Paid bills still show up in reminders

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Quicken Sarah,  I have one bill that may help to shed some light.

Actually there are three bills...  I have three accounts with Chase Credit all that update on the same login and all three are linked to reminders.

This month one of the three continues to nag me about entering my Linked Bill amount into the register saying it has not been paid.  This account is a credit card account with a $0.00 balance and therefore no statement or updated billing information. 

Last month there was a balance and a payment that was logged in Quicken.

Hope this helps, Let me know if  you would like additional information.

Dave G
  • Eric WeinerEric Weiner Member
    edited March 2018

Quicken Sarah,  Any updates on this issue,  Have you identified the root cause, or have you been able to reproduce the issue?  

Why not ask for a copy of the quicken file from one of the people with the issue. Seems to me that if your developers can pick a broken file apart, they can see the issue first hand. People report many issues I have never seen. Recreation expends many weeks of time while people continue to struggle.
  • edited April 2018
    For me, it seems like there is a reminder for the Online Bill that gets downloaded and well as the manual reminder.  I normally hit "Enter" to pay the bill so I can select actual amount, date paid, and method of pay (ie. website, EFT, check, debit, etc.).  If I use "Mark as Paid", I do not get the option of modifying the payment details, the reminder just gets cleared.  So, when I pay early, the item goes away until the actual date I had it set due.  At that time, it starts appearing as "Overdue" even though it is paid.  I've noticed, if I go look in "Manage Manual Reminders", that is where it is still showing as overdue.  I normally just click "Ignore This One" and then all is good.

So from a programming standpoint, it seems there are two "Due Date" field.  Perhaps one from Online Bills table and one from Manual Reminders table.  If you select Enter to pay, it suppose it is not making the necessary flags on both tables to show them paid.  Just my thought.....
  • BryanBryan Member
    edited April 2018
    Bryan said:

Having similar issue - 2018 Premier, W10 just started using Quicken bill pay feature in 2018 version so I do not have the bill payer upgrade complexity, although my data file has been upgraded many times.

Issue: from the Bills & Income tax_Bills selection, when I select 'mark paid' for bills that were paid through another bill pay service, the reminder goes away for an unknown time (does not always come right back if I refresh bills), but then a day or two later it comes back as due.  I have logged in to the payee's website and they show a zero balance due, yet Quicken Bill Pay is bringing the bills back to life over and over.

The bills that I am scheduling through Quicken Bill Pay sometimes function correctly and other times they come back (Chase credit card like one of the above is an issue), payment has cleared the register today yet comes back as due today on the Bills page), Other payees worked correctly (so far).  I am not using bill reminders, just going to the bill section each time and looking for due payments.

The problem happens after one step update more than the refresh the bill icon from the bill pay page.

Help!!!

Thanks.

Update: issue still present after latest patch R7.5.  There are about 5 payments that were made a few weeks ago (some manual and some scheduled through Quicken bill pay (automatic), automatic appear to be related to Chase) that keep coming back to the check register as scheduled payments, they schedule out approximately to the due date day + 60 days, example today is 4/2, the original due date may have been 3-15, so the duplicate entry shows up in the register with no user iteration scheduled for 6-15, or today + 60 for the month and the day as it relates to the original due date.  I delete them and then at a future download they will show up again.

Help please!
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you all very much for your responses and answers to my multiple questions.  With the information provided I've been able to identify multiple issues that when combined together is contributing to the larger problem of paid bills reappearing in the Bills tab.  I'm in the process of creating tickets for each of these issues but need to request your help once more.

For all those who are experiencing this issue, please go to the "Help" menu at the top of Quicken and select "Report a Problem" from the menu.  In the screen that opens, please mark all log files listed and include a sanitized copy of the data file.  In the subject line please reference: Attn: Sarah.  In the description please list the URL for this post. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/paid-bills-still-show-up-in-reminders

image  image

The requested information will be included with the tickets I'm opening with Development for assistance with investigating the various issues for resolution.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited September 2018
    Sarah, 

I am unable to report a problem.  When I click on the report a problem under help, the entire quicken program shuts down
  • Chris said:

Sarah, 

I am unable to report a problem.  When I click on the report a problem under help, the entire quicken program shuts down

The solution to Problem #1 has become Problem #2.  

Multiple users describe Quicken spontaneously shutting down when using Report A Problem.  

Almost laughable. 
  • edited April 2018
    Sarah,
      Hate to pile on, I am also having the same issue trying to "Report a Problem"
  • Barry SchnellBarry Schnell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Sarah,
      Hate to pile on, I am also having the same issue trying to "Report a Problem"

@Sarah -

It's a good thing you asked me on our call to use the Report a Problem and send in logs files prior to upgrading to R7.5.

I'm also encountering the same "crash" when choosing "Reporting a Problem" after upgrading to R7.5.

There is nothing in the Windows Event Log (App nor System) after the crash which would normally have a event logged in the case of an abnormal application termination.
    edited July 2018
    Hi Everyone,

I apologize that this is happening but a possible solution is available, created by SuperUser Jim Harman in https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2018-submit-problem-under-help-causes-pr... that might resolve the freeze/crash. 

For convenience I am listing the provided steps below but wanted to make sure credit was given where it was due :)
    1. Open the Help menu at the top of Quicken and select "Log Files.
    2. Starting with the top file listed (OFX Log), open the file, a notepad window should open and then close the file. 
    3. Proceed to open and close each file listed, you may receive an error message similar to: 
    • QFX - "No file" dialog
    • MS Money - "No file dialog"
    • Update log - "no patch log" dialog
    • Quicken Auth log - "no auth log" dialog
    If so, that is fine, those are the missing or not created files that may be the cause of the crash, just close the error messages as they occur.

4.  Once each file has been opened and closed, then close the Log Files dialog window.
         5.  Open the Help menu again and select "Report a Problem" 
         6.  There may be a slight delay but the window should open and when it does, close it and then close and re-open Quicken.
         7.  Back in Quicken, visit the Help menu once for and select "Report a Problem" again - this time the window should open and allow you to submit the logs and file without a freeze, crash or error.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • ChrisChris Member
    edited May 2018

Hi Everyone,

I apologize that this is happening but a possible solution is available, created by SuperUser Jim Harman in https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2018-submit-problem-under-help-causes-pr... that might resolve the freeze/crash. 

For convenience I am listing the provided steps below but wanted to make sure credit was given where it was due :)

2. Starting with the top file listed (OFX Log), open the file, a notepad window should open and then close the file. 
    3. Proceed to open and close each file listed, you may receive an error message similar to: 
    • QFX - "No file" dialog
    If so, that is fine, those are the missing or not created files that may be the cause of the crash, just close the error messages as they occur.

4.  Once each file has been opened and closed, then close the Log Files dialog window.
         6.  There may be a slight delay but the window should open and when it does, close it and then close and re-open Quicken.
         7.  Back in Quicken, visit the Help menu once for and select "Report a Problem" again - this time the window should open and allow you to submit the logs and file without a freeze, crash or error.

Thank you,

Sarah
    Nope, did not work, still crashes when I try to report a problem.  I agree with the other poster, laughable.  but what other choice do we have other than be strung along, no other financial program out there.
    edited April 2018

Hi Everyone,

• QFX - "No file" dialog

Thank you,

Sarah
    Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to hear that it still did not work.  I've sent you an email from our internal support system, to the address on file for your Community Profile, with some additional information.  Please keep an eye out for the email.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited April 2018

Hi Everyone,

• QFX - "No file" dialog

Thank you,

Sarah
    @Sarah -

I completed the steps as described and fortunately, the "Report a Problem" dialog now appears as expected even after closing and re-opening Quicken.

Questions:

1) Were you able to reproduce this issue on your end?
    2) Assuming yes but just want to confirm that this issue has been filed with development and that inclusive in that bug resolution they will include improved testing of the product in this area prior to future releases

Thanks!
    edited April 2018

Hi Everyone,

• QFX - "No file" dialog

Thank you,

Sarah
    Hi Barry,

I'm glad to hear those steps worked and I'm still investigating for the root cause. A few agents were able to recreate the freeze/crash in-house and there seems to be a correlation to having multiple User profiles on the computer and Quicken attempting to aggregate the logs for those other Users when opening the Report a Problem dialogue window. 

I don't have all the answers yet, but promise as soon as I do, a ticket will be filed as appropriate.

Thanks!

Sarah
    edited April 2018

Hi Everyone,

• QFX - "No file" dialog

Thank you,

Sarah
    Hi @Sarah -

Appreciate the update and you looking in to this, thank you!

Regarding multiple profiles, for what it's worth, my machine is Windows 10 (latest updates) and I do have 3 User profiles (Default Profile, <LOCALMACHINE>\barry and <domain>\barry.  When I experienced the crash, I was using the <domain>\barry account which is the account I always use on this particular machine.  The machine was in the same "state" user profile wise prior to R7.5.

Look forward to learning more once you have more information, thank you again!
  • edited April 2018

Hi Everyone,

• QFX - "No file" dialog

Thank you,

Sarah
    It looks like it worked for me.  I hope they can clean up the reminder/bills section.  Quite honestly this is the only reason I use quicken versus other tools like Mint.  Quicken is the only tool that allows me to forecast forward on my account to verify when 10 bills automatically get paid that my balance does not go below $0. 
  • TalonTalon Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Bills and Reminders Conflict in Quicken 2018 Premier for Windows.

Quicken 2018 Premier for Windows - issue is that I have a bills connected directly to the source and linked reminders (so I can roughly estimate upcoming cash flow).  Every time I open Quicken and it syncs, it creates unwanted entries (e.g. something set to start May 8, shows up on April 8th in the account).  When I tell it to ignore this one, I would expect it to auto-populate the item in May 8th (as I originally instructed when creating the reminder).  However, it then skips May entirely and shows up next in June.  And then as soon as I re-sync everything, it shows right back up on April 8.   I have tried every combination (no linked reminders, no online connected bills, etc.), and it appears that Reminders are completely broken in this build.
  • Susan BraselSusan Brasel Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Quicken Premier 2018  I go to Bills and Income.  Click Enter on whatever is due.  I Print my own checks, they are not tied to online billing.  After I print my checks, they are still showing they are still due on the original due date.  They are not leaving or being marked as paid automatically, I have to go in and manually click on Mark as Paid.

Today I manually entered one check on the register to be printed.  It duplicated itself on the register, but did not subtract the amount from the balance. When I deleted the duplicate entry, the original entry also deleted. It took several tries to get it to only give me one line of entry.
  • Susan BraselSusan Brasel Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Chris said:

Sarah, 

I tried to Report a problem also.  it closed Quicken down.
  • TalonTalon Member
    edited April 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Community and I apologize that this has been happening.  There have been several reports of various issues with the new Bills & Income tab view and processes; this is why this post was marked as "Acknowledged", however, I have been researching these specific complaints and am unable to reproduce them with the limited information available.

I would love to get this in front of Development so it can be properly investigated and a fix implemented.  Since I can't duplicate the experience, can you please provide the exact step by step pathway to reproduce these errors?  As well as answer the additional questions below, if applicable for your situation.

• The paid bills that still show in reminders - how were the payments made?  Quicken Bill Pay, Financial Institution Bill Pay service, payment made outside of Quicken via EFT or paper check?
    • During the One Step Update, are any payment instructions being sent to the Financial Institution(s)?
    • @Barry, @Karen - prior to running the One Step Update, how are the transactions being entered into the register?
    • Have the payments cleared at the Financial Institution?  If so, when did they clear and have the cleared transactions downloaded into Quicken?
    • If the cleared transactions have downloaded into Quicken - what action did you take on the transaction?  Auto-entered into the register, manually accepted into the register, matched to a reminder, deleted?
    • Is every bill that still shows in the reminders after being paid, linked to an Online Biller?  
    • On the Bills & Income tab - are you selecting "Enter" or "Mark as Paid" on the reminder?  Or something else? If so, what action are you taking?
    Any additional details, information or screenshots (personal information redacted to protect your privacy please) you can share on this issue would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sarah
    @Karen's workaround works.  The net is that linked bills to reminders breaks the consistency of forecasting balances.

I just purchased a year of Quicken 2018 this weekend after last owning it in 2015.  Starting to question this decision if something as basic as this is still a bug after being reported this far back in the version.  What's the status of the fix?  I'd like to avoid having to manually adjust each reminder to match the real bill each month...
  • BrentBrent Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Bills & Income screen.

B&I screen is still a mess, months after other message threads have been closed off around it.

I'm on 2018 R7.5 (27.1.7.5). Have the following issues that keep recurring:
    > I pay a scheduled bill and it keeps showing as payable on the screen. Have to either delete the instance or edit it to set it out to the next time, which in some cases is a weird schedule. And the one still showing is live; I've wound up with the trx in twice when (early on) I thought I had not entered it so entered again.
    > Scheduled bills move themselves. As in, my property tax payment that was due earlier this month randomly decided to reschedule itself for 7 months from now. (I caught it in time.)
    > Scheduled bills just disappear. Sometimes I can find them if I go to the Manage Manual B&I screen. Sometimes I can't. But then they (occasionally) reappear later.
    > And why did the option to write a check disappear from this screen? Sometimes you only have to write one and it was much more convenient to do from here. (Actually most of the time, since I minimize physical check writing mostly I'm only writing one at a time.)

Brent
  • GLKNYGLKNY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all very much for your responses and answers to my multiple questions.  With the information provided I've been able to identify multiple issues that when combined together is contributing to the larger problem of paid bills reappearing in the Bills tab.  I'm in the process of creating tickets for each of these issues but need to request your help once more.

For all those who are experiencing this issue, please go to the "Help" menu at the top of Quicken and select "Report a Problem" from the menu.  In the screen that opens, please mark all log files listed and include a sanitized copy of the data file.  In the subject line please reference: Attn: Sarah.  In the description please list the URL for this post. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/paid-bills-still-show-up-in-reminders

image  image

The requested information will be included with the tickets I'm opening with Development for assistance with investigating the various issues for resolution.

Thank you,

Sarah

FYI - Got the "report a problem to Quicken" to work, however have tried two times yesterday and once today when "send to Quicken button" is pressed I eventually get the following message.  "Unable to send report to Quicken, please try again"
  • BrentBrent Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    And one addition to my msg that got transferred here: Today a major credit card bill just disappeared from the B&I screen. When I went to Manage Manual B&I it was there. On the All Bills & Deposits tab I clicked Enter but nothing would happen (multiple tries). I had to go to the Monthly Bills & Deposits screen, there it would let me actually enter it.

In response to the various info requests above, I do not use any of the online features for paying bills. Each reminder is set up manually (mostly from older versions of Quicken). They are either automatically drawn (e.g. mortgage) or I use my bank's web site to send the payment each month. I then enter the transaction through the item on the B&I screen. There are a couple that I print checks but mostly that is one-off's where you're paying a plumber or some such.

Brent
    edited September 2018
    Hello Everyone,

We've received a small update from Development regarding these multiple Biller issues.  A solution has been found and is currently estimated to be available as part of the mid-April release.  Please note, this is an estimate and may be delayed if any additional errors or issues are found during the testing phase.

We appreciate your patience while this issue was being researched and thank you to all those who shared their data with us, it was instrumental in researching and creating a solution.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hello Everyone,

We've received a small update from Development regarding these multiple Biller issues.  A solution has been found and is currently estimated to be available as part of the mid-April release.  Please note, this is an estimate and may be delayed if any additional errors or issues are found during the testing phase.

We appreciate your patience while this issue was being researched and thank you to all those who shared their data with us, it was instrumental in researching and creating a solution.

Thank you,

Sarah

Thanks for the update. It is good to know they are treating this as the critical Bug it is!!
  • MykScotMykScot Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah

I cant't wait to get the update.  It's simple.  If I mark something as paid, I do not want it overwritten (or readded) by a bill update.
    edited April 2018

Hello Everyone,

Thank you,

Sarah

@Sarah -

This is wonderful news, thank you for sharing! 

Also, thank you for all your assistance and effort on working with all of us and internally to drive towards identification and (hopeful) resolution.  We do recognize that you bear direct brunt of users frustrations with the product (which are understandable given the critical nature of the issues) but please trust that we do appreciate all that you've done to move this along.  We sincerely hope that Quicken has learned from this as well and works to improve their internal processes (specifically around testing) to minimize risk of issues like this in the future.

Thank you again!

Eagerly Awaiting Mid-April :)
  • Rob WilliamsRob Williams Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Stacked View Shows Overdue Bills.

After upgrading to Quicken 2018, I now have 5 bills in the "stacked" view that show overdue.  I upgraded on 3/31 and these bills had already been paid but were due April 4.  If I enter them the alert goes away.  However then I delete them in the register because they are duplicates.  The next time I do an update on my bills they show back up.  All four billers are linked to monthly bills.  Incidentally when i do enter them it auto selects a payment date in May (one month after the due date). 

It also shows several bills stamped as "paid" with an amount of $0.00 

Have to say I'm not real happy with 2018 so far.  Seems like a lot of bugs.
  • Ona444Ona444 Member
    edited June 2018
    LOL, now - when I choose "HELP -- REPORT A PROBLEM, Quick just crashes.  SMH.
  • David MoufarregeDavid Moufarrege Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    In addition, for a linked biller, the update creates a new copy of the bill instead of  updating the original bill. As a result, I have one bill showing with the amount due and the correct due date, and one showing as "awaiting next bill" This is Q2018 R7.5 Build 27.1.7.5
This discussion has been closed.