Portfolio view, Group By: Industry - has no industry types listed anymore, only "unknown" and "cash"

Rick8
Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Portfolio view, Group By: Industry - has no industry types listed anymore, only "unknown" and "cash".  Using Quicken 2017 Premier, Windows 10 x64 (current with all patches and updates).  This view used to have all the different industries at the left in bold, i.e Banks, Drugs, Oil Producers, etc.  Can we get this fixed please?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I am see the same behavior - also QW2017 R15.13.  The Industry breakdown is evident, but the names of the applicable industries have disappeared.  This is still true after the end-of-day price/data updates on 4/13/18.  See below with selected "industries" expanded to show some securities in that industry.  

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello Rick,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Community!

I'm currently researching this issue but was able to confirm in Quicken 2015, 2016, 2017 & the newest release for 2018, the portfolio view, when grouped by industry shows "Unknown" and "Cash" with no industry types listed.

Do you happen to remember when you last saw the industry type listed in Quicken and what version it was in?

Any additional details you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated and helpful in looking into this further.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited April 2018
    q.lurker said:

I am see the same behavior - also QW2017 R15.13.  The Industry breakdown is evident, but the names of the applicable industries have disappeared.  This is still true after the end-of-day price/data updates on 4/13/18.  See below with selected "industries" expanded to show some securities in that industry.  

Hi q.lurker,

I'm also seeing the same behavior in my version of Quicken and confirmed the same behavior in all currently supported versions, 2015, '16, '17 and the newest release for 2018.  I'm investigating this further but do you happen to remember the last version where group by industry in the portfolio view listed the actual industries instead of Unknown and Cash?

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Sarah,

Note that most mutual funds, since they are diversified, have always been listed as "Unknown" when grouped by Industry. It is the individual stocks that are assigned to an industry and these are still being grouped but the group headers are not displayed.

Interestingly, in QWin 2018 R7.5 if you include the Industry/Category column in the portfolio views, the correct industry is still shown next to each stock.

I don't often use the Group by Industry feature, but I think this started failing quite recently.

I opened my old copy of QWin 2017 R15 where the last download was 11/17/17 and Group by Industry shows headings for individual stocks. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Sarah,

Note that most mutual funds, since they are diversified, have always been listed as "Unknown" when grouped by Industry. It is the individual stocks that are assigned to an industry and these are still being grouped but the group headers are not displayed.

Interestingly, in QWin 2018 R7.5 if you include the Industry/Category column in the portfolio views, the correct industry is still shown next to each stock.

I don't often use the Group by Industry feature, but I think this started failing quite recently.

I opened my old copy of QWin 2017 R15 where the last download was 11/17/17 and Group by Industry shows headings for individual stocks. 

Good observation, but something is still amiss.  Looking at my previous snip, Adtelem, Church & Dwight, and Coca-cola are all three different Industry/Categories but they have been grouped together in the same unidentified Industry grouping. 

(I don't make much use of Industry features either.)
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited April 2018

Sarah,

Hi Jim,

Thank you for that information and confirming the Group by Industry does show headings for individual stocks in your old copy of QWin 2017.  Do you perhaps have a screenshot of it that you could upload for me?

Thanks,

Sarah
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hello Rick,

I'm currently researching this issue but was able to confirm in Quicken 2015, 2016, 2017 & the newest release for 2018, the portfolio view, when grouped by industry shows "Unknown" and "Cash" with no industry types listed.

Do you happen to remember when you last saw the industry type listed in Quicken and what version it was in?

Any additional details you are able to provide would be greatly appreciated and helpful in looking into this further.

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,
    I do not remember exactly but it was probably about 6 months ago as I adjust my portfolio holdings about every 6 months.  I use this to make sure my diversification is within the percentage wanted for the various industry groups. 

By the way, this portfolio view (industry groups) is also not showing the "Market Value % Total" (if this column is used in the view) for each industry group in the portfolio. It shows only the % for each investment but the total is shown only as a red zero at the top of each industry group.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Sarah,

Here is a screenshot. This is QWin 2017 R15, last OSU was 11/17/17. You can see the headings Diversified machinery, Electric Utilities, etc.

Also to Rick's point above, it would certainly be nice if the total market value percentage in each industry was rolled up in the Market Value % column. For example in the screenshot, Independent Oil & Gas should be 2.06%, not zero. Apparently this was not working even back in November. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited April 2018

Sarah,

Here is a screenshot. This is QWin 2017 R15, last OSU was 11/17/17. You can see the headings Diversified machinery, Electric Utilities, etc.

Also to Rick's point above, it would certainly be nice if the total market value percentage in each industry was rolled up in the Market Value % column. For example in the screenshot, Independent Oil & Gas should be 2.06%, not zero. Apparently this was not working even back in November. 

Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for the screenshot.  I appreciate it!  :)

Sarah
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited July 2018
    Hello Everyone,

I have opened a ticket with Development to have this issue investigated further and also included the Market Value percentage amounts not being rolled into the Market Value % column in the ticket to ensure that is looked at as well.

Once I receive an update on the ticket I'll be back to share.

Thank you all for the detailed information and screenshots of this issue, it's greatly appreciated!

Sarah
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hello Rick,

Thank you,

Sarah

imageimage
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hello Rick,

Thank you,

Sarah

• Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hello Rick,

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Sara,
    Here is a screenshot to explain this better.
  • Quicken Sarah
    edited April 2018

Hello Rick,

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for the screenshot, I've added it to the ticket I opened with Development and hope to receive an update on this issue soon.

Thanks again,

Sarah
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    q.lurker said:

I just opened up my test file.  I displays By Industry OK

That would seem to indicate a data file issue and possibly recently downloaded data to the file.  My test file has no brokerage connections and it appears on first glance that the most recent quotes download was 4/11/2018. I'll check further on that if I can.  The other consideration might be that there are few securities in the test file (<50) and lots in my real file (>1000).

My main file is still misbehaving in this regard.  

Edit:  In test file, most securities not updates since 1/5/18, one MF on 4/11/18, one other in February.  MF on 4/11 may have been a Download historical quotes for the one security (not positive about that).
  • TMac
    TMac Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm seeing a possibly related issue or symptom. I've got Premier 2015 R17.1. In the Account Overview - holdings view for an investment account, I frequently use the "Historic Performance" option to compare securities' performance to Industry/Category performance over 1,3 & 5 year periods. Screenshot below shows erratic results I've seen recently in this window.
      - Industry/categories still there for each security (except certain ones that never had any)
      - Industry/category performance data missing for equities, but present for mutual funds

Seems more like a downloaded data/quotes problem than a software issue. I've only recently begun to see this problem. The last time I'm certain this problem did not exist was 3/20/18.  Think I used this view successfully without the problem even more recently - just not confident of an exact date since 3/20.

Quicken user since 1991 - Premier Subscription, Windows 7
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Historic performance percentage for Industry/Category is blank.

When reviewing the 'Account Overview' under 'Holdings' for stock investments using the 'Historic performance'  display, the 'Industry/Category' is showing a blank percentage [--%] for 1-Year, 3-Year and 5-Year. The 'Industry/Category' that the stock is associated with has a proper entry for the particular stock investment. The 'Avg. Annual Return (%)' for all years is properly showing.

Here is an example of what is being displayed:
      Avg. Annual Return (%) 1-Year =>   5.40
      Industry/Category 1-Year =>               --%
      Avg. Annual Return (%) 3-Year =>   5.78
      Industry/Category 3-Year =>               --%
      Avg. Annual Return(%) 5-Year =>     3.71
      Industry/Category 5-Year =>               --%
      Industry/Category =>               Beverages - Soft Drinks

The 'Historic performance' display had been properly showing the 'Industry/Category' percentages. This display seems to have stopped working in the last few months.

Any idea were to look to bring back the 'Industry/Category' percentages ?

Product   : Quicken - Home, Business & Rental Property
    Year        :  2018
    Version   :  R7.5
    Build       :  27.1.7.5

Windows 10 Pro
    Version    1709
    OS Build  16299.371
    System type 64-bit
  • TMac
    TMac Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    TMac said:

I'm seeing a possibly related issue or symptom. I've got Premier 2015 R17.1. In the Account Overview - holdings view for an investment account, I frequently use the "Historic Performance" option to compare securities' performance to Industry/Category performance over 1,3 & 5 year periods. Screenshot below shows erratic results I've seen recently in this window.
      - Industry/categories still there for each security (except certain ones that never had any)
      - Industry/category performance data missing for equities, but present for mutual funds

Seems more like a downloaded data/quotes problem than a software issue. I've only recently begun to see this problem. The last time I'm certain this problem did not exist was 3/20/18.  Think I used this view successfully without the problem even more recently - just not confident of an exact date since 3/20.

Just an update - I've since updated to QW Premier 2018 (currently on r11.18). This issue still persists. However, I'd guess it's relatively low on the priority list compared to some of the other issues with 2018...
    Quicken user since 1991 - Premier Subscription, Windows 7
  • Rick8
    Rick8 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    TMac said:

This is a great tool that I have used extensively to balance my portfolio holdings.  Since it takes the specific investments in mutual funds, the totals (that used to be shown) by industry, sector, size, etc. are very accurate.  These cannot be aggregated otherwise without a tremendous amount of work at Morningstar and with a spreadsheet.   It is unfortunate that Quicken does not care about keeping these great tools working and just gives rhetoric like "working on it"  for months, without any real update or fixes.  Some of the things they have been "working on" or "reported" have been going on for over 2 years.  REALLY.

This discussion has been closed.