I just started using Quicken. I don't want data imported prior to 2018. How do I correct this?

Options
How do I delete all transactions prior to 2018?

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi Colleen,

Which version of Quicken are you using? 

You can go through the transactions and Delete transactions that were prior to 2018.

Is this for tax purposes?

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Colleen,

You can go through the transactions and Delete transactions that were prior to 2018.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

I downloaded the regular Quicken Deluxe. I just wanted to track my stuff for 2018 but it brought in so much else like all of 2017.  This creates a problem for me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Colleen,

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

not tax related
  • William Prendergast
    William Prendergast Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Well I'm far from a "power user" with a lot of knowledge, but I know ONE way you can do that because I've done it:
    Go to each account register and do the following:
    Make sure that your transactions are sorted by DATE.  If not, click on the header of the DATE column so that they sort by date.
    Go to the earliest unwanted transaction:  click to highlight
    Holding down "Shift", go to the last unwanted transaction and click.  
    You will now have a considerable stack of highlighted transactions, ALL dated earlier than the first WANTED transaction that you did not highlight.
    Right click in the area of highlighted transactions.  
    From the long list of possible actions in the box that opens, click "Delete."
    That SHOULD do the trick.  You can try it with just a couple of your earliest unwanted transaction if you want so you feel comfortable with a group delete.  
    Repeat this maneuver with EACH ACCOUNT.  You will now be free of transactions earlier than the first date you want to save.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Well I'm far from a "power user" with a lot of knowledge, but I know ONE way you can do that because I've done it:
    Make sure that your transactions are sorted by DATE.  If not, click on the header of the DATE column so that they sort by date.
    You will now have a considerable stack of highlighted transactions, ALL dated earlier than the first WANTED transaction that you did not highlight.
    That SHOULD do the trick.  You can try it with just a couple of your earliest unwanted transaction if you want so you feel comfortable with a group delete.  
    Repeat this maneuver with EACH ACCOUNT.  You will now be free of transactions earlier than the first date you want to save.

Completely agree with the above description.

However, you'll also need to adjust your STARTING BALANCE as of the end of December 31, 2017 in each register.

Otherwise, your account balances will be incorrect.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The easiest way to remove transactions by date in Quicken for Windows is to use File | File Operations | Copy and specify the date range you want to keep in the copy.

But you may want to consider the advantages to keeping the pre 2018 transactions - such as having more transactions makes it easier to develop a budget as you need a good amount of data to determine your average spending amounts.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.