Split checing account

i have Quicken Deluxe 2014  cilent with  a checking account with 7629 transactions in it, from 1999 to present. He is unable to add any transactions. I would like to split account into two. can I do this easily and quickly.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You could create a new account and move some (probably the latest, definitely all of the unreconciled) transactions from old to new.

See this FAQ on moving transactions: FAQ - Moving Transactions

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The first thing you I suggest you do is figure out why your client cannot add transactions.  

You should be able to easily add a new register and move a range of transactions to the new register but doing so is not likely to resolve the issue your client is experiencing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I see the qif export feature lets me use a date range. I tried importing and I got a message that said I couldn’t import into a checking acvount.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I see the qif export feature lets me use a date range. I tried importing and I got a message that said I couldn’t import into a checking acvount.

I'm not clear on why you're exporting data to QIF but you can work around the QIF import issue: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I’ve never worked with Quicken - I’m open to suggestions
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Before we go into any convoluted stuff that might make the hole that you (your client?) are in even bigger than it is now ...

1. Be sure to have or create a backup of your Quicken data file before you make any changes.
    2. Tell us more about the "can't add any new transactions" problem. What exactly happens when you try to add a new transaction?

Perhaps you should work together with someone locally, a family member, friend, coworker, etc. who is familiar with Quicken to help you out.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I’ve never worked with Quicken - I’m open to suggestions

If you're not familiar with Quicken, you're probably not the best person to assist your client.  To offer appropriate advice, we need to have a better understanding of the symptoms being experienced.  

I suspect you believe the issue is related to the number of transaction in the register but we can assure you that is not the case.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you - unfortunately I haven’t found anyone locally. I’m going back there today. When I tried to enter a trabtransaction, hit save , quicken crashed, I forget the error message. When I tried to re open quicken. It wouldn’t open. I restored the backup I did.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Thank you - unfortunately I haven’t found anyone locally. I’m going back there today. When I tried to enter a trabtransaction, hit save , quicken crashed, I forget the error message. When I tried to re open quicken. It wouldn’t open. I restored the backup I did.

If the issue is occurring using the most recent data file backup, I suggest you try the next most recent data file backup.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
This discussion has been closed.