Investment Accounts a mess.

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken for Windows 2018. I'm wondering how to start fresh. My investment accounts are a mess after updating/uploading from brokerage. Some info appears to have doubled and lots of unspecified securities etc. Can I delete and redo, can I transfer only gross balance (I have details within my brokerage account). Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You have a couple of options:

1. If this is an account you recently opened (with 60-90 days) just delete it and start over.

2. If you have a clean month-end reconciliation somewhere then delete all transactions after that and re-input them. You will probably have to do this manually.

3. You can start a new account with Q and transfer your positions and cash to it.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If all you want to achieve here is the correct number of shares with those share's "overall" basis properly stated then I'd say start a new investment Account.  In that new investment Account you can do a series of "Add-Shares Added" transactions to enter the correct number of shares and use a "Price paid per share" that brings the basis in line with the brokerage is reporting.  It's almost irrelevant what date you use in the "Date Acquired" box at this point. 

All that will accomplish is to allow you to "balance" both Market Value and Cost Basis with the brokerage account's information.  (You might even want to make these entries over the weekend just to avoid any confusion caused by intervening transactions.)

Then you hide that original Account in Quicken.

You should be able to activate the new Account for online services but you certainly want to specify that "Automatic entry" is OFF.  If you don't then you'll be back in the soup with your first download.  You may have to delete a bunch of "old" entries when you do that first download.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks, where do I find the OFF button for automatic entry?
  • Clayton200
    Clayton200 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bill said:

Thanks, where do I find the OFF button for automatic entry?

For just that account, Edit the Account and on the Online Services tab there is an option there to disable Automatic Entry.

For a Global selection:

Preferences>Downloaded transaction>After downloading transactions has two selections there.

I started off with the Auto Accept because it was the default, but have since disabled it.
This discussion has been closed.