QWin: One-step Update not working with Vantage Credit Union

One-step update has stopped working with my Vantage Credit Union accounts.  I have spent approximately 6 hours on chat with Quicken and nothing has worked.  I have contacted the credit union and there is no change to anything on their end.

One thing I notice is after trying to run the one step update, I look at the summary.  For all the accounts, I see balance $0 as of some date in 1974 (my car loan shows a date in 2015).

I have tried reseting my accounts and have tried deactivating/re-activating my accounts to no avail.  All other accounts with other institutions continue to work, and until recently, the issue at VCU was limited to one account.

Comments

• rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited September 2017
    Do you have multiple separate member accounts such as your's, wife's, child's?  And if so do you have multiple accounts under each or all of those?  

Several months ago I began having issues with FI's who use EWC.  After many frustrating hours of support all but Veridian CU would connect.  At Veridian my family has 3 member accounts.  Each has multiple accounts such as savings, checking, CD, etc.  One of the member accounts has 11 accounts however.  My client file attempted to connect 

I was connected with engineers in Bangalore in April.  Using WebEx the engineers saw the errors and problems over multiple working sessions and many test interations.  In a conference call yesterday an additional person was brought in by Quicken.  He realized right away that my situation was not common (ie multiple logins, multiple and high number of accounts with each). As of yesterday they indicate they have determined the root cause.  

There are triggers or limits set for security purposes that are blocking activation and subsequent downloading of transactions.   The limits are to help protect from hackers trying to inappropriately connect multiple accounts.  

I just got an email overnight saying they see the situation causing my issue and are working now on the limits.  We'll see in a day or so if this is truly root cause - at least in my situation.

I'll be interested in your account structure. 
  • edited December 2018

@mtroberts: Does your Quicken issue resemble what I've described here:

https://tinyurl.com/y8uopek6

• edited July 2017

@mtroberts

My name is
    Melissa and I am with the eCommerce department at Vantage Credit Union. 

Have you
    attempted to re-add your VCU account using the "Add Account" feature
    to retrieve the most recent data? We are not sure why the disconnect
    occurred and hope that this will fix the issue for you.

If this
    does not work, please feel free to call us at 314-298-0055 so that we can
    discuss the issue further and continue our research to find a solution.

• edited December 2018
    What a pleasant surprise seeing a bank rep participate in the community... and in a helpful way to boot. Encore, Encore, Encore !!!!
  • mtrobertsmtroberts Member
    edited June 2017
    rlpinia said:

Do you have multiple separate member accounts such as your's, wife's, child's?  And if so do you have multiple accounts under each or all of those?  

Several months ago I began having issues with FI's who use EWC.  After many frustrating hours of support all but Veridian CU would connect.  At Veridian my family has 3 member accounts.  Each has multiple accounts such as savings, checking, CD, etc.  One of the member accounts has 11 accounts however.  My client file attempted to connect 

I was connected with engineers in Bangalore in April.  Using WebEx the engineers saw the errors and problems over multiple working sessions and many test interations.  In a conference call yesterday an additional person was brought in by Quicken.  He realized right away that my situation was not common (ie multiple logins, multiple and high number of accounts with each). As of yesterday they indicate they have determined the root cause.  

There are triggers or limits set for security purposes that are blocking activation and subsequent downloading of transactions.   The limits are to help protect from hackers trying to inappropriately connect multiple accounts.  

I just got an email overnight saying they see the situation causing my issue and are working now on the limits.  We'll see in a day or so if this is truly root cause - at least in my situation.

I'll be interested in your account structure. 

I have a similar structure, where I have one account that is my personal account and another that is my expense account for business travel.  Under those two accounts, there are other sub accounts, such as checking and savings.
    edited June 2017

@mtroberts: Does your Quicken issue resemble what I've described here:

https://tinyurl.com/y8uopek6

My experience is somewhat similar to what you have encountered.
    edited June 2017

@mtroberts

My name is

Have you

If this

Melissa, I have not tried that, but now that I'm back from a business trip, I'll give it a shot.
    edited June 2017

@mtroberts

My name is

Have you

If this

Melissa,  I tired to use the Add Account process.  However, it when returned all my accounts at VCU, they were all marked to IGNORE and associated with the correct account in Quicken.

Running the one-step update after having tried to add the accounts, I see an error indicated, although it does not show any information about the error.  Looking at the summary, it shows all of my accounts having a zero balance as of 10/3/2017.
  • edited June 2017

@mtroberts

My name is

Have you

If this

mtroberts/Melissa-I also bank at Vantage and 'all of the sudden' can't do an update. I'm getting the same error CC-502. I'm a fairly new user, I have no idea what to do! Help please!
  • stamatie .stamatie . Member
    edited July 2017

I'm having the same issue with Security Service Federal Credit Union. Won't down load transactions. No specific error message except no transactions and 0.00 balance from some obscure past date.

• edited December 2018

@stamatie: If you are using Express Web Connect as your connection type, then the following process will likely resolve your issues with 0.00 balance and obscure past date:

Please report back how this worked for you. It would be great if you included one or more screen shots. Especially, it would be great to see the before and after of the "Unknown Type" accounts. Remember to redact any private info before posting screen shots.

1. Create a copy of your data file using File-->File Operations --> Copy;
    2. Open the newly created copy;
    3. Go into Tools-->Account List
    4. For all active connections, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate"
    5. Once you are done deactivating all connections, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button (with my version of Quicken the button reads "Update Accounts", but the button text seems to be labeled differently, depending on Quicken version). [Some users cannot complete this step because they have an EWC LINKed mortgage account that can't be deactivated. Does this apply to you?]
    6. Close Quicken [don't skip this step]
    7. Re-open Quicken
    8. Create a copy of your data file using File Operations --> Copy;
    9. Open the newly created copy;
    10. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c", which don't appear in my account list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup. If no errors are found, that is OK.
    11. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    12. Again, open the newly created file.
    13. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup.
    14. Perform another file copy again using File Operations --> Copy;
    15. Again, open the newly created file.
    16. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    17. Go to Account list, click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    18. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you LINK the accounts. It is critical that you pick the link account from the pick list even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically. Don't just accept the auto LINK.
    19. Once the setup process completes, you'll probably be back up and running.
    20. It will re-download previously downloaded transactions, but they should Match transactions already in your register and you should be able to just say Accept All and then Done.

Good luck with this.

edited July 2017

@stamatie: If you are using Express Web Connect as your connection type, then the following process will likely resolve your issues with 0.00 balance and obscure past date:

Please report back how this worked for you. It would be great if you included one or more screen shots. Especially, it would be great to see the before and after of the "Unknown Type" accounts. Remember to redact any private info before posting screen shots.

4. For all active connections, click on Edit then click on the Online Services tab. Then click "Deactivate"
    5. Once you are done deactivating all connections, go to Tools-->Online_Centre and hold down CTRL + SHFT while you click on UPDATE/SEND button (with my version of Quicken the button reads "Update Accounts", but the button text seems to be labeled differently, depending on Quicken version). [Some users cannot complete this step because they have an EWC LINKed mortgage account that can't be deactivated. Does this apply to you?]
    7. Re-open Quicken
    10. Perform a file validate: File_Operations-->Validate&Repair-->Validate_File-->OK; if this first validate finds an account error, referencing an account with a name similar to "ACCT_24" or "ACCT_2c", which don't appear in my account list, then the validate process is flushing out the corruption causing the unknown account type in EWC setup. If no errors are found, that is OK.
    13. Validate the file again; if this second validate finds a problem with a category, which wasn't found on the first validate then you are continuing the process of flushing out the corruption causing the "Unknown Type" in the EWC setup.
    16. Validate the file again; typically, there will be no error found this time, but if you do find another account error, repeat the cycle until no account or category issues are found.
    17. Go to Account list, click on Edit for one of the files for which you want to re-setup Express Web Connect, Click on the Online_Services tab, click Setup and follow the instructions.
    18. When you get to the dialogue box where you can ADD, LINK, or IGNORE accounts, be certain that you LINK the accounts. It is critical that you pick the link account from the pick list even if Quicken appears to have proposed the correct link automatically. Don't just accept the auto LINK.
    20. It will re-download previously downloaded transactions, but they should Match transactions already in your register and you should be able to just say Accept All and then Done.

Good luck with this.

Thanks for the try. I cleaned out the errors and it all appears to be talking to the online bank but does not down load the transactions not in my register.
  • edited July 2017

7. Re-open Quicken

Good luck with this.

What happens if you create a brand new quicken file and setup EWC in the new file ? Do the new transactions download to the new file? If not, create another new file and try downloading by Web Connect instead of Express Web Connect. Does that work?
  • edited July 2017

7. Re-open Quicken

Good luck with this.

Did the first process at least get a correct balance as of a recent date via OSU?
    edited July 2017

7. Re-open Quicken

Good luck with this.

tried, nope it added the account as a 0 balance
    edited July 2017

7. Re-open Quicken

Good luck with this.

ok got it to work as a new file. all downloaded with balance. Problem is I don't want to use a new file. to much information is lost. Like checks that are out, auto check input and so on. Help I need my original account to merge the info.
  • edited July 2017

7. Re-open Quicken

Good luck with this.

@stamatie: Trying the new file was intended to be a test to help isolate the problem. I wasn't suggesting it as the final solution. You did learn something from that trial, right?

The reason EWC works in the new file, but is not in your working file, is because there is corruption in your working data file and that corruption is interfering with EWC. In most cases, the corruption can be stripped out by the process I provided to you.

I understand your frustration. I had to give up on a 20 year old data file because of similar corruption issues... that was before I figured out the corruption flushing process. Since piecing together the process I provided to you, I've always been able to fix the corruption to the point where EWC works again... but, it was too late to go back to using my long-term working file. I also spent about 100 hours troubleshooting this problem and patching up the damage to salvaged data file. ;;--(((

Several people with similar symptoms have had complete success with the process I posted. Furthermore, the posted process is really an amalgamation of techniques that Quicken senior tech support advocates to resolve issues with EWC.

I suspect there is some part of the process that you're not executing exactly as I did, but that is difficult to ascertain that without a screen share and without you posting screen shots.

At this point, I recommend that you contact the Office of the President at Quicken and explain your issue and what you've tried to fix it. Emphasize the fact that you can get EWC working in a new file, but not in your working file. Hopefully, they can figure it out. You might have to try and get them to agree to have your data file sent to the Product Development team in Bangalore to see whether they can surgically remove the corruption. They have a tool that can facilitate such "surgery".

There are a couple things you could try, if you wish, before contacting the OotP:
    • Go into the Online Centre, hold ctrl+shift and click on Contact_Info. Look through the accounts listed in the dialogue box that opens. Do you see any accounts that you didn't create? For example, do you any accounts with names like "ACCT_2c"? If so, that is indication of corruption. If you do see the word "Unknown Type" you should mention this issue when you contact the OotP.
    • Another thing you can try is to pretend to Add a new Account: Tools-->Add_Account... When you get to the EWC setup dialogue box (where you normally see ADD, IGNORE, LINK), do you see the words "Unknown Type" anywhere? And, do you see any accounts that you've already set up that seem to be asking you to LINK them again? Either of those behaviours are signs of corruption.
    You can contact the Office of the President here: https://www.quicken.com/about-us/team 

Good luck. Please post how you make out with the Office of the President support.
    edited July 2017

7. Re-open Quicken

Good luck with this.

ok thanks for the help I will try
  • Trish KeleherTrish Keleher Member
    edited October 2017

@mtroberts

My name is

Have you

If this

I too have been having the same issue since 1/2017, just started all of a sudden. I've called quicken numerous times, spent unbelievable hours on the phone with them, and they said it was VCU's problem, called VCU, they say it's Quicken so now a definite dead end.  I'm beyond frustrated.  I've used quicken for years and all of a sudden it's not working.  
    edited July 2017

@mtroberts

My name is

Have you

If this

Trish, I feel your pain.  I've been using Quicken since 1999.  I've found it to get more and more problematic as the years ago by.

I thought I had resolved the VCU issue by just creating a whole new file, but now suddenly it looks as if the problem is back.
  • Dick CarterDick Carter Member
    edited April 2018

7. Re-open Quicken

Good luck with this.

only one problem. One you deactivate all the accounts at the credit union and go to online center, my credit union doesn't come up in the list of financial institutions!!!!!
  • edited April 2018

7. Re-open Quicken

Good luck with this.

@Dick: That isn't a problem. It's OK if your FI doesn't show in the list... just continue with the process.