Upgrading to Quicken 2018 for Mac is too expensive

allanallan Member
I have been a long time user of Quicken from the 1990's and now have Quicken 2015 for Mac. I think expecting users to upgrade every year or two with only a 40% discount or less is too expensive. I have another product that charges for upgrades, But only seldom and has a simple 50% discount offer and only expects users to upgrade to a major release and that maybe only every 4 or 5 years. In comparison I think the Quicken discount offer is very confusing and too expensive for the benefits. I also hate getting those Upgrade or else notices every time I open my email or open Quicken. Plus forcing customers to upgrade else loose function just rankles and so I have decided to stay on Quicken 2015 for another year or two while my wife and I consider other options. Anyone else feeling like me?

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Allan,

I don't know if you use any online functions in QM15 (eg. quotes, transaction download, etc). If so, you should be aware that according to the End User License Agreement and the Discontinuation Policy, the online functionality of QM15 will end on 4/30/2018:

Discontinuation Policy

I am not intending to start a debate about the merits or lack thereof of the subscription model. That's been hashed to death on this forum, so please let's not start it again here on this thread. Search the forum for "subscription" and you'll find plenty of other discussion. I simply wanted to make sure you're aware of the policy so that you're not blindsided at the end of April.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If you check amazon I believe they have a very attractive price offering for Quicken.
  • ShelmaShelma Member
    edited October 2018
    so, at the end of April or so, for those of us who have Quicken 2015, we will no longer be able to download into accounts?  It seems like the 2018 version is a membership and not just the software...
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Shelma said:

so, at the end of April or so, for those of us who have Quicken 2015, we will no longer be able to download into accounts?  It seems like the 2018 version is a membership and not just the software...

It always been a "membership", the length has just changed from 3 years after initial release of version to however long a subscription you elect to purchase.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Shelma said:

Here's some more info:

Subscription Membership FAQs
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RobertRobert Member
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Subscription.

If I have to go to a subscription service to get an update then I will find another application to use.  
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Robert said:

If I have to go to a subscription service to get an update then I will find another application to use.  

Robert, this gets discussed on this forum a lot, but I see you're new here. Quicken has for many years been somewhat like a subscription, in that each annual release worked for three years, after which time the user could continue to use it manually but the download functions would cease to work. The reason for that is that it's expensive to maintain connectivity to thousands of financial institutions which are perpetually changing login procedures for security or marketing reasons, and Quicken needs to charge customers for the servers and the staff to make those things work.

What has changed with the 2018 release last fall is that it's now officially called a subscription, and users can purchase them in a variety of lengths (current 1 year, 2 year or 27 months). But it works the same way: you can continue to pay to renew your subscription and maintain download capabilities, or you can let the subscription expire and use the program entering transactions manually. Other than a name change and a change in time period, there's also a change in pricing. For many people who previously purchased every third year, this plan is a bit more expensive; for people who purchased every year or two, it's the same or less than before.  

The positive for users, as well as Quicken, about the new subscription program is that everyone under a subscription gets updates and bug fixes when they are ready, instead of being held for a big annual new product release. And because all supported users will be on the same version, there are fewer different versions to patch and maintain, which means developers can work on beneficial new features or bug fixes instead of maintaining multiple different versions of the code.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DHClemDHClem Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Robert said:

Hey--I KNOW you know more about QK Mac--and it's history--than me, but it seems when I used 2007--I loved that version--I never had the downloads "ceased to work." Am I misremembering?
    edited March 2018
    Robert said:

The reason 2007 kept downloading was because there was no 2008. Quicken/Intuit went out their way to support the Mac community in continuing online banking as long as they did. If there had been a suitable replacement, d/l'ing would have ceased in 2010.

• DHClemDHClem Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Robert said:

Ah!  That of course makes sense.
  • DHClemDHClem Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Robert said:

Thanks again to *all* SuperUsers who support all of us so much!
  • Susan JamesSusan James Member
    edited March 2018
    Robert said:

I LOVED my Quicken 2007 for Mac (at least in comparison to QM 2017 that I was forced to get because my banks would not support quicken bill pay with 2007).  I had not had QM 2017 very long before 2018 was announced.  I have enough problems with 2017 & I will use it for the length of its support rather than have to deal with NEW problems with 2018.  Hopefully by the time my 2017 expires they will have ironed out the bugs in 2018 - which, for me, would include making reports like 2007 again!
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Robert said:

Yes, still miss the beloved report capabilities of QM2007 (that is one main reason why I still use it), warts and all...I highly recommend you to add your VOTES to related IDEAS found on the:Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

For background, you may want to read this post too. BTW, the columnar-type report is the basis for MANY other reports, as described in detail in this post a little lower; only the selection and formatting criteria are different.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • allanallan Member
    edited October 2018
    Susan & superuser, Thank you both for your comments. I too had 2007
    and loved it, but I moved to Mac and then upgraded to QM 2015 and have not
    been very impressed by usability since. I will certainly will add my votes to more related ideas. I'd like to see Quicken getting better.

Susan, I thank you for
    your input. I was a software developer in my time and understand the
    problems following any major new release. QM 2018 has already had many
    updates since being shipped last October, so I think I'll stay on QM
    2015 for a bit longer and wait before upgrading when less fixes are being
    delivered.
  • allanallan Member
    edited March 2018
    Robert said:

Thank you in particular for the pointer to vote More related Ideas!!
    edited March 2018
    allan said:

been very impressed by usability since. I will certainly will add my votes to more related ideas. I'd like to see Quicken getting better.

Susan, I thank you for
    delivered.

@Allan
    so I think I'll stay on QM 2015 for a bit longer and wait before upgrading when less fixes are being delivered.
    You may be waiting a long time as Quicken is planning to be making routine updates forever since they are no longer on a yearly release cycle like they used to have.

In fact, that is the one good thing about the new subscription policy, continuous improvement.

• ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If I understand correctly, Quicken will no longer support electronic transactions or updates for QM 15 by Mid April 2018
    edited March 2018
    allan said:

Susan, I thank you for
    delivered.

This has been the model Quicken has been using for QMac since 2015 and they made it official as of 2018  across all their products by now calling it a subscription membership (actually started in late 2017 with QW2017 for Canada).

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited March 2018

If I understand correctly, Quicken will no longer support electronic transactions or updates for QM 15 by Mid April 2018

Actually it is the last day in April, Apr 30, 2018, which is the typical day of each year that previous versions expire...see https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    allan said:

Susan, I thank you for
    delivered.

Alan, there have been a lot of improvements, new features, and bug fixes between Quicken 2015 and the current Quicken 2018. I'm not trying to sell you on upgrading, just to make you aware that since you say you "have not been very impressed by usability" of Quicken 2015, there have been many improvements across the three subsequent years of products. Whether those improvements would prove helpful to you or not is something I can't know.

Also, you said "QM 2018 has already had many updates since being shipped last October, so I think I'll stay on QM 2015 for a bit longer and wait before upgrading when less fixes are being delivered." I think you misunderstand the way Quicken is doing updates these days. More updates does not necessarily mean the software is particularly buggy. Every month or two, they put out a new release with some new features and fixes. Some of those releases then have subsequent minor updates to fix bugs which turn up. Then a month or so later, they put out the next release, and so on. This is going to be an ongoing process, indefinitely. So waiting isn't going to result in less-frequent updates. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited March 2018
    allan said:

Susan, I thank you for
    delivered.

BTW, you can see a complete list of all the changes, fixes and new features, for all supported versions, here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows

• Lysander SpoonerLysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

If you check amazon I believe they have a very attractive price offering for Quicken.

I was able to get the all time low price on Amazon: $44.99 for 27 months for Deluxe.
    This was on February 3, 2018 and it might have been a fluke, but it was that price for one day only. I use a price tracker and it sent me an alert that morning so I jumped on it.