Mac Request option to hide categories and tags (32 Legacy Votes +66 Merged Votes)

Please add the capability of hiding seldom used/old categories and tags in Q2018 Mac. No I can't delete them because they are tied to old transactions.
95 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Implemented in 7.6 version release

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    My workaround is to just rename them to start with a "z" so they sort to the bottom of the lists.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Thanks, but that is just another bandage on the problem.  I just wanted Q to know I would like a fix for Mac users like the Window version has in place.
  • RickO
    edited November 2020

Thanks, but that is just another bandage on the problem.  I just wanted Q to know I would like a fix for Mac users like the Window version has in place.

Chris, it's a good idea and I did vote for it. I just can't get that excited, though, about something for which there is a simple bandaid when there are so many more pressing needs.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted! Your VOTE matters!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features.

You may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• 300 Guy
    300 Guy Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Allow me to remove the investments category. I use this for my farm and do not need this in the category. 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    On the QWin side, you can hide the Investing tab and it hides all the investment features and reports. I'm not sure if QMac has equivalent functionality.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
     Unfortunately, QMac does not yet have the "Hide" feature for categories.

The Investment parent category and its' subcategories are marked as "Required" in the list and, as such, they cannot be edited or deleted.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
     I don't recall what affect hiding the Investing tab has on categories. I'll have to take a look.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
     In Quicken for Mac 2018 I cannot find a way to inactivate categories. I have transactions assigned to categories (e.g. Schedule C items, adoption expenses) that I no longer use. Unfortunately, Quicken continues to suggest them when I download transactions. On Windows I was always able to inactivate them. Where is this feature on Mac?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
     In Quicken Mac, you can only inactivate (hide) categories that have no transactions associated with that category.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Actually, you CAN hide ANY category in the category list (right-click)...you cannot DELETE categories that have transactions associated with them.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Can you confirm ability to hide categories in QMac - I have not seen this feature in any of the new QMac series.

One can hide categories in QWin per your instructions.
    Quicken user since 1991

• RickO
    edited April 2018
    I agree JM. You can hide payees, but you cannot hide categories.

Suggested workaround: rename the categories you are not using by putting a "z" in front of the name so it sorts to the end of the list.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
     I can delete unused categories, but I can't hide anything.

Also, right-click doesn't bring up anything in QMac.

Sounds like this feature got left behind in the re-launch of the QMac lineup. For those of us who have been using Quicken 15-20 years this is a bit of an issue. My file carries a lot of baggage. Some of it I'd like to access from time to time in reports, but I don't need to see it day to day.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not totally missing something obvious.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    sorry...mixed up the 2.  :-(

Yes, that is one work-around...

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The OP is requesting the ability to remove un-needed categories - not tax line items.
    The un-needed categories clutter the category list. I use the investment features regularly but have no use for about half of the default investment categories.

What we need in QMac is the ability to hide categories to reduce clutter.

This feature would also come in to play with old, no longer needed categories; e.g., I am retired and no longer need the payroll withholding categories. Also, owned rental properties in the past but no longer need to see/use these.
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    Eliminate Investments as a required category

Earlier, I posted a question about being able to delete the entire Investment section of categories. For my purposes in using Quicken to record the financial transactions of a small, not-for-profit organization, all of those categories are unnecessary and just clutter up the category list. I learned that you can't delete any of the categories that are labeled "required" by the program.

SuperUser RickO had this suggestion:
    Quicken could modify the logic so that these categories could be deleted and then automatically re-created if used in an investment transaction, and then not allow them to be deleted when in use. Or they could allow hiding of categories. Perhaps they'll eventually do that.

That now becomes my feature request. Either allow users to hide or delete all of the categories they don't want to use. Let the program re-create categories as needed.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2018
    William, I'm just curious how the Investment categories cause you enough trouble to be aggravated. I certainly understand if you don't need them, but I've never noticed categories I don't use getting in my way.

Do you enter transactions manually? Do you type characters when you tab to the Category field, or do you click on the arrows to pop up the entire list? I usually type a character or two, which pops up a short list I can select from, so I don't find investment transactions getting in the way. (I'm not trying to dissuade you from your idea request, just wondering if there's any way to help you use the program more effectively as it is.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I frequently use the Category window to add new categories as needed. The Investment section is large and forces the user to scroll down through too many categories to get to the bottom of the alphabet to view all the categories previously created. I've tried to collapse the Investment category using the triangle to the left, but when you re-open the Category list, the Investment categories have expanded again. Unlike most menus that you can collapse, this one doesn't stay collapsed. I'd call that a bug.
  • RickO
    edited April 2018
    You can type a few letters when viewing the Category window to jump down to the area you want to be in.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Inactivating categories previously used, but no longer needed without deleting.

I would like to be able to inactivate a category that has been previously used, but I will no longer be using.  I just want it to be hidden in the categories and no longer appear as a future choice, but I DO NOT want to delete it.  Deleting it would only re-catagorize those older entries as 'uncategorized.'  I do not want a ton of uncategorized entries. That would only make referencing financial history a big mess.  

I was thinking there could be an ''Active/Inactive' check box' as part of 'Categories > Edit'.  Or there could be a toggling 'Active/Inactive' selection as part of 'Categories > Settings'.

How possible is this?imageimage
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Inactivating categories previously used, but no longer needed without deleting.

• RickO
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

That feature doesn't exist (yet), but there's already an IDEA post for it. You will want to go to the link below and VOTE for it by clicking the VOTE button at the top right:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/q2018-mac-request-option-to-hide-categories-and-...

In the mean time, when you tab into the category field, if you type a couple of letters, the list of choices should be quite short. Then use the down arrow key to select the one you want and tab into the next field. 

You might also want to rename your inactive categories to start with "z" or Option-Z (Ω) so they sort to the end of the list.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Inactivating categories previously used, but no longer needed without deleting.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2020

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Inactivating categories previously used, but no longer needed without deleting.

I would like to be able to inactivate a category that has been previously used, but I will no longer be using.  I just want it to be hidden in the categories and no longer appear as a future choice, but I DO NOT want to delete it.  Deleting it would only re-catagorize those older entries as 'uncategorized.'  I do not want a ton of uncategorized entries. That would only make referencing financial history a big mess.  

I was thinking there could be an ''Active/Inactive' check box' as part of 'Categories > Edit'.  Or there could be a toggling 'Active/Inactive' selection as part of 'Categories > Settings'.

How possible is this?imageimage

I have a few old categories like that. It's inelegant, but I just edit the category name to append [DO NOT USE], as a reminder to myself not to use it for any entries. If I had many dozens of such categories, then this could result in a cluttered category list, but I only have a few, so this works well enough for me as a work-around.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

You already have it on a Mac Quicken (perhaps WIN if that if yours). One selects from a drop down list above the register which categories to show online.However, this Quicken seems to have worked hard to muddle up the simplicity of what Intuit had achieved.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Configuration Options and Features.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I was surprised that Quicken only offers a Home and Business version for windows. I have to use the deluxe and it is way less customizable then the windows version. Hiding unused categories is a great example of this.

Theres 30 investment categories that I would like to hide or at least move into a master category with other unused categories. Im constantly closing all these arrows to hide the subcategories because they all expand if you edit any little thing.

Since there isn't a Home and Business version for mac I was planning on editing the category list in a way that my business and personal are separate but cant unless the interface is more user friendly and customizable. Its cluttered and frustrating to use.

You cant even edit the investment tab with a Z to alphabetically move it to the bottom of the list.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

I was surprised that Quicken only offers a Home and Business version for windows. I have to use the deluxe and it is way less customizable then the windows version. Hiding unused categories is a great example of this.

Theres 30 investment categories that I would like to hide or at least move into a master category with other unused categories. Im constantly closing all these arrows to hide the subcategories because they all expand if you edit any little thing.

Since there isn't a Home and Business version for mac I was planning on editing the category list in a way that my business and personal are separate but cant unless the interface is more user friendly and customizable. Its cluttered and frustrating to use.

You cant even edit the investment tab with a Z to alphabetically move it to the bottom of the list.

Though having an H&B version for Mac won't address the issues you are raising, you can add your VOTE for Home and Business (H&B) for Mac.

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

This idea will eventually be added to the List of Requests for New CapabilitiesClick on the underlined link, then click FOLLOW at the top of the page so you can be notified of any new related IDEAS to which you could add your vote when they are added. Your VOTES matter!

• bdubsposse
    bdubsposse Member ✭✭
    I would like to be able to hide categories vs delete them from the category list. I have data that goes back 3-5years and these categories are good for reporting purposes but clutter up the category screen currently. This functionality already exists in the Windows version but not the Mac version for some reason.
  • Perry
    Perry Member ✭✭
    VERY disappointing that something this big is available on Windows but not on the Mac SUBSCRIPTION version.