where do I find the ability to "Customize my investment transaction list:?

MichaelG
MichaelG Member ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Investing (Windows)
According to help, It's supposed to be there in Premier 2018, but I can't find it. 

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The Investment Transaction list is a Quicken report and like any other Quicken report can be customized in the usual fashion.  Click the little gear wheel and customize away.  Select/deselect Accounts, Categories, Securities, Actions, etc.
  • MichaelG
    MichaelG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for your reply. I interpreted Help to refer to a view, not a report,  of the investment register -- which would be helpful and is needed. Similar to the ability that's there in views of the banking 
    registers would be nice.
  • Tom Young
    edited February 2018
    MichaelG said:

Thanks for your reply. I interpreted Help to refer to a view, not a report,  of the investment register -- which would be helpful and is needed. Similar to the ability that's there in views of the banking 
    registers would be nice.

I'm just another user like you and have no control or influence over Quicken.  I can only tell you about features of Quicken that are in the product.

I'm not sure what you mean by "views" of the banking registers.  There's an "Account overview" - which is very, very elementary - and you can make some changes to how the registers present themselves - one line, two lines, sort order, what columns get shown - but anything beyond that is a "report".
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tom Young said:

The Investment Transaction list is a Quicken report and like any other Quicken report can be customized in the usual fashion.  Click the little gear wheel and customize away.  Select/deselect Accounts, Categories, Securities, Actions, etc.

From C. D. Bales:

@Tom Young

A Quicken "Transaction List" is the investment account equivalent of a Quicken non-investment account "register".

Quicken "Transaction Lists" have always had fewer customization capabilities than Quicken non-investment account registers - though those capabilities have been significantly increased over time.

I do not have Q2018, so I cannot address any specifics about how Q2018 would differ from earlier versions in its ability to customize investment account transaction lists.

But from what I've read, the original poster may be expecting more than is available.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    edited February 2018
    Tom Young said:

Ah, the Investment Transactions list as opposed to the Investment Transaction report! 

I've always known, somewhere in the back of my mind, that the use of the word "register" really did apply to the list of transaction you see when you open an investment Account but had forgotten what term Quicken used, and never bothered to look it up.  Pretty much called everything a "register."

So, for @MichaelG, here's the help files guide to customizing the Transaction List:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

You can customize many aspects of the Quicken investment
    transaction lists to suit your own way of working.

Any changes made in the Investment Transaction List Preferences
    window will apply to all of your investment accounts. These settings change only
    the way your data is displayed (not the actual data).

• image  Change the name that
      appears at the top of the transaction list

This is the account name. You can change it by
      editing the account.

• image  Show transactions on
      one or two lines
      1. Open the investment transaction
        list preferences
        window.
      2. In the right pane, use the List display drop-down to
        select whether to display your investment transaction lists in one- or two-line
        mode.
      3. Click OK to save your changes.
      Notes

By default, investment transactions are shown on one line. Switch to two-line
      display mode if you want to view more information for each individual
      transaction.

• One-Line Display shows twice as many transactions on the screen.
      • Two-Line Display allocates two lines for each transaction, and the Memo
        fields are visible.
    • image  Change the sort order
      of transactions in the transaction list
        list preferences
        window.
      2. In the right pane, use the Sort choice drop-down list
        to display your investment transactions by date in ascending or descending
        order.
      Notes

Alternatively, you can click the Clr, Date, Action, and Security column
      headings to sort on those columns within a transaction list.

• image  Adjust the width of the
      transaction list columns

Position your pointer on the dividing line to
      the right of the column heading you want to adjust. When the pointer changes
      from an arrow to a resize icon (horizontal arrows pointing left and right),
      click and drag to increase or decrease the column width.

• image  Show any hidden
      transactions
        list preferences
        window.
      2. In the right pane, select Show hidden transactions.
      Notes

Select this option to view balance adjustments and previously resolved
      placeholder transactions for your accounts. This gives you greater control of
      your balance should you need to remove these transactions to correct historical
      errors. In addition, you can see how your account calculates the balances for
      your securities and for cash.

• image  Show the Attach
      button

The Attach button appears next to the Enter, Edit,
      and Delete buttons at the bottom right of the current transaction. It provides a
      way for you to attach an electronic
      to a transaction.

• image  Automatically update
      quotes every 15 minutes

Quicken will automatically retrieve quotes for your securities every 15
      minutes. This feature is available in Quicken Premier, Home & Business, and
      Rental Property only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
  • MichaelG
    MichaelG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tom Young said:

In the "register" -- not the report -- I am unable to adjust the width of many of the columns: the paperclip (and I have attach disabled), the CLR, and the DESCRIPTION coluimns do not resize when I click and drag. They just return to their original (too large) width. What would be really nice would be the option to not display columns. 
  • Tom Young
    edited February 2018
    Tom Young said:

I realized a left out a "not" in my reply.

"...the use of the word "register" really did not apply to the list of transaction you see when you open an investment Account ..."

So in the interest of clear communications we both should use the Quicken-speak of "transaction list" when speaking about investment Accounts.

As far as your details about the inability to adjust column widths I see that too.  One thing you might try is playing around with the "display" elements of qw.exe under the compatibility tab to see if that affects things.  In a different conversation earlier about moving some element of the Quicken registers/transaction lists it was determined that some part of the register/transaction list that was immobile could be made mobile.
This discussion has been closed.