Register is automatically adding check number to some transactions

Unknown
Unknown Member
Sometimes when I enter a transaction, a check number is automatically entered (even when it's a deposit!)  There are 2 payees that this happens with, and they are both memorized payees.  There is no place in the memorized payee edit screen for a check number, so I'm not sure why this is happening, but I'd sure like it to stop!  Any suggestions?

Comments

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello Eric and Alea, appreciate your question.

Which version of Quicken are you using? Is it for PC or Mac?

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Quicken 2017 on PC
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello there. Thank you for the information.

Have you tried to turn off the check numbering by switching to another category? (ATM, Deposit, Etc)

More information is available here: https://www.quicken.com/support/configuring-check-numbers

Hope this is helpful.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I usually just leave that field blank unless I need to enter a check number.  On the majority of my transactions, it just stays blank when I record it, but on 2 of my memorized payees, as soon as I enter the payee, it assigns the next check number.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I usually just leave that field blank unless I need to enter a check number.  On the majority of my transactions, it just stays blank when I record it, but on 2 of my memorized payees, as soon as I enter the payee, it assigns the next check number.

I would delete the 2 MPs and create them again to see if the issue continues.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    need answer to same question about check number on Q2013
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

need answer to same question about check number on Q2013

John basically the same answer Splasher gave.  The check number must be saved in your memorized payee (it does that) even though you can't see it or change it.  You will need to delete the memorized payee and recreate it with check number field blank.
This discussion has been closed.