Problem with transfer transactions.

Quicken 2018, Version R6.11. Using Windows 10.
When I edit a transfer transaction in the original (root) account, the corresponding transaction in the receiving account is not edited. This is a new problem as before it worked properly. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello Joaquin, appreciate your post.

Pictures speak louder than words.

Could you please share a screen shot of the issue?

Here is how to use the Snipping Tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    May I ask how you categorize the transaction?  I noticed that if I want the two transactions (to and from) linked, on the "to" transaction I must pick the "to account" name (e.g. [ My Bank of XYZ Saving ]), and by doing that, a transaction with category of the "from account" name, and those two transactions are linked so if you edit one, the other one will be updated.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

Your problem description is not specific enough, so others are forced to fumble around trying to guess the specifics of your problem.

Unless there has been a change in Q2018:

The only fields that should be changed in the receiving account when you modify a transfer are the date, tag and amount.

The only time the payee and memo are duplicated in the receiving account is when the transfer is first created.

No other fields are ever duplicated in the receiving account.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I am not asking people to " fumble around". If you need more information just nicely ask.

I do not have any screen shots right now, but here is a specific example: When transferring shares between investment accounts I entered the wrong number of shares to transfer (347 instead of 374) 
    When I realized the mistake I corrected the number in the original transaction (using the edit transaction function) but when I went to the transfer transaction it was still the incorrect number. Nothing else was changed. 
    Hope this better explains the problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I am not asking people to " fumble around". If you need more information just nicely ask.

I do not have any screen shots right now, but here is a specific example: When transferring shares between investment accounts I entered the wrong number of shares to transfer (347 instead of 374) 
    When I realized the mistake I corrected the number in the original transaction (using the edit transaction function) but when I went to the transfer transaction it was still the incorrect number. Nothing else was changed. 

I might be wrong, but as far as I understand, usually transactions from different accounts do not link to each other.  I am not sure if there are other ways, but the only way I know to "link" transaction is through the category of the transaction.  That's why I asked you earlier "how you categorized the transactions".

Would you mind describing how you "transfer shares between investment accounts"?  And let me play with it to see if I can replicate your issue.  Thanks!
  • mshiggins
    edited May 2020

From C. D. Bales:

"When I realized the mistake I corrected the number in the original transaction (using the edit transaction function) but when I went to the transfer transaction it was still the incorrect number".

Based on Q2017 and earlier:

There is no "transfer shares" transaction: that's a pseudo-transaction, you'll never see one in a Quicken account. Transfer Shares just creates one, or more, Shares Removed transactions in the From account and a corresponding number of Shares Added transactions in the To account.

The Shares Removed transactions are not linked to the Shares Added transactions, so nothing you do to the Shares Removed transactions in the From account is going to alter the Shares Added transactions in the To account. That has not changed.

You can either delete all the Shares Removed and Shares Added and redo the Transfer Shares transaction, or you can manually modify the Shares Removed and Shares Added transactions.

[We pretty much always need "more information" than you supplied in your original post. My comment was intended to encourage you to improve your problem descriptions, so we don't need to do so much asking. Here's a place to get more info on that:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...]

• Dennis J Henkemeyer
    Dennis J Henkemeyer Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I am using Quicken 2018 and when I enter a transfer transaction in the original (root) account, the corresponding transaction in the receiving account is not entered. Both accounts are from the same bank.  This is a new problem as before it worked properly. Does anyone have a suggestion.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Having the same problem in Version R11.20 Build 27.1.11.20.  Once was able to easily transfer funds from a simple checking account to a credit card account.  I would simply enter the transaction in my checking account as a transfer and put the account for the credit card in the category and it would show up in the credit card account immediately.  Now I have to re-start Quicken to get the credit card account to show the transfer.  Yes, re-starting Quicken does fix the issue..  Maybe this is the new standard....
  • mshiggins
    edited May 2020

Having the same problem in Version R11.20 Build 27.1.11.20.  Once was able to easily transfer funds from a simple checking account to a credit card account.  I would simply enter the transaction in my checking account as a transfer and put the account for the credit card in the category and it would show up in the credit card account immediately.  Now I have to re-start Quicken to get the credit card account to show the transfer.  Yes, re-starting Quicken does fix the issue..  Maybe this is the new standard....

From C. D. Bales:

"Having the same problem in Version R11.20 Build 27.1.11.20".

Neither you, nor poster Dennis J Henkemeyer, are having the same problem reported by the original poster in this discussion.

The original poster in this discussion incorrectly thought he was having a problem transferring "shares" between investment accounts ... but Quicken was working correctly.

Your problem has nothing to do with transferring shares between investment accounts: your problem is a relatively recently introduced bug in Q2018.

Here is but one of the many discussions about your problem:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

This discussion has been closed.