Investment account values OK in Portfolio View, but wrong in Accounts Summary View

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have three Schwab accounts. Portfolio screen amounts for each account is correct, but the accounts tab on left indicating all investment, banking accts. show 3 different amounts to the three schwab account onthe same screen. Why should there any discrepancy???

I don't download my transactions from Schwab but manually enter them individually to maintain tight control on any possible download errors...as such, "no placeholders" explanation is not a plausible reason for this problem.  I do update the daily share prices with update button from Quicken.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Is the difference the amount of cash in the accounts? Do you have them set up to show the cash in a checking account?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Or do you have the Account Bar set up to display Ending Balances instead of Current Balances?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

Is the difference the amount of cash in the accounts? Do you have them set up to show the cash in a checking account?

No.  Cash and investment amounts are both calculated in the portfolio view and in the accounts accumulative view.  Each investment account is off by a few dollars to a thousand dollars.  The accounts' values (on the left margin of page) should reflect exactly the values on the portfolio view when the accounts are segregated.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Hi, thanks for your reply.  The bottom of the account bar was changed from "ending balance" to "net worth".  The incorrect amounts are still the same with the change.  In the accounts "options" menu I am able to uncheck "ending balance" and check "current balance" towards the bottom of menu, however, towards the top of the menu I am only given a choice between "ending balance on accounts bar" or "net worth" on accounts bar.  Naturally, I chose "net worth" so the bottom of the account bars says "net worth" and not "current balance".  

How can I make the proper changes to have the various accounts on my accounts bar reflect the identical amounts on the portfolio view.  Thx. in advance for your reply and help.
  • Tom Young
    edited January 2018
    I'm not exactly following along here with what you are describing.  Are you using a Windows or Mac version of Quicken?  I suppose the answers could be different depending on the version.  I've attached a picture of the menu of options for the Account Bar in a Windows version.  Do you see the same menu?

If the Account Bar is now set to show current balances then the Portfolio view balances should now agree to the Account Bar balances, unless you've set the "As of" date to a different date than "today."

I guess I overlooked, in your original post, that you're also stating that "banking accts." are also showing this disparity?  That seems odd as I wouldn't expect a bank Account to be showing up in the Portfolio Screen in the first place.

At this point the only thing I can think of is "hidden" securities, but that mistake usually goes in the other direction with the Portfolio view being wrong vs. the correct Account Bar balances.  But you're saying the Portfolio view is correct and Account Bar balances are wrong.

I'm left with a guess of "data corruption."  Have you tried validating the file.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi Tom,  Thanks for all your advice.  I am using Quicken 2016 for PC.  I don't exactly know how to get an screen image to this forum with Clipboard Plus.  Anyhow, the menu that I am given is similar to yours but different in many ways...can you 1) show me how you got to your menu option selection (as I may be ascertaining the menu from another way and 2) can you quickly describe how I can get a screen shot on this forum so that I can allow to see what I am seeing.

In short, I am allowed to show either the "net worth" or "ending balance" in the Account Bar and as such, the net worth is reflected below, but it is the same amount as if I chose "ending balance".  Further below there is another option for either "current" or "ending" balance which I opted for "current".  This option does not change the accounts bar whatsoever.

My cash accounts that are included in the accounts bar is correct, just the investment accounts are distinctly incorrect from my portfolio view, which is correct.  Thanks in advance.

Sorry, all the Quicken replies have gone to my spam folder, despite my indicating that Q mail is "not spam". grrrr...
  • Tom Young
    edited January 2018
    Quicken for Windows 2016 might have a somewhat different menu for adjusting the Account Bar than the 2018 version I'm using, but I never either 2016 or 2017 so I don't really know.  But I somehow don't think it would be dramatically different.

In the main I use Microsoft's "Snipping Tool" to capture portions of a screen but that doesn't work here so I took a slightly longer route.  I clicked on the gearwheel that sits above the Account Bar which dropped down the menu I posted.  I then tapped the "Prt Sc" button that lives on the keyboard.  That puts an image of the whole screen on the clipboard  I then opened Microsoft Paint and clicked "paste."    That puts the image of my screen on the Paint window.  I then used Microsoft's Snipping Tool to grab just the Account Bar menu I was interested in, saved it and then pasted back into here.

"In short, I am allowed to show either the "net worth" or "ending
    balance" in the Account Bar and as such, the net worth is reflected
    below, but it is the same amount as if I chose "ending balance". "

That could be the case if you've posted no transactions into Quicken later than "today."  If you do have future transactions posted then the Account Bar totals should be different between Net Worth and Ending Balance.  That also might suggest data corruption.

"just the investment accounts are distinctly incorrect from my portfolio view, which is correct."

I assume the Holdings in each Investment Account agree to Portfolio View.  And, you are using "today's" date when you bring up Portfolio View, right?

If you're confident there's no "user error" element in play here then file validation might fix thing, and can't hurt.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi Tom, I've tried file validation a few times t no avail.  My portfolio view is correct and reflects the current portfolio values that is in my Schwab accounts, but does not reflect any interest or dividends accrued or to be accrued to me during the month.  As such, the real time Schwab amounts should always be higher than my portfolio values until I reconcile them when I receive the monthly statement. The amounts in the accounts bar do not correspond to the real-time portfolio values in the schwab acct either.  

The amounts in the accounts bar is always higher than the actual amount I have in the portfolio view.  Moreover, the 3 accounts have differing discrepancies every day and as such, the total discrepancy amount as differs from day to day.  One day the total discrepancy amount would be $989 and the next would be $1076 or $838...

Anyhow, I was able to pull up the screenshot of the account bar option menu as per your well described instructional steps.  Here it is...see that it is different from your screenshot and does not have an option to show "current balance" in account bar.  BTW, what does "ending" balance refer to?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I think at this point I would suggest a focus on the portfolio views you are using.  In particular, you can customize your chosen view to the three accounts, then make sure you have All securities included and have included hidden securities.  Does that change anything

Do any of the security market values happen to correspond to the value discrepancy you see?

Tom also asked about the "Holdings".  The Holdings view is a more focused view like a portfolio view but with fewer customization options.  It as accessible from the account transactions list.  Which account value does that view agree with?

Let's confirm those points before moving elsewhere - 

Ending Balance considers transactions entered for future dates whereas Current Balance (Net Worth) cuts of as of "Today" based on your computers current date.  Future prices of securities other than as reflected in transactions are not considered.  That your account bar shows the same values for either selection would suggest you do not have any transactions dated in the future.  

Your portfolio views and holdings views are also subject to the "As of" date selectable with the view.  That could be an area of confusion but would not seem to be in this case.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Thx. for your response, Steve.  The problem is that when I check "current" balance (towards the bottom of the options list).  But towards the top of the list the options only reflects "ending" balance or "net worth".  Either option reflects the same incorrect figures. 

In summary, the options on top of the menu asks me to choose between "show net worth in accounts bar" or "show ending balance in accounts bar".  It's the same amount and incorrect.  Where can I choose to "show current balance in accounts bar"? If you look up towards the middle of this thread, Tom shows a screenshot of his menu options and it affords him the option to have either "current" or "ending" balance in his accounts bar.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Hi Tom, I've tried file validation a few times t no avail.  My portfolio view is correct and reflects the current portfolio values that is in my Schwab accounts, but does not reflect any interest or dividends accrued or to be accrued to me during the month.  As such, the real time Schwab amounts should always be higher than my portfolio values until I reconcile them when I receive the monthly statement. The amounts in the accounts bar do not correspond to the real-time portfolio values in the schwab acct either.  

The amounts in the accounts bar is always higher than the actual amount I have in the portfolio view.  Moreover, the 3 accounts have differing discrepancies every day and as such, the total discrepancy amount as differs from day to day.  One day the total discrepancy amount would be $989 and the next would be $1076 or $838...

Anyhow, I was able to pull up the screenshot of the account bar option menu as per your well described instructional steps.  Here it is...see that it is different from your screenshot and does not have an option to show "current balance" in account bar.  BTW, what does "ending" balance refer to?

From C. D. Bales:

@Dennis Lee

You wrote: "Anyhow, I was able to pull up the
    screenshot of the account bar option menu ....".

The screenshot you posted is NOT an image of the Quicken
    for Windows "account bar option menu": it is a display of the Quicken
    Account List "Options".

It's simple to get the Account Bar options menu, you just
    right-click in the Account Bar.

The "Account Bar" can be hidden, but it is
    typically displayed in a column on the left, or right, side of your Quicken
    window (controlled by the Quicken Navigation Preferences or the View menu).

My Q2016 RPM Account Bar (with all the account groups closed, so no specific account names are displayed) looks like this.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Thx for the reply.  I see your point.  However, in the menu options I have always had it at "show current balance in account bar" and yet, the bottom of the accounts bar reflects "net worth".  

The crux of my problem is that the individual Schwab account balances in the portfolio view is not the same as the individual Schwab account balances in the accounts bar to the left of my screen.  It is always off.  I have checked all hidden accounts and any individual stock errors.  Still, the discrepancies exists...and the discrepancies will change day to day.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

Dennis, your screen shot does have Current Balance and Ending Balance on it.  You have Current Balance checked.  Try checking Ending Balance.

Steve, whether I check current balance or ending balance, the amounts don't change...same incorrect amount.  I don't understand why the individual investment accounts in the portfolio list on the right can't be transferred to the accounts bar in the same view on the left without changing the amounts.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @Dennis Lee:  Back to the beginning:
    Portfolio screen amounts for each account is correct, but the accounts tab on left indicating all investment, banking accts. show 3 different amounts to the three schwab account onthe same screen. 
    I understand that the portfolio screen values are the values you want - presumably matching the Schwab reported data.  But that does not make those values complete with respect to information Quicken has.  The portfolio view values can be customized to exclude particular securities, for example. 

I believe you need to check and adjust your customization options for the portfolio view you are using to have it include all securities including hidden securities.  That should be the data that flows to the Account bar values - all securities including hidden.  

If you confirm the same behavior after that adjustment or check, then perhaps we can pursue some other directions - like a portfolio value report - to better identify the source of the discrepancy.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

From C. D. Bales:

@Denis Lee

You say, "I see your point. However, in the menu options I have always had it at 'show current balance in account bar' and yet, the bottom of the accounts bar reflects 'net worth'".

I don't think you do see the point: You're mixing apples ("current" and "ending" balances) and oranges (the Net Worth total at the foot of the Account Bar).

Early in this discussion you said:

" ... the accounts tab on left indicating all investment, banking accts. show 3 different amounts to the three schwab account onthe same screen".

As noted in this discussion, this typically has to do with the selection of "current" or "ending" balances to be displayed in the Account Bar. I don't see where you have refuted that. It does not have to do with whether the Net Worth total is displayed at the foot of the Account bar.

[And the "three schwab accounts" only coincidentally appear to be "on the same screen: the Account Bar is totally independent of all other Quicken screens - it appears alongside virtually all other Quicken screens.]

"The bottom of the account bar was changed from 'ending balance' to 'net worth'".

No it wasn't, because no such thing can happen. The Account Bar can display one of two values for the individual account balances: the "current balance" or the "ending balance". No other option in Quicken will change the balance alongside each account displayed in the Account Bar.

When you elect to ALSO show "Net Worth" in the Account Bar, all you are doing is telling Quicken to display the total (*) of the Account Bar account balances, at the bottom of the Account Bar. Showing "Net Worth" in the Account Bar has nothing to do with what individual account balances (current or ending) are displayed in the Account Bar.

With Net Worth displayed at the foot of the Account Bar, right-click in the Account Bar and change which account balance is displayed (current or ending) - then watch the Net Worth value at the foot of the Account Bar change to reflect the new total of the newly displayed account balances. Then try removing Net Worth from the Account Bar and note whether the Account Bar balances change.

[ (*) I believe the Net Worth displayed at the foot of the Account Bar willexclude the balances of accounts in the "Separate" group (if you have caused that group to exist).]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I was finally able to pinpoint the problem and made the necessary adjustments to remedy the situation.  I have been using Quicken since 1991 and only until that past 10-15 years or so Schwab had only listed shares to the 2nd decimal (hundredths).  Q had always used 4 decimals (10 to minus 4).  As I closed out mutual fund holdings, I would typically reconcile Q with the Schwab trading receipt, and as such, left out the 3rd and 4th decimal...for example, .0016, .0034 shares.  I would then hide this mutual funds bc I was no longer considering holding them, leaving me with about 25 mutual funds/stocks that have miniscule number of fractional shares like, again. .0016  or .0034 shares.  Needless to say, I "unhid" all the mutual funds with fractional shares and just did a "shares out" transaction on all of them and voila...all is well, except the market's 1841 dow points landslide in the past 2 days.

Thank you to all who attempted to help me with my dilemma.  My apologies for not be able to coherently relate my problem to you at times.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I was finally able to pinpoint the problem and made the necessary adjustments to remedy the situation.  I have been using Quicken since 1991 and only until that past 10-15 years or so Schwab had only listed shares to the 2nd decimal (hundredths).  Q had always used 4 decimals (10 to minus 4).  As I closed out mutual fund holdings, I would typically reconcile Q with the Schwab trading receipt, and as such, left out the 3rd and 4th decimal...for example, .0016, .0034 shares.  I would then hide this mutual funds bc I was no longer considering holding them, leaving me with about 25 mutual funds/stocks that have miniscule number of fractional shares like, again. .0016  or .0034 shares.  Needless to say, I "unhid" all the mutual funds with fractional shares and just did a "shares out" transaction on all of them and voila...all is well, except the market's 1841 dow points landslide in the past 2 days.

Thank you to all who attempted to help me with my dilemma.  My apologies for not be able to coherently relate my problem to you at times.  

Thank you for identifying your cause, effect, and solution.

The message here is to

A) track data to the same precision as used by the financial institution.

B) make the share quantities and dollar values match the financial institution's data. The price per share is not critical.

C) when you sell out a holding, be sure you are selling all the shares.
This discussion has been closed.