new account for Quicken Bill Pay.

If all is well, you can delete the temporary checking account.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited October 2018
    Thank you mshiggins for this suggestion!  I read over the instructions twice to make sure I understood them and this did sound very promising.

However, I ran into a couple problems.  First, I cannot Deactivate the existing checking account.  Quicken starts the process but ultimately fails saying something like the bank needs to turn this off (which is total nonsense).  But ok, I'll just not download anything until the process is complete.

I moved all the unreconciled transactions to the temp account.  There are only a few but it works.  Good.

Unfortunately, the next problem seems to have stopped me in my tracks.  When I try to move all the remaining (now cleared transactions formerly reconciled) to the new checking account Quicken fails completely.  It moves one transaction and stops (I have over a 1000 transactions in this account).  When I try to move them piecemeal things go further sideways with me being prompted several times if I want to "delete the cleared (R) transaction".  Ultimately, only some transactions move while most are left behind.  This happens no matter how few I select.

I think it's fair to say something is very wrong here when it comes to this account.  Either that or there are some major bugs in Quicken.  I'm so disappointed because I thought this would work.  Logically it should.  Looking on the bright spot here, maybe this thread will help some other person.
  • edited December 2017
    richard13 said:

Thank you mshiggins for this suggestion!  I read over the instructions twice to make sure I understood them and this did sound very promising.

However, I ran into a couple problems.  First, I cannot Deactivate the existing checking account.  Quicken starts the process but ultimately fails saying something like the bank needs to turn this off (which is total nonsense).  But ok, I'll just not download anything until the process is complete.

I moved all the unreconciled transactions to the temp account.  There are only a few but it works.  Good.

Unfortunately, the next problem seems to have stopped me in my tracks.  When I try to move all the remaining (now cleared transactions formerly reconciled) to the new checking account Quicken fails completely.  It moves one transaction and stops (I have over a 1000 transactions in this account).  When I try to move them piecemeal things go further sideways with me being prompted several times if I want to "delete the cleared (R) transaction".  Ultimately, only some transactions move while most are left behind.  This happens no matter how few I select.

I think it's fair to say something is very wrong here when it comes to this account.  Either that or there are some major bugs in Quicken.  I'm so disappointed because I thought this would work.  Logically it should.  Looking on the bright spot here, maybe this thread will help some other person.

The warning that the bank needs to turn this off is a very nebulous warning from Quicken.

It really has nothing to do with deactivating an account from downloads.  What it really means is that if you want to stop downloading transactions altogether from your bank you need to contact them.  It has zero to do with deactivating your downloads from Quicken.
    edited October 2018
    Well... I decided to try this again.  I started over from the top but when Quicken didn't move all the cleared transactions to the new account I kept on trying.  Slowly but surely, between 1 and 20 transactions moved each time.  Each time being hassled to answer if I wanted to delete things or warning me about why the transaction couldn't be moved.  In the end I got everything moved from the old to the new account.  Also moved the transactions from the temp account to the new account.  I checked the balances to ensure I didn't mess things up.  Deleted the old account and the temp account.  Set up new account for downloading transactions.  Everything is good so far.  Crossing fingers.

When I went to go sign up for Quicken Bill Pay within Quicken 2018 I got an OL-294-A error message.  Ugh!  I called up Quicken Bill Pay which for some reason they actually answered the phone on a Saturday.  The woman I spoke to said there was a known, existing issue that was being looked at.  So I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow or whenever to see if my problem is truly fixed.  At least I'm a little more hopeful at this point... stay tuned!
    edited December 2017
    richard13 said:

Ah... good to know B Hawks!
  • Steve ColemanSteve Coleman Member
    edited December 2017
    richard13 said:

Well... I decided to try this again.  I started over from the top but when Quicken didn't move all the cleared transactions to the new account I kept on trying.  Slowly but surely, between 1 and 20 transactions moved each time.  Each time being hassled to answer if I wanted to delete things or warning me about why the transaction couldn't be moved.  In the end I got everything moved from the old to the new account.  Also moved the transactions from the temp account to the new account.  I checked the balances to ensure I didn't mess things up.  Deleted the old account and the temp account.  Set up new account for downloading transactions.  Everything is good so far.  Crossing fingers.

When I went to go sign up for Quicken Bill Pay within Quicken 2018 I got an OL-294-A error message.  Ugh!  I called up Quicken Bill Pay which for some reason they actually answered the phone on a Saturday.  The woman I spoke to said there was a known, existing issue that was being looked at.  So I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow or whenever to see if my problem is truly fixed.  At least I'm a little more hopeful at this point... stay tuned!

You're down the same path I was going. I learned that whatever time savings I may have had using QBP was gone during the setup process. I just finished unwinding my QBP setup after a couple of months of use and I'm chalking it up to a failed experiment. QBP made bill paying harder, not easier (and cost me a $5 fee). I'm a pretty disappointed Quicken 2018 Premier user.

Good luck to you and I hope you get it working to your satisfaction.
    edited January 2018
    richard13 said:

You are so right Steve.  I was thinking about this yesterday when I was still wrestling with this for hours.  Any potential time savings was burned up days ago.  But like a bad movie I feel like I need to see it to the end.  Quicken has always been a product riddled with obvious bugs and I think this is by far the worst.  It's amazing to me that things just fail with non descriptive messages like "an error has occurred".  Leaving me to try and figure out what happened.

I somehow managed to finally get one bill paid this morning but won't know for several days if it actually goes, is received and credited.  I figured out that there was some old info about the biller (wrong address, wrong account number) but no obvious way to fix.  Whenever I did this in Quicken it would tell me "You already have a biller with this name".  I know that, I'm trying to update it.  Deleting it in several places just brought it back.  Finally, I log into the Quicken Bill Pay site and see I can update there.  Why is this the place where this gets done?

If I wasn't so experienced in Quicken and in software in general there's no way I would have gotten as far as I have.  Really disappointed with Quicken 2018 and their Bill Pay service so far!
  • Mike in NJMike in NJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Hi Richard,

Thank you,

Sarah

Called QBP support since Quicken 2018 would not help.  Long wait.  Got a creep in Manila who was useless and barely understandable. Asked for Supervisor and was put on wait and tortured for 20 minutes. Was then told no Supervisor and was given a number and was told I would be called back.  NO ONE EVER CALLED. I am a 30+ year heavy computer user and CPA and financial advisor and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM with Quickden that wasn't fixed quickly. QUICKEN 2018 AND QUICKEN BILL PAY SUPPORT IS NON-EXISTENT AND AWFUL. DO NOT UPGRADE TO 2018 UNTIL UYOU HAVE TO AND THEN YOU WILL REGRET.  If anyone finds out to link everything to work, please, please contact me.  $$$.,