One Stock Symbol Won't Update

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Does anyone know why the Texas Instruments Incorporated stock TXN, one of my stock positions, is not known to Quicken and will never update - this has been the case for many months?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I don't have any trouble getting TXN to update prices -- QW2017.

My basic understanding is 3 rules apply:
    1. Valid Ticker (TXN is fine)
    2. Checked to download quotes in Security List (Ctrl-Y)
    3. Either shares owned in a Quicken account or have the security in the Quicken Watch List (such as through the security list Ctrl-Y)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Let's start with the obvious...  Have you verified that the security is setup to have its quote downloaded?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks q.lurker. Although I am now using 2018 version, things you mention all check out ok for my situation. I was using 2016 version and I thought it might be resolved with 2018 version.  Looking deeper, I see what appears to be correct updated prices for TXN, but whenever I do One Step Update, it still always generates a report that "No new quotes or investing headlines were downloaded for the securities below". This is only stock that generates this result so very peculiar.  Maybe some kind of corruption in my personal data that I'll need to have Quicken resolve.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    DAKRO said:

Thanks q.lurker. Although I am now using 2018 version, things you mention all check out ok for my situation. I was using 2016 version and I thought it might be resolved with 2018 version.  Looking deeper, I see what appears to be correct updated prices for TXN, but whenever I do One Step Update, it still always generates a report that "No new quotes or investing headlines were downloaded for the securities below". This is only stock that generates this result so very peculiar.  Maybe some kind of corruption in my personal data that I'll need to have Quicken resolve.

That is a different story. The "missing quotes" report is known to not point to the correct ticker. You need to review your list of actual holdings to see which one is truly not getting updated. For me it is usually a bond for which I have created a ticker, but that I do not expect to get downloaded prices. It could also be a security that has recently been delisted.
  • wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    DAKRO said:

What I found out today about 2 of my stocks not updating: just updated to Q2018 Premier and transferred all my data over to the new program. I then bought a couple of stocks and added them to my list of owned stocks. 2 of the 3 stocks would not update. Apparently, I needed to go into Tools, go to the one step update, look for the parenthetical expression to select stocks for update and then add them to the list for updates (something I have never done in 15 years with Q). Once I added those stocks to the selected list of updating, everything seemed to work. Maybe it's the new program but why in the world if you added a stock to Q by buying it, it would not add to a list of stocks to update current prices as well is beyond me. Come on Q; if you select the stock symbol using your selection tools, the symbol should be correct and why would it add 1 of 3 but not all 3 ?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    DAKRO said:

@bill:  My suspicion would be that you owned those two stocks or otherwise had then in your data file at some time in the past.  Thus the one stock was newly added to your file, but the other two already existed in the file under their respective ticker symbols.

At play here is the Download Quotes checkbox accessible through the Security List or as you have found it.  Current Quicken versions (including your prior 2016) operate in such a way that new additions to the security list get added to the Watch list and get that box checked to download quotes. 

Another process in Quicken takes place when you sell off all shares of a security.  When you do that, Quicken unchecks that download quotes box for that security. 

So suppose you owned the security in 2010 and were getting quotes.  You sold off the holding, so Quicken unchecks the box and you no longer get quotes.  Now in 2018 you buy in again.  Quicken does NOT recheck that box.  The user has to go back in and do that.   

Note I am not defending that logic.  I am simply identifying the behavior I have seen as might apply to your situation.  Rebuying securities previously owned behaves differently than newly added securities with respect to downloading quotes.  
  • wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    DAKRO said:

I understand your not defending the logic. It would be hard to do.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I don't don't like the current logic either, but I don't think buying a security when the previous share count was zero should automatically cause quotes to start downloading.

Consider the case of money market funds. When a MMF is used as a settlement fund, its balance often goes to zero. But for some reason quote downloading problems often cause the share price of a MMF to download as zero. Because of this and the fact that the MMF share price is always $1.00, you generally want Download quotes to remain unchecked for MMFs. 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.