investment transations process very slow

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
My investment transactions can take over 60 seconds to process. Is there a way to speed this up. My files has transactions going back to 1991.
I am using Quicken for window 2017.  I continue to upgrade by the transactions continue to take very lone.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What do you mean by "process"? Is the delay when you select the register? When you perform some calculation? Please provide more detail.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Same problem here.  Hit accept or enter for new transaction and it easily takes 20 seconds for the program to come back.  I also have transactions back to the 90s.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I enter the transaction and then hit enter. It take about 60 seconds for the transaction to fully process and go back to the register so I can enter another transaction.
    It all has to do with the file size, as when I do it for another account that has very few historical transactions, I hit enter and it is finished very quickly.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

I enter the transaction and then hit enter. It take about 60 seconds for the transaction to fully process and go back to the register so I can enter another transaction.
    It all has to do with the file size, as when I do it for another account that has very few historical transactions, I hit enter and it is finished very quickly.

That is not "file size" meaning Windows file size.  That is number of transactions in a Quicken account.  At least, that is my experience.  There may also be tie ins to number of securities and number of lots held in the account.  

Way back in 2010 I was facing the same problem with one account that had some 12,000 transactions in it.  That account was slow to respond; other smaller accounts were instantaneous within the same Quicken file.  

My approach which I found to be successful (for me) was to create a new investment account, and then use the Shares Transferred between Accounts function to move all assets from the old account to the new account.  That can be one-time time consuming to watch the process, but afterwards the new account was as quick for entries as any other account in the file.  Cash needs to be transferred separately.  The action will not work for short positions which (I believe) need to be covered in the old account and re-created in the new account.  I don't know how options and similar might be handled.

After taking that step, you will need to include both accounts in applicable performance reports and measures to get meaningful values across the transfer date.  I did not find that to be a problem.  
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

Correct q.l. It's the number of transactions in the account not the windows file size.

And thanks for the info regarding your work around.  I'm still not happy w/ Quicken as it relates to this issue because in the days of databases and high powered processors, cheap RAM, and 64 bit processing there is no reason (other than Quicken just not wanting to address this) that it cannot be rectified.
This discussion has been closed.