"mortgage payment" not reflected in spending tab "Quicken 2016" R14.12

None of the mortgage payment are being reflected in the spending tab.

Using Quicken 2016 R14.12

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Hey Scott,

Is the mortgage payment set up as a transfer from an account?  Are you able to see the transactions in the account that is being used to pay the mortgage?

Let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
  • Scott KruegerScott Krueger Member
    edited January 2018

Hello Tyka

I general write a check from one account to another (different banks)  and then from second account electronic transfer to Mortgage account within same bank

edited December 2018

I can view all transaction in the individual account within Quicken, but does not reflect in the spending tab, considering the mortgage payment is my biggest expense

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited September 2018

Did this ever work, prior to you installing the R 14.12 update of Quicken 2016?

Does that particular Spending view need to be re-customized, to include the accounts you are using?
    Or do you need to change the 3rd Filter item on top of the register view from "Spending without taxes" to "Spending"?

edited January 2018

As far as I remember: NO

It does not make any difference which accounts I selected or if spending with or without.

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    Quicken does not consider transfers to be spending on the Spending tab's Transactions view.  You could use a customized a Spending report to include the transfers.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited January 2018

I can view all transaction in the individual account within Quicken, but does not reflect in the spending tab, considering the mortgage payment is my biggest expense

From C. D. Bales:

" ... the mortgage payment is my biggest expense".

Not necessarily.

A typical mortgage payment consists of (at least) two parts: a payment reducing the loan principal amount, and an interest payment. Your interest payment is definitely an expense, but your mortgage principal payment is definitely NOT an expense.

Having said that: my Q2016 Spending Tab does show my mortgage payments (Quicken is not consistent in its treatment of such things).

There are very few customizations available on the Spending tab.

You should insure that the account from which your mortgage payment is made is selected on the Spending tab - and that the account is not hidden.

[You should note that not all accounts are available for the Spending tab (transactions in investment accounts, for example, are not available for display on the Spending tab).]

You should insure that the date range you have chosen to display will include the transactions you expect to see.

You should also insure that you have not elected to display "Income" (rather than "Spending") in the Spending tab.

[Note: If your loan account in Quicken is activated for downloading, that may impact Quicken's ability to display loan transactions. But I can't tell you exactly what impact would be, as I have no such loan accounts.]
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 2018

Considering that the first part of the mortgage payment is not a transfer but a check written from one bank to another bank. Why would this not show up in spending. the only true transfer is from the seconds bank account to the Mortgage held by the bank. Up till recently I have deposit/ written a check for a little more then the actual payment, so I am trying to save a few dollar each month for emergencies. And general I as make a few dollars extra to be put against the principle. (Principle Reduction).

Is there some other category that I should list the first check under other then Mortgage/ Saving? That would reflect on the spending tab.

With me fooling around a little bit under the spending tab with the Transactions/ Accounts, Dates, I can get the Mortgage payments to show. But the mortgage account is being list as a credit account. as it is an Home Line of Credit account that is being paid off. The only thing I owe against my house.

And depending upon which accounts I have selected, the amounts shows at different values, and the different dates range, like the last 30 days; the payment does not show as it has been more then 30 days since my last payment. But does show under the Last Months date range.

edited January 2018

The same with me, all I use Quicken for is as an accounts register, so I can keep track of my funds. I do not even use the download feature for the banks.

And the only reason I am using 2016, is because an older version would not be supported anymore and I was force into a newer version.

• Steve ColemanSteve Coleman Member
    edited September 2018
    I think I'm having the same issue in Q2018 Premier R5.20

The mortgage interest portion of my mortgage payment is not reflected in the spending report unless I choose "Spending" as the filter in the drop-down. Interest is not a tax so it should, at least I think so, be included when "Spending without taxes" is the filter.

Mortgage interest is set as a schedule A line item for tax purposes but it is not a tax.

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited February 2018

I think I'm having the same issue in Q2018 Premier R5.20

The mortgage interest portion of my mortgage payment is not reflected in the spending report unless I choose "Spending" as the filter in the drop-down. Interest is not a tax so it should, at least I think so, be included when "Spending without taxes" is the filter.

Mortgage interest is set as a schedule A line item for tax purposes but it is not a tax.

Mortgage : Interest is, as you can see a Schedule A - tax deductible item.
    Therefore it does NOT show in "Spending without taxes".

IMHO, I'd just simply change the filter to "Spending" so all expense transactions are included.
    Please don't ask me why "Spending without taxes" was created and why it was chosen as the default. Only the Quicken programmer who wrote it that way could tell you ...

• SnowmanSnowman Member
    edited February 2018

Scott while there is the opinion that Principal is not an expense from an accounting standpoint IT IS an expense.  It is just that Quicken is not able to handle this properly.  There is another way because trying to create a report with transfers does not work either because then you have all of the other transfers included.

From 2006 to 2015 I had mortgages.  I got around this issue by doing the following.  I created a Parent spending category called Mortgage House 1 Expenses.  I then created two subcategories, one for interest and one for principal.

When I sent the payment in for let's say $3,000.00 ($500 Interest & $2,500 in principal) I create a split transaction with $500 to interest, $2,500 to principal but now the reduction in the loan amount principal needs to be addressed.  This is done by a third split for the $2,500 principal amount.  You will get an error that this is an unbalanced transaction, just ignore it.  Now all you spending reports will include this and also your loan balance will be correct.  Attached are screenshots of the splits for this type of transaction and also the report.
    imageimage