How to get make a Deactivate/Set Up Account process a little less painful

TJTJ Member ✭✭
edited January 11 in
A frustration of mine is have to Deactivate an account, then Set it up again in order to continue using One Step Update again. I've had to do it many times and have a process to make it a little easier.

First, be sure you have Reconciled all the line entries in the account and there's an "R" in the Clr (Clear) column for "ALL" transactions in that account you are going to Rectivate and or something in the Reference#/Check number account. THIS IS IMPORTANT! You can check by doing a sort in the Clr column from bottom up then sort bottom down and check at the end of the column after doing that to be sure there are no stragglers that aren't "R""d out. The other thing i do and or use, is be sure you have something in the "Reference" or the "Check#" column for each and every line transaction in that account.

Now you will do the Set Up Account in Accounts List screen. Aon top if you sort the transactionss quicken goes through the process a lot of transactions will be listed under your register (my CU does 90 days worth) and asks you if you want to "accept" the transactions.  Tell it to Accept All, then you will see your Account register with a lot of new line entries that will be duplicates to ones already in there.  You will note that the duplicate entries with be BOLD and will not have anthing in the Reference/Check# column or the Clr column.

Here's where what we did above regarding the Reference/ Check# column and the Clr column come in.  You will note that all the new transactions will be in bold print and that they will not have anything in the Check#/ Reference column or Clr column. Now you can sort either of those columns to bring all the bold transactions to the top or bottom of you register depending on if you sort top to bottom or bottom to top. Now it needs to be said that if you are going through this process because of missing transactions you need to be " SURE" that all the newly downloaded transactions are Duplicates, this is easiest done before you sort them. If you find any of the new transactions are not duplicates (this is why you went through this process is to find missing transaction in your register) then take those entries and put an "R" in Reconciled column and or something in the Check#/Reference Column and save those changes for each line. Now that you have all the line items that you know for sure are duplicates, Select the first of those line entries, then go to last of the entries in that group and select Shift enter for the last line. Now you have all the duplicate line entries highlighted. Then you can right mouse click to delete all those entries in one swift swoop. Now if you did everything right, the ending Account balance and the Ending balance should be the same or "Balanced". if they are not, you either deleted a line item that was not duplicated, or forgot to delete on that was. Once you get this down with practice you can save hours not deleting line items that are duplicated one at a time.  If your Online Balance and do not balance after going through that...then go do another Deactivate/Set Up account and go through the same process again until all the t's are crossed and i's dotted! I've gotten good at that too because my first name is Tim! The more you understand it amd practice it the easier it will get. Sorting IS a great tool!

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I can't remember the last time I had to deactivate and deactivate. Maybe 8 or 10 years ago? All of my financial institutions that I download from are either direct connect or web connect. All are super reliable.

What financial institution and download connection method are you using?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    MS-My Credit Union is Premier Members Credit Union, with Express Web Connect. They do not have Direct Connect, and Web connect works fine...just cumbersome  I do Deactivate/Activate no less than 3-4 times a week and have for about the last year I've got it down to a science!  I just have random transactions that are missing when I do an update. A lot of them are one end of a transfer. If I pay my Visa bill in a transfer, the Visa Quicken update account shows it was paid, but what came out of my checking for the transfer never comes through, so it's Deactivate/Reactivate time. That's all I can do to Reconcile my Online balance with my Ending balance, and thought it was a common problem with Quicken with all the problems and issues happening.  My wife is fit to be tied and it's tense around here because I'm on quicken about 15 hours a week trying to keep it updated and everything balanced and reconciled but she wants nothing to do with the finances. This all started after Quicken left Intuit. I've been using Quicken for 15 years and it's just been the last year that's been eating me up...to a point that is one thing that has sent us to marriage counseling!!! I'm 70 years old and retired otherwise I wouldn't have time for Quicken!  Any ideas you can suggest I'd appreciate. I've talked to Shena who works with Quicken at my credit union, but it all falls on deaf ears. Recently sent her a message over a week ago and still haven't heard back. I've been with the credit union for 50 years. Tried another CU last year and it was a train wreck. CU been good to me though, I haven't paid them a penny in fees for 30 years, and use auto bill pay through my providers! All quick and simple, with lots of points for using Visa and managing well with never a Visa balance! I just assumed problems were part of the problems they are having, been waiting and hoping they get it cleaned up! Plz delete this after reading...Thanks
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Or you could use Update Now from the account register.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 11
    That's the problem....Update Now is missing transactions that are in my CU acct, thus reactivate ...thus Online balance doesn't Balance with Ending balance. Then it doesn't matter how many times I use update now...Quicken is not seeing all my transactions.
    edited April 2018
    TJ said:

That's the problem....Update Now is missing transactions that are in my CU acct, thus reactivate ...thus Online balance doesn't Balance with Ending balance. Then it doesn't matter how many times I use update now...Quicken is not seeing all my transactions.

Then that is an issue that can only be resolved by the Quicken scripts team. You need to contact support. Deactivate/re-activate is a Band-Aid that will continue to download the last 90 days of transactions but it is not a fix. Are you sure you are using "Update Now" from the gear icon in the account register? Sounds more like you are using multiple OSU steps that won't help.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    TJ said:

Yes, been doing the same thing the same way with quicken for 15 years and this whole issue started a year or so ago. I've tried Update Now from all 4 ways that Quicken provides to "Update Now" from in the Register in Quicken 2017.  I've talked to support, but what they do is help me with is a work around to get my register correct, not fix the issue. I've reloaded Quicken MANY times and even reset Windows many times, finally conceded this is the way Quicken runs. I'll try support again to see if they can help with a fix. Its just that I've done a Deactivate sooo many time now that I can reactivate sooner than the hold time to support. 90% of the time I don't get very much help from support. If I didn't have 22.666 transactions in Quicken, I'd give it up.
    edited April 2018
    TJ said:

My main bank BMO Harris offers both an EWC and Web Connect download. Like at your CU, EWC has been unreliable so long ago I switched to Web Connect. I have BMO set up in Quicken for web connect. My browser automatically launches from within Quicken using Update Now in the BMO checking register. The ID and passwords are stored in the browser so all of my accounts at BMO are downloaded into Quicken with about 4 clicks and I never get an error. Often I need to be on the bank website anyway to find a payee name for a transaction or to pay a bill so it has just become part of the process. I launch Quicken, do the web connect stuff and online banking in the browser, then launch OSU for my other accounts, most of which are direct connect. You might try it.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    TJ said:

Thanks Markus,I'll probably have to start using Web Connect, I'm just disappointed that it worked SO well for years, now completely unreliable. Out of nowhere there will be one transaction missing. I suspect since the CU is trying to get people to use their own financial program that they are not putting a lot of effort into Quicken...too bad. I wish I was savvy enough to start a Quicken forum for CU acct holders, as I'd like to see what all others are experiencing. The other reason I didn't want to just do Web Connect is because I have 13 accounts in 4 different institutions, and it's just a lot more convenient to be able to update all of them at once. Another issue I recently noticed is when doing a reactivate and I'm in the account list screen where you have to link the account, I'm getting in the second column...all accounts listed as "Checking", when out of 13 accounts only 2 are checking. Would that designation come from Quicken or CU?
    edited April 2018
    TJ said:

That designation is supposed to come from the CU, but in some EWC connections, Quicken is guessing at the information it is scraping from the website, so Quicken is guessing wrong. Also there is no standard for designating loans, HELOC's and CD's so those types of accounts can be problematic.

I only use web connect for the bank that gives me a problem, I use One Step Update for the rest.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    TJ said:

Thanks for all your help. You've been patient, informative, responsive, and thorough...I say markus1957 for CEO!
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    TJ said:

HELOC's work great in Q ... as long as you set them up as a HELOC ... which works like a credit card.

It's works like a credit card in that you can make irregular payments to it, and take additional draws.  Unlike a regular loan where your payments are regularly scheduled, for a predetermined amount and you can't take add'l draws.

I've had 3 HELOC accounts in Q (one after another) and NEVER had any problem with them.

CD's also work well as long as you set them up as a Security, in an investment account ... and not as their own "account".
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"