stop quote updates

Options
Vetta
Vetta Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
QWin17 Deluxe

This is a file size issue-

How do I update an investment register without updating quotes for all securities? I don't want to use file space for daily price updates. Ideally I'd update quotes every Friday night, and of course I could only do a OSU then but that's not always practical. I've unchecked the Download Quotes box in OSU settings but they update anyway.

So, is there an easy answer, or do the quotes not affect file size appreciably? 

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

How many securities do you have in your data file?
    How many of them do you actively own right now?
    How many securities are marked "Show in Watch List" and do you actually use and display the Watch List in your Portfolio views?

Unless you own or track thousands of securities, the Price History file is small fries. You shouldn't have to worry about file size.

Every time you run OSU with your investment accounts included, even with Download Quotes unchecked, Holdings information and most recent closing quote for each stock you own is downloaded.

How about you post an image of the File Information window here so we can see if there's something going on? Click Help, CTRL+click About Quicken.

• Vetta
    Vetta Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The file size isn't an issue now, I'm thinking of preventing one down the road. There's only about 150 stocks. You answered my question by saying "price history file is small fries," so I'm not going to worry about it.
    Now I have to wonder why there is an option to uncheck that Download Quotes box if they're going to download anyway. Does it do something else?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Vetta said:

The file size isn't an issue now, I'm thinking of preventing one down the road. There's only about 150 stocks. You answered my question by saying "price history file is small fries," so I'm not going to worry about it.
    Now I have to wonder why there is an option to uncheck that Download Quotes box if they're going to download anyway. Does it do something else?

The Download Quotes selection applies to downloading prices based on ticker symbol from the Quicken servers.  That selection should be applicable to that data source.  

UKR's comment about investment accounts was referring to the brokerage supplying prices that pair up to the holdings the brokerage is reporting.  Two different sources and two different scopes that do happen to overlap.  
This discussion has been closed.