matching transfer does not update

StuStu Member
edited October 2018 in
H&B 2015 R 3(24.1.3.6) Canadian Version 

So, I have a liability and an asset (Checking account).  I pay the liability from the checking account so I create an entry in the checking account and put the liability account as the category.  What I get is a reduction in the checking account and an entry in the Liability account but there are no dollars on the detail line and the liability is not reduced.  They are still linked but somehow the amount does not come through.  I seem to remember seeing that there was a flag or something I could check to have the dollars come through but a search of the user community threads does not provide an answer.  Can anyone help?

Comments

• Stu FowlerStu Fowler Member
    edited April 2018
    So, here's some detail:

First, here's my Liability account:

Here's the checking entry:

You can see that the checking entry has logged (as the amount has diminished).

Lastly, here's what the Liability account has done:

You see an entry has been made but the amount did not come across and the register was not updated.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Stu,

If the amount is coming out of the checking account it should be listed as a payment, that transaction shows as a deposit.

I would try making that transaction into a payment and see if the transfer looks correct.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • StuStu Member
    edited April 2018
    Actually, it is a payment; what you're seeing in the snippet I've attached is the word deposit but it's for the column to the right of the amount showing in the payment column.  If I were showing a deposit, you would see the work 'payment' in the column to the left of the amount in the payment column.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Does every transfer between these 2 accounts show this way?

Do transfers between other accounts work as they should?

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • StuStu Member
    edited October 2018
    To be honest, I've lost all confidence in the application (because it never seems to work) that I mostly just create two transactions; one in each account).  However, I created a test transaction and find that some combinations work but most of them don't.  

There seems to be no clear pattern; sometimes other liabilities work, sometimes they don't; sometimes an asset account works, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes they are accounts I've had for a long time, sometimes they're more recent ones.

I seem to recall seeing a thread a few months ago that there was a flag or something that would correct the problem but I can't seem to find anything like that now.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Stu said:

To be honest, I've lost all confidence in the application (because it never seems to work) that I mostly just create two transactions; one in each account).  However, I created a test transaction and find that some combinations work but most of them don't.  

There seems to be no clear pattern; sometimes other liabilities work, sometimes they don't; sometimes an asset account works, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes they are accounts I've had for a long time, sometimes they're more recent ones.

I seem to recall seeing a thread a few months ago that there was a flag or something that would correct the problem but I can't seem to find anything like that now.

Stu I think if you go to Preferences>Transfer Detection that might be what you're thinking of.  I'm not sure this will fix your issue as I have Quicken Deluxe 2017, and I'm seeing the same problem more often then not.  The only thing I do is a workaround using Web Connect to download the missing transaction, then go back in to Deactivate the account, then set it up again.  I've had to do this MANY times the last year with bank transactions that Quicken doesn't find for me. Hope this helps!
  • StuStu Member
    edited April 2018
    Stu said:

Deactivate the account, then set it up again? What does that do to all the transactions you've already got listed?  I hope this wasn't what I was referring to!
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Stu said:

If you have Preferences>Transfer Detection checked, Quicken should see an "in" and an "out" of lets say $25 during your Download Updates. You'll get a pop up asking if they are supposed to be the same transfer transaction, and you answer yes. One of my frustrations is that for some reason Quicken doesn't see or find both the in and out of $25.  That's when I have go through the Deactivate / Set Up Now scenario.