Renaming rules not showing in register

JFFDD
JFFDD Member ✭✭
I am using Quicken Canada 2018 on Windows 2010 Pro.

I use and understand renaming rules.  The problem I have is very often if not most of the time my renaming rules are applied to downloaded transactions.  However when I click on them to add them to the register the renaming rules are not copied over to the register.  The payee reverts back to the downloaded name before the renaming was applied.

Anyone can help with this?

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Jean-Francois,

As a test, can you try turning on automatic entry so the transactions go straight into the register without review to see if the renaming rule sticks?

You can follow the steps to turn automatic entry on here https://www.quicken.com/support/automatic-transaction-entry-preferences.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • JFFDD
    JFFDD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Kyka,

Just had 1 transaction I could test.  It seemed to work.  My preference would definitely not to have the automatic entry on.  I much prefer to see what is going into my accounts.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I completely understand that.

I would try turning it back off and see if that has any affect.

If the issue persists, I would try restoring a current back up or validating the file using https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • JFFDD
    JFFDD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK will give it a try.  Unfortunately I have had this problem for some time now so restoring a backup would not be an option.  Will let you know what happens.

JF
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Are you sure that the Renaming Rule you have in place actually is applied?
    When you click on a downloaded transaction in the Tab area, this transaction should appear in the blue New Transaction line in the register. What Payee Name appears in the new transaction line?

Can
    you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window
    showing the issue (new transaction line and line in downloaded transactions tab), sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to
    capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the
    image.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.

To attach the image here, start composing your reply. At the bottom of the text
    entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select
    and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will
    be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

What are your settings in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions?
    Are the settings for Renaming Rules activated?

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I have been seeing the exact same issue in QW2018 Premier. 

1. The renaming rule is applied to the transaction in the Downloaded Transactions tab. 
    2. But, when the transaction is accepted, the Rule is reverted to the original downloaded name in the account register. 
    3. If you then right-click on the accepted transaction in the register, you will see the "Revert to ..." option showing the renaming rule name. 

It's 100% reproducible, every month for the two utilities that constitute my only Renaming Rule entries. They just both posted the end of last week so it will be another month until I can post screen shots showing the sequence of events.

Adding- my recollection is that earlier versions of Quicken did not apply the renaming rule in the Downloaded Transactions tab. The rule was applied during the process of  accepting the transaction.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have found in the past that if you are in the register and then import the transactions, while the Renaming Rules look like they are applied, they aren't.

You need to go to the register AFTER they are imported for the Renaming Rules to show up as the transactions are accepted.

So, if you go to the register first and then import, go to a different register or window/tab in Quicken and then go back to the register to accept the transactions.

This issue has been around for several years now.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JFFDD
    JFFDD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I will give this a try.  

I agree it's been around for a long time.  Hopefully Quicken will come up with a solution for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.