Exchange Equity with Same Symbol RSP 4/9/18

Options
TheDude
TheDude Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Win10 Q2017 H&B.  PowerShares recently acquired Rydex Guggenheim ETFs.  Broker reports as a Mandatory Exchange.  Symbol RSP has not changed.   What is the best way to record in quicken:  1) As a Corporate Name Change  2) As a Stock for Stock Acquisition.  Note a few issues:  Also held in multiple brokerage accounts.  Note, the issue of keeping the same symbol.  Pros and Cons:  If 1, them Cross reference to statements might be confusing and quicken may issue the standard error of New Name Already In Use.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Has the CUSIP number changed? That is what Quicken generally users to match transaction downloads to securities.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    A Corporate Name change will simply revise the name shown for the security.  This will apply to all past and future transactions.  It will also stick a "Reminder" transaction in the account you are en when you enter that name change.  All that you can also do yourself individually.

A Stock-for-stock Acquisition will generate (in all applicable accounts, I believe) a Remove Shares for the old security and a series of Add shares (one per lot) for the new security.  To make that happen most effectively, I would suggest you first create the new security.  That would lead you to first editing the existing security to change the ticker (perhaps to RSP-old), then adding the new security with the proper current RSP ticker.  Then you could cleanly enter the acquisition transaction. 

My preference would be the name change.  Although that would indicate you originally purchased the iShares version of the ETF when you really purchased the Rydex Guggenheim version, I don;t see that as having a detrimental effect.  

If the CUSIP did change or you have trouble relating the download of data, uncheck the "Matched to Online security" box for the security.  Next download (maybe sooner), you'll have the opportunuty to properly relate your Quicken data with the download data.  

HTH
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm missing the issue. Why is ANY change necessary?  Simply stick in a "Reminder Transaction" to note the date if you need that info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TheDude
    TheDude Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Gentlemen (I assume), Thank you for your responses.  Ironically I have read a number of each of your previous replys to other issues and they have been beneficail to me, espeically a few from q.lurker.  

As I review the responses, yes CUSPIP has changed: 
    NEW:  Fund Ticker RSP  CUSIP # 739371813  ISIN US7393718132
    OLD:  Fund Ticker RSP  CUSIP # 78355W106 ISIN ?? Can't locate

I am left wondering if implementing either a 1) Corp Name Change or 2)  Stock for Stock Acquisition, might potentially have an impact on historical prices, and in particular if I ever have to rebuild price history.  One of the most significant uses of my inestment data in quicken is to look at portfolio value at various intervals to assess what strategies have had the most beneficial impact.

WIth respect to NotACPA, "missing the issue.  Why is any change necessary?"  Quicken is prompting if the new secuirty name (PowerShares S&P 500 Equal Weigh Portfol) is a new security or it the old (RYDEX ETF TRUST GUG S&P500 EQ WT). I am not sure of implications, some noted above, of future impact on how to handle the transaction.  Each brokerage has reported it as a slightly different transaction:  
    TDAmeritrade:  MANDATORY - EXCHANGE (78355W106)
    Fidelity:  MERGER MER FROM 78355W106#REOR M0051119510001 POWERSHARES EXCHANGE TRADED FD TST S&P (RSP) 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    TheDude said:

Gentlemen (I assume), Thank you for your responses.  Ironically I have read a number of each of your previous replys to other issues and they have been beneficail to me, espeically a few from q.lurker.  

As I review the responses, yes CUSPIP has changed: 
    NEW:  Fund Ticker RSP  CUSIP # 739371813  ISIN US7393718132
    OLD:  Fund Ticker RSP  CUSIP # 78355W106 ISIN ?? Can't locate

I am left wondering if implementing either a 1) Corp Name Change or 2)  Stock for Stock Acquisition, might potentially have an impact on historical prices, and in particular if I ever have to rebuild price history.  One of the most significant uses of my inestment data in quicken is to look at portfolio value at various intervals to assess what strategies have had the most beneficial impact.

WIth respect to NotACPA, "missing the issue.  Why is any change necessary?"  Quicken is prompting if the new secuirty name (PowerShares S&P 500 Equal Weigh Portfol) is a new security or it the old (RYDEX ETF TRUST GUG S&P500 EQ WT). I am not sure of implications, some noted above, of future impact on how to handle the transaction.  Each brokerage has reported it as a slightly different transaction:  
    TDAmeritrade:  MANDATORY - EXCHANGE (78355W106)
    Fidelity:  MERGER MER FROM 78355W106#REOR M0051119510001 POWERSHARES EXCHANGE TRADED FD TST S&P (RSP) 

Both approaches will leave the historical prices in tact, although if you take my suggestion (Corp Acquisition approach) to reticker the old security the prices will be under two different labels.  Any time you are looking at "performance" across that transition date, you would need to be keeping both securities involved in the report.  Separating the two can lead to misunderstandings and misinterpretations.  Thus my bias toward the name change. 

It is likely the CUSIP change that is leading to the prompt you are seeing.  I see no real issues with telling Quicken that the new is the old.  Since I prefer to know what is taking place, I would do the name change myself, then be looking at answering that question stating they are the same.  That type of question was what I was getting at with my last paragraph previous.  Answering that question "the same" will apply the new CUSIP number to the existing Quicken security, thereby replacing the original CUSIP.  No problems with that; the old CUSIP no longer exists. 

Also in the vein of keeping control, I would work through this one account at a time.  Get the manually entries clear (Name Change?), then the first account.  Make sure you have the info correct for that first account, then look at the second.  I suspect when you have the name changed, and the first account correct, the second will automatically record properly. 

Using the name change approach, neither account should have an "exchange" transaction recorded, unless you choose to enter reminder transactions to that effect. (Not a bad idea, though certainly not mandatory either.)  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Fidelity downloaded those to me as Sell/Buy pairs with no price information. So that was clearly wrong. I simply did a Remove Shares followed by an Add Shares. This gets the CUSIPs right, even though the same symbol remains for both old and new securities. I may go back and change or delete the symbols of the old securities.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.