Editing "Posting Date" Doesn't Work

napochan
napochan Member ✭✭
I read several threads on this topic but wanted to register that editing the Posting Date from the downloaded transaction, using the Copy Transaction/CTRL key combo, does not actually change the date.  It does display the posting date and it appears you can change it, but the newly selected date does not replace what was originally downloaded from the bank.

This worked for me in previous Quicken versions so not sure if others are having the same issue with version 2018.  My temporary solution was to delete the downloaded transaction and reenter the information manually.  This is not ideal, I know, but it was an expedient solution to allow me to reconcile my statement.

Would appreciate any proper solution(s) you may be able to share.

Using Quicken Home & Business 2018, version R7.5, build 27.1.7.5  on Windows 10.

Cheers!
... Tom

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You've never been able to edit/change the "Downloaded Posting Date" in Q.

You CAN change the transaction date ... that's listed under the DATE column header.  Simply select it and change it to anything that you want.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

You CAN change the transaction date ... that's listed under the DATE column header.  Simply select it and change it to anything that you want.

Sorry to correct you, but you can edit the Posting Date.  Right-click on a transaction, then do CTRL+Copy Transaction.

The issue here is that Quicken stores a Posting Date and a Downloaded Posting Date

The Posting date shown above is not the one that can be displayed in the register even though they refer to it as "Downloaded".

The Posting Date that can be displayed in the register is the Downloaded Posting Date and it is NOT editable.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

The only way to “edit” the Downloaded Posting Date is to download the transaction again. To do so, you’ll have to spoof either or both the transaction ID or DTSTART. It ain’t easy, but it can be done.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I guess the real question is why are you changing the Posting Date?  What are you doing that requires you to do that?

Maybe there is a different way to achieve the same result.

• napochan
    napochan Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Thanks everyone for your explanations. It doesn't seem acceptable to require super user knowledge to handle the situation so hopefully it will be addressed in a near future update.  While this hasn't happened often to me, there should be a straight-forward correction when it does. 

For the time being, I'll resort to manually reentering the transaction. Typically the transaction is an interest receipt, so it isn't too difficult to recreate.
    ... Tom
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I'll ask the question again. 

Why do you feel you need to change the posting date?

• napochan
    napochan Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Sorry, I missed your original question.  The only reason I have to modify the posting date is occasionally a downloaded transaction will have a posting date later than the bank statement closing date.   When that happens the reconcile process doesn't include the transaction and is off by that amount.
    ... Tom
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Then I would change the closing date when doing the reconciliation, it is only used to decide which transactions will be displayed.

• napochan
    napochan Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I'll give it a try.  As long as it doesn't pick up cleared items with the +1 date that are not included in the statement, it should work.  Otherwise, manual entry can be a fall back.  Thanks again.
    ... Tom
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Even if it does pick a few extra transactions, it is easy enough to uncheck them to complete the reconcile.

Just do a backup of your data file right before starting the reconcile, that way if you don't like the results, you can always restore the backup and be right back to where you were before you started.

• Rich S
    Rich S Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I guess the real question is why are you changing the Posting Date?  What are you doing that requires you to do that?

Maybe there is a different way to achieve the same result.

Because the posting date is wrong and it is not showing up  in the proper month for the reconciliation!  How it got to be wrong is probably a result of Q finding another transaction which it thought "matched" and was being "helpful" to me in trying to match the transaction but it screwed up, and it was not the correct match. This happens multiple times per year for me. Perhaps there is a way to turn off the "helpful" matching of downloaded transactions that Quicken provides.  And yes, the process to change the posting date used to work a few releases ago. 
This discussion has been closed.