Net Worth report shows negative values for credit card accounts with zero balance

I am running Quicken 2015 Deluxe on Windows 10, both fully updated. I am using a file that I've had for years and that used to produce the correct result. I download transactions and auto-reconcile to the online balance for multiple credit cards. When I look at the accounts, they correctly show zero balances (not used or paid off monthly). However, when I run a net worth report, these accounts appear as Liabilities with large negative values. These negative values are then subtracted (added in effect) to my assets to give an over-inflated net worth. Clicking through the "negative" liability accounts gives a report with no records in range. However, opening the time range to "All Transactions" shows that even though the accounts show a zero balance, total inflows do not match total outflows, and the difference is what is showing up on the net worth report.  So if the balance is zero (some of these accounts are closed) but net inflow doesn't equal net outflow, the net worth report is incorrect. Any suggestions on how to fix this? It's happening with multiple accounts. Everything else is working fine.

Comments

• SherlockSherlock ✭✭✭✭✭ SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I suspect there are filters applied that are excluding transactions from the Net Worth report. I suggest you open the report, select Customize and review the settings on each tab.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • GuerryGuerry Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did try this. My overall net is positive, but the credit card accounts are still showing as negative (as if they owed me) instead of zero, with all filters set to "On". The problem doesn't seem to be the Net Worth report. It seems to me that the problem is how can the balance be zero if total of all inputs minus all outputs is not zero? It's this difference that shows up on the net worth report. Any other suggestion?
  • GuerryGuerry Member
    edited October 2018
    Just to be clear, I'm seeing the balance <> inputs minus outputs on a number of different credit card accounts. They all show up individually on the net worth report, as a negative liability (as if they owed me money). But if I look at the register for these accounts, it shows a zero balance, as do the online websites.
    edited March 2018
    Guerry said:

Just to be clear, I'm seeing the balance <> inputs minus outputs on a number of different credit card accounts. They all show up individually on the net worth report, as a negative liability (as if they owed me money). But if I look at the register for these accounts, it shows a zero balance, as do the online websites.

Do you have any self-referencing transfer (aka, balance adjustment) transactions in these registers?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • GuerryGuerry Member
    edited March 2018
    Guerry said:

Probably. It would certainly make sense. When I moved to reconciling tot he on-line balance I recall that many of them required adjustments to reconcile. I'll try modifying them to look like a transfer in/out of the account and see if that resolves the problem. Good suggestions! Thanks!
  • GuerryGuerry Member
    edited December 2018
    I have the same issue. I have a file I've used for many years. I download and reconcile transactions. For example, my Discovercard today, which I have downloaded transactions for years for (7,800+ transactions), shows an online balance of $48.24, but an Ending Balance of $11,462.91 (all Payments - all Charges), and this then shows as a negative liability (an asset?) in my net worth report, making it pretty useless. I have multiple accounts with this problem. There are no "self-referring" or balance adjustment transactions (I would need to add a $11k adjustment to make the account match the online balance). I've done File-Validate & Repair (no issues). I'm considering doing a Year End Copy to see if that fill fix it but save all my on-line account setups.  This is with all transactions, no filters applied. Any suggestions?
    edited December 2018
    Guerry said:

I have the same issue. I have a file I've used for many years. I download and reconcile transactions. For example, my Discovercard today, which I have downloaded transactions for years for (7,800+ transactions), shows an online balance of $48.24, but an Ending Balance of $11,462.91 (all Payments - all Charges), and this then shows as a negative liability (an asset?) in my net worth report, making it pretty useless. I have multiple accounts with this problem. There are no "self-referring" or balance adjustment transactions (I would need to add a $11k adjustment to make the account match the online balance). I've done File-Validate & Repair (no issues). I'm considering doing a Year End Copy to see if that fill fix it but save all my on-line account setups.  This is with all transactions, no filters applied. Any suggestions?

There is nothing necessarily inconsistent with there being a difference between an online balance and an ending balance or an over-paid credit account appearing with a negative value as a liability on net worth report.  If the account register is appropriately reconciled with the financial institution's statement, any difference between the statement's closing balance and account register's ending balance should be due to the unreconciled transactions in the register.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
This discussion has been closed.