Quicken does not differentiate between interest, dividends, sales in tax defered IRA/401K accounts a

Robert Edgar
Robert Edgar Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken does not differentiate between interest, dividends, sales in tax defereed IRA/401K accounts and taxable accounts, distorting taxable income calculations.  I am using Quicken 2018 V. R6.11 and Windows 10.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What report are you using? Are you using one of the Tax reports?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Further to what Ms. H asked, why do you think what you said?  I use Win2018 and it does differentiate Divs and Interest.  Are you referring to downloaded transactions or manual entry?  
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well if you run some report - a "Spending" report by Category let's say - and include every Account in your file then you're right; you'll get line items for Interest, Dividends and Capital Gains that includes all the Accounts in your file without differentiation between after-tax Accounts and the other Accounts.  But that's easily fixed.  Customize the report and eliminate the Accounts you don't want included in the report.
  • Robert Edgar
    Robert Edgar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for your response. Your solution is great for viewing income from only select accounts. My biggest gripe is that Quicken automated inputs to the application's Tax Center include income from IRA/401K accounts when calculating annual estimated income tax.  An important distinction for many retirees.
  • Robert Edgar
    Robert Edgar Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Further to what Ms. H asked, why do you think what you said?  I use Win2018 and it does differentiate Divs and Interest.  Are you referring to downloaded transactions or manual entry?  

I am referring to the automated income calculations in the Tax Center function that estimates annual taxable income.  I believe that income from IRA/401K accounts is included in the calculations.
  • Robert Edgar
    Robert Edgar Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    mshiggins said:

What report are you using? Are you using one of the Tax reports?

Quicken Tax Center taxable income estimate includes income from all sources, including tax deferred accounts.
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I read your original post as Quicken not differentiating between Interest, Dividends and sales as different kinds of income.  Sounds like your post is referring to the differentiation of income between taxable and tax-deferred accounts.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Thanks for your response. Your solution is great for viewing income from only select accounts. My biggest gripe is that Quicken automated inputs to the application's Tax Center include income from IRA/401K accounts when calculating annual estimated income tax.  An important distinction for many retirees.

Well I'll admit that I've never used the Tax Center in Quicken so I'm not at all familiar with it, but I just went and looked at the Tax Center in my file and the Taxable Income YTD numbers tie perfectly with my numbers pulled entirely from after-tax Accounts even though my tax-deferred Accounts have plenty of reportable activity in them.

Are your IRA/401(k) Accounts set up as tax-deferred Accounts?  I'd guess that in my case that's what's preventing their activity from showing up in the Tax Center.
  • Robert Edgar
    Robert Edgar Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Really fought with this last year, but maybe I spoke too soon.  I just checked my taxable dividends and interest to date by account against the tax planner and the tax planner is correct so far for 2018.  Thanks for your interest.
This discussion has been closed.