Investmenttransaction report gives incorrect Amount invested

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am having an issue with the Amount Invested and Cash fields in the Investment Transaction report. I sold a stock price=59.020988, shares=172, commission=167.54. This should result in a price of $9,984.07 (59.020988 x 172) - 167. 54. Yet the report indicates an Amount Invested and cash of 9,986.92. The transaction register has the correct total of $9.984.07. Any idea why the report doesn't agree?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Enter number of shares, commission and total amount received.
    Let Quicken calculate the (rounded) price per share.

Any other way and you'll get rounding errors in the total amount.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    I am not understanding your reply. This is a report I run. The data is taken from quicken and I have no direct input with the data. The data in the transaction register is correct, but the report is not.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have always found that report to be a little head-scratching at time, especially for sales.  The report is trying to tell you what your basis was for the sold shares and what your realized gain was on the transaction.  Those two should add to the proceeds of the sale - your $9,984.07.  So my question back to you becomes -- Which value is off in the report - the basis line, or the realized gain/loss line?

Generally speaking, I would rather examine the Cap gains report for basis and gain/loss information.  Do those numbers appear accurate?

Finally, I think one consideration that may throw off the report you are looking at are Return of Capital transactions.  Does this security have any RtrnCap transactions in its history?  Are they of a small value such that your discrepancy of $2.85 might be explained?  

Are you selling the entire holding, or only part of the current holding in this account?  Are you relying on Quicken's default FIFO lot selection, specifying your own selection of lots, or using average cost basis?  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I was interested in the net cash I received for the sale. In this report. It is the cash and amount invested columns that seem to be off. With a sale they appear to be the same number. For clarification this report is produced by selecting reports -> Investing -> Investment Transactions
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

I was interested in the net cash I received for the sale. In this report. It is the cash and amount invested columns that seem to be off. With a sale they appear to be the same number. For clarification this report is produced by selecting reports -> Investing -> Investment Transactions

See this snip from that report:

I sold 20 shares for 77.504 = 1550.08.  I paid a 0.84 commission netting me 1549.24 in cash.  766.40 of that cash was the basis or amount I had invested to begin with.  782.84 was the 'profit' or realized gain.  Those two values from the cash column make up the net proceeds.  The Amount Invested column is showing that amount being deducted for the sale line, no change for the realized gain line.  Adding across, Cash + Investment yielded no change for the sale line and +782.84 for the gain line.  

Now, do those sort of numbers hold true for your sale?  If not, which numbers are off?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    My question is why in your case doesn't the Cash column = 1549.24 instead of 766.40? In your case and in my case the Cash and the Amount Invested columns are the same amount except that one is negative and one is positive. I would have thought the Cash column represented the net cash received from the sale. I have no idea what the Cash column represents. In my case that number does not match the Cost basis for the stock. For example for one stock I sold:

Price = 47.46 (actually 47.46439)
    Shares = 123
    Commission = 107.12
    Cash= 5260.17
    Amount Invested = -5260.17

The cost basis for the stock is 5,287.68. The Net Cash is 5,731 ((47.46439 x 123) - 107.12) I don't understand how the Cash and Amount Invested columns are calculated.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

My question is why in your case doesn't the Cash column = 1549.24 instead of 766.40? In your case and in my case the Cash and the Amount Invested columns are the same amount except that one is negative and one is positive. I would have thought the Cash column represented the net cash received from the sale. I have no idea what the Cash column represents. In my case that number does not match the Cost basis for the stock. For example for one stock I sold:

Price = 47.46 (actually 47.46439)
    Shares = 123
    Commission = 107.12
    Cash= 5260.17
    Amount Invested = -5260.17

The cost basis for the stock is 5,287.68. The Net Cash is 5,731 ((47.46439 x 123) - 107.12) I don't understand how the Cash and Amount Invested columns are calculated.

My question is why in your case doesn't the Cash column = 1549.24 instead of 766.40?
    Because the report is breaking down the cash received into two parts - the cash that was initially used to make the purchase and the cash that was the realized gain upon sale of the shares.  The full sale transaction is represented by the two lines in the report, not just the first line.  

If you look at a Buy Shares transaction in the report, you'll see parallel behavior - A negative in the Cash column and a positive in the Amount Invested column.  When you buy shares, the cash is decreased, the amount invested is increased.  Upon sale, cash is increased and amount invested is decreased.  But rather than put that sale info in one line, they (for some reason) choose to break it into two.   
    In my case that number does not match the Cost basis for the stock. 
    For that case, that specific sale, what does Quicken show in the capital gains report?

You are saying the cost basis is .. 5,287.68
    Quicken is apparently saying it is  5,260.17 -- a difference of 27.68.  

You are saying Quicken is showing you the equal and opposite 5260.17 values on the first line of the sale info in the Investment transactions report.  Based on the $5,731 net sale value you cited I would expect the report to show 470.83 (= 5731.00 - 5260.17) on the realized gain line.  Does it?  

(As a note: I do not disagree with your assessment that the Investment Transactions report would be better by displaying the total of the transaction.  This whole conversation is one reason I find that report unhelpful.  So I am really trying to help you understand what you do see, not justify their presentation.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    lurker,
    Thanks for taking the time to look at this. The capital gains report indicates that cost basis is 5,287.68. This agrees with the broker's statement.You are correct that the realized gain is 470.83. 

I appreciate your diligence in looking at this question. My curiosity has been satisfied.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

lurker,
    Thanks for taking the time to look at this. The capital gains report indicates that cost basis is 5,287.68. This agrees with the broker's statement.You are correct that the realized gain is 470.83. 

I appreciate your diligence in looking at this question. My curiosity has been satisfied.

Since with respect to the Amount Invested (Inv Transaction report) vs Cost Basis (Cap Gains Report), there appears to be a 27.68 difference, would you indulge me one more question:  For that security only, are there one or more RtrnCap transactions in its history?  I suspect that type of transaction may be the culprit creating the difference. 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

What is the total amount you paid for the 172 shares when you bought them?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Hopefully I can clear up some confusion here.

I sold a number of different stocks on 4/17 About halfway through the thread i switched stocks from the stock in the original question to another stock that Lurker an I have been going back and forth on.

For this particular stock Lurker and I have been discussing I originally purchased it on 8/3/2016:
    Shares = 117
    Price = 41.566325
    Commission = 114.37
    Amount invested = $4,977.63

Since that time a number of dividend reinvestments took place.  

When I sold (actually liquidated) the stock on 4/17 the sale took place in two parts. For part 1 123 shares were sold on 4/17. Part 2 was a fractional liquidation of .563350 shares which took place on 4/19, two days later..

Lurker and I were trying to reconcile the line on the Investment Transaction report for the first line. To Lurkers last question the difference between the Cost Basis on the Cost Basis report ($5,287.68) and the amount invested on the Investment Transaction Report ($5,260.17) is $27.51. 

If you take the Cash column in the Investment Transaction report for the fractional sale ($27.51) and add the realized gain on the second line (-.78) you get the actual cash received for the fractional  sale which was $26.73

This seems to be the case for all stock sales on the report. The cash amount on the first line of the report + the Cash number for the realized gain equals the total cash received for the sale

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Hopefully I can clear up some confusion here.

I sold a number of different stocks on 4/17 About halfway through the thread i switched stocks from the stock in the original question to another stock that Lurker an I have been going back and forth on.

For this particular stock Lurker and I have been discussing I originally purchased it on 8/3/2016:
    Shares = 117
    Price = 41.566325
    Commission = 114.37
    Amount invested = $4,977.63

Since that time a number of dividend reinvestments took place.  

When I sold (actually liquidated) the stock on 4/17 the sale took place in two parts. For part 1 123 shares were sold on 4/17. Part 2 was a fractional liquidation of .563350 shares which took place on 4/19, two days later..

Lurker and I were trying to reconcile the line on the Investment Transaction report for the first line. To Lurkers last question the difference between the Cost Basis on the Cost Basis report ($5,287.68) and the amount invested on the Investment Transaction Report ($5,260.17) is $27.51. 

If you take the Cash column in the Investment Transaction report for the fractional sale ($27.51) and add the realized gain on the second line (-.78) you get the actual cash received for the fractional  sale which was $26.73

This seems to be the case for all stock sales on the report. The cash amount on the first line of the report + the Cash number for the realized gain equals the total cash received for the sale

So if I am understand you, the cost basis & amount invested for the 123 share sale was the same between the two reports and likewise for the fractional sale.  There is no longer an unaccounted discrepancy between the two.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    correct.
This discussion has been closed.