wrong downloaded stock price

Patrick
Patrick Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have noticed sometimes Quicken downloads wrong stock prices for some stocks.  It has happened at least 2 times recently.  For example it is now 2:28 pm PST on 2/12/2018 (after stock market has closed)  Apple stock closed at 162.71, however Quicken showed 162.75.    But not every stock is showing the wrong price.  Some stocks show the correct prices in Quicken.    Please correct it.  

I am using Windows 7 with Quicken 2016 R14.12

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Iam using Quicken 2016 and Wlndows 10.  Now Quicken downloads transactions into the wrong accounts and uses the wrong catagorries.  These transactions are difficult to correct. I am loosing confidence in Quicken.  Wish I had better advice but I don't.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It may not work for everybody, but I usually wait until about 5 pm Pacific (8 pm Eastern) to download stock prices. The prices are usually correct. I have had some price errors when downloading at 4 pm Pacific.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There are two sources for price data - the quotes feed and your brokerage. You can determine which source is the problem by downloading from one source, delete the downloaded price, then download from the other source.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

There are two sources for price data - the quotes feed and your brokerage. You can determine which source is the problem by downloading from one source, delete the downloaded price, then download from the other source.

How do I determine the source? I think Quicken is downloading from the quotes feed, which is having problem of in correct closing stock prices on and off.  How do I switch it to download from the brokerage?   Using Quicken 2016 on Windows 7. Thank you.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

It may not work for everybody, but I usually wait until about 5 pm Pacific (8 pm Eastern) to download stock prices. The prices are usually correct. I have had some price errors when downloading at 4 pm Pacific.

Thanks for this good suggestion.  When I re-downloaded the stock prices shortly after 5 pm Pacific, it corrected the stock prices.     Thank you.
  • Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020

Patrick, I believe if you go to the investing tab and look at the Portfolio sub tab -> Update (top right side) -> Update Quotes...  that pulls the quotes from Quicken.  

Then if you go to the stock detail you can delete the day from the history, and then update your account.  That should pull the information from your brokerage vs. the quote service.  

I haven't tried to do it myself.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I usually go with the Quicken quotes, and they have been right on the money, every day. Just have to wait until 5 pm PST to download. No big deal on the West Coast. I don't get home from work until after that time, anyway...lol.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • maryse
    maryse Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Today Quicken reporting PEG (PSEG) share price at 43.13 when it is actually 54.14.  It's Saturday morning and the market is closed and I've updated the share price twice so there is an issue.
  • Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020

Maryse - are you sure you're using the right ticker symbol?  I find no stock with the ticker PSEG. I looked both at Google and at Quicken online, and neither find a PSEG.  Just checking...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

PEG is the ticker.  And when I searched Fidelity for that ticker, just now, I got this:image

2 weeks ago, when maryse first posted, it was at about $53.50, again per Fidelity.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

My Brokerage TD Ameritrade shows after hours stock prices in my account.  Quicken shows closing prices.  How can I download my Brokerage Prices instead of Quicken prices?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Gerald, I recommend you start a new discussion for your question.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.