Some securities prices not downloading

Options
Boatnmaniac
Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Prices for some securities are not downloading.  This issue affects both stocks and mutual funds. 

"Download Quotes" is checked in the Securities List for all the affected securities and they are not hidden. 

However, the affected securities do not show up at all in "Get Historical Prices" so I cannot manually download them this way.

When I click on "Download Quotes" for these securities from Securities Details View (from the Update drop-down menu) Quicken says it is downloading the quotes but the Price History does not get updated.

Apparently this issue has been occurring for a quite some time since the last downloaded price dates for these securities varies over a time period of at least 1-1/2 yrs.

I confirmed all the ticker symbols are correct, that they are still being actively traded and that their security types (mutual fund or stock) are correctly assigned.

All of these securities are ones that I used to own but no longer do.  This problem came to my attention when I wanted to review pricing history for some of them to see if I might want to reinvest in them.

Here is a sample of the affected securities.  More can be provided if needed.: 

Stocks: Comerica (CMA), Boeing (BA), B&G Foods (BGS), Brystol-Myers Squib (BMY).

Mutual Funds:  Cambiar Opportunity Investors (CAMOX), Baron Growth (BGRFX), Aston Tamro Small Cap N (ATASX).

I am running QW 2016 Premier, Version R14.12, Build 25.1.14.12, on Windows 10.

Any ideas on what might be causing this and what can be done to fix it?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You need to add those securities to the watch list.

I believe the current criteria for prices coming through the download feature are

1). Valid ticker

2). Checked to have prices downloaded

3). Actually own shares (within Quicken) or have the security in the watch list.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    q.lurker said:

I believe the current criteria for prices coming through the download feature are

1). Valid ticker

3). Actually own shares (within Quicken) or have the security in the watch list.

Thanks.  I added all of my un-hidden securities to the Watch List and that fixed the missing price data. 

It does seem odd to have to add everything to the Watch List simply to get quote downloads for no longer owned securities that I want to review every once in a while instead of regularly tracking.  The Watch List is most effective for tracking a limited number of non-owned securities for routine monitoring.  Adding every un-hidden non-owned security to the Watch List really makes it a pretty ineffective and relatively meaningless tool.  In my case, my Watch List used to include 15-20 securities but now it has 200+.  It no longer holds much value for me.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    q.lurker said:

1). Valid ticker

Within the confines of the program, you don't get it both ways.  If you want to watch a security you do not own, it needs to be in the Watch List.  That applies whether you are Watching it casually (once a week for prices) or rigorously (daily for volumes, PEs, prices, and other data).  

I don't think Quicken tries to place themselves in the serious Investment Decision software arena.  

You may want to consider having one Portfolio View "Show" customized to the selection of 15-20 Watch List securities you really want to follow closely and a separate "Show" for the more comprehensive list. 
This discussion has been closed.