Price History Problem

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken Premier 2018. One of my retirement accounts was providing some strange return numbers. It seems that the price history for one security is not complete. I tried to add a new price for that date (3/31/2012), but it won't show up. I've shut Quicken, shut down and restarted. Still not letting me enter a price for that date. On Morningstar, the quotes go back to 5/1/1992. When I list the holdings there's no price. I tried typing in the blank box, but the price disappears. Here's a shot of the holdings. 
I'm not sure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Back up your data file just in case.

Click on the name of the problem security. That will display the Security Detail view. Make sure the Symbol (Ticker) for the security is correct. Quicken can only automatically update prices for securities that are publicly traded (not, for example variable annuities like the CREF Equity Fund). If you need to change the ticker, check back here for further advice.

At the top of the Security Detail view, click on Update, the Edit price history and you will see what your Quicken file has for your security. You can manually add, edit, and delete prices in that window.

If you are missing historical prices and you have a valid ticker, you can download the prices here. Note that the date interval will be weekly or monthly for prices more than a few months ago.

To make sure a security is included in the price updates when you do a One Step Update, go to Tools/Security List or hit Ctrl-Y and make sure Download Quotes is checked for the security. For quotes to be downloaded, you must also hold some shares or have the Watch list box checked.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I agree with Jim that trying to edit the 3/31/12 price through the Price-history screen is your next step.  

If that does not work, I would then try the following (Plan B):
    • From the same Security Detail View, Edit the security Details
    • Change the ticker in any fashion, like add a '1' to the end.
    • Choose the options to Copy the prices from the old ticker to the new
    • Choose the option to delete the prices from the old ticker
    • OK (or whatever to accept that change)
    • Exit Quicken and restart it (may not be necessary)
    • Check the 3/31/12 price in same fashion
    • See if you can edit the 3/31/12 price
    • Repeat the process changing the ticker back to the original correct ticker with same options - Copy and Delete
    Post back on your progress.  If needed, we can explore Plan C.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Thank you that worked!  Until today. One of my security's price history totally disappeared. I was looking at  historical view and things looked odd. Digging in a bit, I found that the entire price history before 2018 for CREF Money Market (Ticker: QCMMIX) has disappeared. image
    In the screenshot above it's there. I don't show the date in that one, but it's around 2014 or so. When I try to enter a new price for the 3/31/2014, nothing happens. I've tried downloading the quotes again, but no luck. Please help! This is messing up all the old balances. Thanks
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Thank you that worked!  Until today. One of my security's price history totally disappeared. I was looking at  historical view and things looked odd. Digging in a bit, I found that the entire price history before 2018 for CREF Money Market (Ticker: QCMMIX) has disappeared. image
    In the screenshot above it's there. I don't show the date in that one, but it's around 2014 or so. When I try to enter a new price for the 3/31/2014, nothing happens. I've tried downloading the quotes again, but no luck. Please help! This is messing up all the old balances. Thanks

@Catherine:  I am a little confused.  First "It worked".  What worked? 

Then did the same type of problem appear for a different security?  The first is OK now, but a different one is a problem.  

How are you trying to enter prices?  Please be as specific as possible.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

I went to edit price history and filled in the table with the corrections for several different securities according to Jim Harman's instructions above.
    At the top of the Security Detail view, click on Update, the Edit price history and you will see what your Quicken file has for your security. You can manually add, edit, and delete prices in that window.
    All of the prices were consistent with my statements, except for CREF Money Market R3. One day the prices were all there in the Price History for CREF Money Market R3, the next time I checked all of the prices were gone except for the screen shot above. 

I went to Edit Price History and selected New. I entered the date and the price for the date. Then I pressed OK. No errors, no nothing and no price in the price history window. Now for all of the quarterly reports on dates that I held that security, it has the shares, but the value is zero.

Here's a screen shot of the holdings from an earlier date:
    All other securities have correct prices. If they don't I can enter a new price or correct a price.  It seems to be a problem with this security only. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    For some reason money market funds will often download a price of zero. Since MMFs should always be 1.00, the best way to deal with this is to enter a price of 1.00 then go to the security list and un-check Download quotes
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

For some reason money market funds will often download a price of zero. Since MMFs should always be 1.00, the best way to deal with this is to enter a price of 1.00 then go to the security list and un-check Download quotes

This MM seems to be different in that the price does vary and is not $1.  Bloomberg reports for QCMMIX a 52-week range from 25.5723 to 25.7126.  Adding that ticker/security to my test file, I get prices going back to 4/30/15 but no farther.  

But nothing prevents me from adding a price back in 2014, nor I suspect any other date.  

@Catherine:  I suggest you try with the QCMMIX security the ticker-changing sequence I suggested above.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

@Catherine:  I suggest you also pull up your security list (Crtl-Y) sort the listing by Symbol (click the "symbol" header) and make sure you do not have two securities with the QQMMIX ticker symbol.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

I hadn't looked in the Security List before. The box to download quotes was not checked. I checked it, changed the ticker name to something else, and changed it back and downloaded historical quotes. They went back to 2015. 

Success! I was able to add 12/31/2012 price to the table. 

Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.