RSU Support

Tom Young
Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in Investing (Windows)
What, exactly, do you wish to see?

An RSU is just another versions of a non-qualified stock option, typically requiring no out of pocket cost on your part and gets "exercised" when it vests.  The only thing Quicken doesn't allow here is a $0 exercise price but $.000001 is allowed and probably won't affect anything, really.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken Please Update Quicken Product to Handle Restricted Stock Units....Please ....

Comments

• wspotmeyer
    wspotmeyer Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Tom, the problem is that RSUs are considered income at the time of vesting.  If I exercise an option there are no tax consequences if I purchase the stock; with an RSU grant, the vesting shares are considered income from the company and I have to pay income taxes on them at the time of vest.

In my case, this year I got dozens of shares that I can only track by using an "Add Shares" transaction. Unfortunately, "Add Shares" does not allow me to categorize the transaction as income for tax planning purposes. The tax planner does not know to include that income in my tax forecast for the year and it's throwing all the numbers off.

A simple thing to do in the short term would be to add a Category field to the "Add Shares" transaction. I can then manually add MiscExp items for the various taxes I have to pay.

A better long-term solution would be to have a wizard much like the stock option wizard that would include future vesting transactions and tax items.

And, of course, could you please make it available on Mac as well? ;-)

Hope that helps.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    In my experience, RSUs produce taxable income when they are exercised (sold).  Vesting (so that they are eligible to be sold by you) is not a taxable event.  

You can enter option grants in an investment account, the transaction type in the drop-down list is "Grant Employee Stock Option".  This will lead you to identify the schedule for vesting of that grant of options, and also the expiration date.  When you exercise (liquidate) options, the transaction type is "Exercise Employee Stock Option".  I suggest setting up a separate investment account to hold your options.  In this account, go to "Account Details" then the "Tax Schedule" button and select that transfers out of that account are taxable income (in my case, ordinary salaried income).

Please consult the issuer of your RSUs or your professional financial advisor, to ensure that my experience also applies in your situation.
This discussion has been closed.