Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6.x Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
We’re excited to be releasing Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6 today.  We continue working on refining the features we have instead of adding new features.  There are 4 main areas of improvement 1) Performance, 2) Reports, 3) Investments 4) Bills & Income and some general fixes.  If you find issues in this release, please post the issue as a new comment in this forum post.  We'll be actively monitoring this post for issues.

Performance
We’ve been focused on performance improvements throughout the product.  

First, we looked at launch times.  Quicken would take a while to launch if you had a file with lots of historical investment data.  You should see an improvement from 30% to 50%.  As part of this, we will also start to just download quotes for the securities you hold and not every security you’ve ever held.  

Second, we looked at investments.  Again, if you have a lot of investment data, loading investments would take a long time as Quicken tried to create the chart.  Most will see some improvement here but it’s still not where we would like it to be but it should be faster in loading and in switching to other portfolio views. If investments continue to be slow for you, we recommend hiding the chart by dragging up from the bottom of the chart to hide it.

Reports
One of the major changes we did was to make a seemingly subtle change in the Customize Report dialog to have 2 basic options for Account, Category, Tag and Payee items.  In 5.6, you will choose to include any account, category, tag or payee or to only include the ones you select.  Before it was tough to know whether you were including all transactions under a specific area or just the selected ones if all of them were selected. We also made other improvements in reports like displaying the data range and filter settings in the new reports. Also, foreign characters and emoji should export properly now which was an issue someone brought up here in the 5.5.x forum post.

Investments
In investments, the portfolio view can now be printed and exported.  This was a big request here in the forums.  If you decide to print, consider using scaling to fit everything on a page or use Excel to get it looking exactly like you want to print it. You can now expand and collapse all securities in the portfolio view and all of this is remembered between different sessions.  The number of shares can display more than 3 decimal places and the Y-Axis always starts at zero. This was a request from our CEO.

Bills & Income
We also continue to improve the Bills & Income view.  First off, you can now search for an eBill vs picking a payee first.  This should simplify the process.  You can add a payee from the Payee view and we made it easier to add Payees to the Bills & Income view by adding a column to the Payee List window.

General Fixes
Finally, we improved the way transaction downloads work.  Previously, Direct Connect accounts would block you from doing anything else while they were downloading transactions.  Now, this happens in the background.

Updates
5/9 - Starting the rollout of 5.6.
5/9 - As we always do, stopped the rollout for tonight so we can assess how things are going in the morning and wait for the Care team to be available.  Please post any issues you run into as a comment to this forum post.
5/18 - We're releasing 5.6.1 as a staged release.  Here are the release notes:
  • FIXED - Fixed a report customization issue where all payees including hidden payees would appear in a report if no payees were selected. In 5.6, this setting was converted to use the new Any Payee feature, but it inadvertently excluded hidden payees. We're fixing this in 5.6.1 so that hidden payees will be included by default. Please review the Include hidden payees checkbox to see if it is set properly for your reports. A big thanks to Najmi for their help in figuring out this issue. 
  • FIXED - Fixed a similar report customization issue for Accounts. Previously, if all accounts were selected then all accounts including hidden accounts were included. In 5.6, this setting was converted to use the new Any Account feature, but it did not include hidden accounts which meant the same report would have different results. In 5.6.1 when these reports are converted, they will include hidden accounts by default. Please review the Include accounts hidden in reports checkbox to see if it is set properly for your reports.
  • FIXED - In 5.5, we mistakenly allowed one to assign a Quicken-reserved investment category to a transaction which shouldn't have been possible. In 5.6.x, these categories were hidden so they could no longer be selected but this also meant that any transaction that used one of these special categories became Uncategorized. In 5.6.1, we're improving this behavior so that if one of these categories was used, we'll automatically create a new, user-defined category with the same name, but these will now be under a new parent category called Investments (Custom). If the transaction was used in an investment account, we'll first try to convert it to use the corresponding "Action" such as Buy or Sell, etc.
  • FIXED - Fixed a crash that could occur when clicking through menus while other windows were open such as the Account Status window.
  • FIXED - Fixed a crash that could happen when customizing report settings.
  • CHANGED - In 5.6, we changed the Y-Axis in the portfolio view chart to start at 0 to be more accurate to the actual account market fluctuations. However, a number of customers stated they liked the old design better because it was easy to see the changes in the account. We decided to go back to the previous design for now until we can make this a user-defined option in a future release.
5/21 - 5.6.1 is available for everyone.  We don't anticipate rolling this back.
5/31 - I'm closing this thread down.  If you are seeing issues in 5.6.x, please now go to our 5.6.2 forum post.  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-6-2-released.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    And here are the detailed release notes:

Improved application performance

In 5.6, we focused on improving app performance. Customers with years and years of investment transactions were the most impacted so we zeroed our efforts around investments, but everyone should benefit.

• NEW Drastically improved launch times for customers with lots of investment history. A lot of the slowness was downloading and storing quotes which has been significantly optimized.
    • NEW As part of this performance improvement, Quicken will now only download quotes for held securities, ignoring securities that are no longer owned. In the Securities list, we added a column, so you can see which securities are held. If you want to manage this yourself, you can turn this feature off and then a new column appears, so you can select which securities to update.
    • NEW Switching to the investment view is significantly faster but drawing the chart can still take some time. By the way, you can hide the chart by dragging up on the bar between the chart and the portfolio table which also improves the overall performance of these views.
    • NEW Switching from the Portfolio Value view to Performance view is a lot faster now.
    • NEW Switching between different Groups in the Portfolio View now immediately update.

Improved report usability and functionality
    • NEW The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report now display date range and customization settings in the upper right corner. This information also appears in printed and exported reports.
    • NEW The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    • NEW As part of refining this experience, column selection for transaction reports has been moved to the report toolbar.
    • NEW The drill down report will now remember the columns chosen so that all future drill down reports will include the same columns.
    • FIXED The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report will now export foreign and other special characters to the CSV file.

Continued refinement of investment portfolio view
    • NEW The portfolio view can now be printed, exported to a CSV file, or copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.
    • NEW The portfolio view now remembers which securities have been expanded and collapsed.
    • NEW Added a way to expand all or collapse all securities. CTRL-click, or right-click, the portfolio view header to get to see these options.
    • NEW Securities without a cost basis will now display an Add Cost Basis button that will bring up the dialog to cost basis information.
    • NEW The number of shares column will now display more than 3 decimal places.
    • NEW The Y-Axis now always starts at zero.
    Better eBill support in Bills & Income
    • NEW Changed the way track flow works. First, Quicken asks whether you want to add an eBill or manual bill. Second, if creating an eBill, Quicken will allow you to enter any name to search for an eBiller vs forcing you to pick an existing payee. You'll link the eBill to the payee later in the process.
    • NEW Added an Add Payee option to the Payee screen.
    • NEW Added a column to the Payees list window to more easily select which payees should appear in the Bills & Income screen.
    General improvements across the product
    • NEW Improved transaction downloads. Previously, downloading from Direct Connect accounts would block you from doing anything else. Now Direct Connect works like Quicken Connect accounts in that you can continue to use Quicken while downloading is happening in the background.
    • NEW In the register, the name of the column being sorted will display more boldly in order to make it more obvious which column is being used to sort the register.
    • NEW Also in the register, we now always display the balance regardless of the column being sorted. When not sorted by Date or CLR, the balance column will have an italicized, dark gray color to let you know the balance won't match your statement.
    • NEW Updated the Column menu in the register to allow you to more easily hide and show columns. We also added a Reset to Default menu item to get back to the default for the current account.
    • FIXED Fixed a number of bugs and stability issues.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Investments - y-axis starting at zero. I do not like it. Put it back the way it was or include an option for zero or lowest value.
  • RickO
    edited October 2018
    The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    This is a vast improvement. However, we still need in the Tags section a *No Tag* item in the list. As it is, there is no way to filter for transactions that have either one specific tag OR are untagged.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
     The portfolio view can now be printed, exported to a CSV file, or copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.
    This is a huge improvement. However, I think it would be better if the printed/exported data reflected the expanded/collapsed state of the securities (rather than always expanded, even if screen state is collapsed).
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    The number of shares column will now display more than 3 decimal places
    I'm not seeing more than 3 decimal places. Will this display only for future fractional shares of more than 3 decimal places?
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Improved transaction downloads. Previously, downloading from Direct Connectaccounts would block you from doing anything else. Now Direct Connect works likeQuicken Connect accounts in that you can continue to use Quicken while downloading is happening in the background.
    When updating Fidelity Investments (Direct Connect, 7 accounts), I get a spinning beach ball until the update finishes if I try to click anywhere else. Other FIs with multiple accounts seem to work okay (eg. TIAA).
  • RickO
    edited August 2018
    Also in the register, we now always display the balance regardless of the column being sorted. When not sorted by Date or CLR, the balance column will have an italicized,dark gray color to let you know the balance won't match your statement.
    PERFECT! Very glad you implemented the shading when not sorted by date. Thanks Marcus!
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Investments - y-axis starting at zero. I do not like it. Put it back the way it was or include an option for zero or lowest value.

I agree. It displays basically a flat line in a lot of situations due to this scaling. I'm afraid Eric got this one wrong. :-(
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    This is a vast improvement. However, we still need in the Tags section a *No Tag* item in the list. As it is, there is no way to filter for transactions that have either one specific tag OR are untagged.If I understand your question correctly I think we did add the "no tag" feature.  Basically, pick "Include Only" and then don't select any tags and all the transactions that don't have tags will appear.  This also works for Payees. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

The portfolio view can now be printed, exported to a CSV file, or copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.
    This is a huge improvement. However, I think it would be better if the printed/exported data reflected the expanded/collapsed state of the securities (rather than always expanded, even if screen state is collapsed).Interesting. We'll consider that.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

The number of shares column will now display more than 3 decimal places
    I'm not seeing more than 3 decimal places. Will this display only for future fractional shares of more than 3 decimal places?The way this should work is that we'll display up to 6 decimal places of a share amount but it will match whatever is entered.  If you have 6 decimal places then it should show 6 decimal places.  If you only have 1 decimal place it will only show 1.  We don't display trailing zeros.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Improved transaction downloads. Previously, downloading from Direct Connectaccounts would block you from doing anything else. Now Direct Connect works likeQuicken Connect accounts in that you can continue to use Quicken while downloading is happening in the background.
    When updating Fidelity Investments (Direct Connect, 7 accounts), I get a spinning beach ball until the update finishes if I try to click anywhere else. Other FIs with multiple accounts seem to work okay (eg. TIAA).When we write your transactions to the database, we block user interaction so this is why it's beach balling. My guess is that we're writing your transactions from other brokerages to the database while Fidelity is downloading or there's so much information coming down from Fidelity we needed to write to the database right away.  The length of the beach balling depends on how much data we're writing.  As part of our performance work, we discovered that writing updated quotes to the database performed poorly especially for those with lots of historical data. We thought we caught all of those places but this could be another instance of it.  Thanks for reporting it and let us know if it continues to be slow.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Also in the register, we now always display the balance regardless of the column being sorted. When not sorted by Date or CLR, the balance column will have an italicized,dark gray color to let you know the balance won't match your statement.
    PERFECT! Very glad you implemented the shading when not sorted by date. Thanks Marcus!I think a number of people in our beta suggested that they liked that the balance wasn't there because it was a sign that they weren't sorted by date. I felt strongly we shouldn't hide the balance because of all the customer's who called Care about their balance missing but it made a lot of sense to me that there still needed to be a way to know if the sort order was different than date. It's subtle but I hope it's enough of an alert.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

This is a vast improvement. However, we still need in the Tags section a *No Tag* item in the list. As it is, there is no way to filter for transactions that have either one specific tag OR are untagged.Not quite... I understand how to get all untagged transactions. What I'm asking is... say you have tags AA and BB. You want to include transactions that are untagged or have tag AA, but not BB. I don't see a way to do that.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

When updating Fidelity Investments (Direct Connect, 7 accounts), I get a spinning beach ball until the update finishes if I try to click anywhere else. Other FIs with multiple accounts seem to work okay (eg. TIAA).In my case, Fidelity was already up to date, so there shouldn't have been much data coming down. The TIAA accounts had much more data, but didn't exhibit this issue. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot.
  • Alexander Bray
    Alexander Bray Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

In 5.6, we focused on improving app performance. Customers with years and years of investment transactions were the most impacted so we zeroed our efforts around investments, but everyone should benefit.

• NEW Drastically improved launch times for customers with lots of investment history. A lot of the slowness was downloading and storing quotes which has been significantly optimized.
    • NEW As part of this performance improvement, Quicken will now only download quotes for held securities, ignoring securities that are no longer owned. In the Securities list, we added a column, so you can see which securities are held. If you want to manage this yourself, you can turn this feature off and then a new column appears, so you can select which securities to update.
    • NEW Switching to the investment view is significantly faster but drawing the chart can still take some time. By the way, you can hide the chart by dragging up on the bar between the chart and the portfolio table which also improves the overall performance of these views.
    • NEW Switching from the Portfolio Value view to Performance view is a lot faster now.
    • NEW Switching between different Groups in the Portfolio View now immediately update.

• NEW The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report now display date range and customization settings in the upper right corner. This information also appears in printed and exported reports.
    • NEW The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    • NEW As part of refining this experience, column selection for transaction reports has been moved to the report toolbar.
    • NEW The drill down report will now remember the columns chosen so that all future drill down reports will include the same columns.
    • FIXED The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report will now export foreign and other special characters to the CSV file.

• NEW The portfolio view can now be printed, exported to a CSV file, or copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.
    • NEW The portfolio view now remembers which securities have been expanded and collapsed.
    • NEW Added a way to expand all or collapse all securities. CTRL-click, or right-click, the portfolio view header to get to see these options.
    • NEW Securities without a cost basis will now display an Add Cost Basis button that will bring up the dialog to cost basis information.
    • NEW Changed the way track flow works. First, Quicken asks whether you want to add an eBill or manual bill. Second, if creating an eBill, Quicken will allow you to enter any name to search for an eBiller vs forcing you to pick an existing payee. You'll link the eBill to the payee later in the process.
    • NEW Added a column to the Payees list window to more easily select which payees should appear in the Bills & Income screen.
    • NEW Improved transaction downloads. Previously, downloading from Direct Connect accounts would block you from doing anything else. Now Direct Connect works like Quicken Connect accounts in that you can continue to use Quicken while downloading is happening in the background.
    • NEW In the register, the name of the column being sorted will display more boldly in order to make it more obvious which column is being used to sort the register.
    • NEW Also in the register, we now always display the balance regardless of the column being sorted. When not sorted by Date or CLR, the balance column will have an italicized, dark gray color to let you know the balance won't match your statement.
    • NEW Updated the Column menu in the register to allow you to more easily hide and show columns. We also added a Reset to Default menu item to get back to the default for the current account.
    Decision to always start the y-axis at zero no longer provides the dynamic range to see the changes in portfolio value—almost all of my investments, even YTD plots show as nearly horizontal lines with very little daily movement.  Ideally the user should be able to choose the y-axis starting value (or if you go back to the dynamic plots, be able to set the scale to zero for a particular plot).  Having both views is instructive, but for daily monitoring a dynamic range scaled to the data works best.
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

I am on 5.5.7 and get no notification to update. Tried manual update from Quicken menu and it says I have the latest version. Why?
  • Jim18
    Jim18 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The Y-Axis now always starts at zero is a terrible idea. It renders the graphics useless. Sorry!
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

It is a staged release. Quicken makes available a small number of updates, first come first served. Then they wait to release more to make sure there are no major show stoppers. If no major issues, it will go to full release in a couple/few days.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jim said:

The Y-Axis now always starts at zero is a terrible idea. It renders the graphics useless. Sorry!

+1. Makes it useless. Sorry (too)!
  • jbajor
    jbajor Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jim said:

+1 +1 +1!!!!!!   Customer service on chat line didnt even know about this.  It is useless!  Please return to original or provide the option
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Just got it - thanks...Really like the Direct Connect improvement. No longer locked out.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

This is a vast improvement. However, we still need in the Tags section a *No Tag* item in the list. As it is, there is no way to filter for transactions that have either one specific tag OR are untagged.I agree with RickO on this.  We need either an overall report filter setting with "Any, All, or None", or a <no-tags> entry in the tag list.  This is to allow specific tags to be excluded from a report when there are untagged transactions present.  There have been previous posts on this topic, and as RickO has pointed out before, there is a voting page for this capability.  See...

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-5-x-released?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][reply_id]=19310613#reply_19310613
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I did the update and found an issue with the handling of a remove shares transact....

I did the update and found an issue with the handling of a remove shares transaction. The ETF changed its name and there is an add and remove shares transaction in my history. My portfolio still is reported the removed shares in my holdings. How should this be fixed?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Strongly agree. Y-axis starting at 0 eliminates the meaningful variations in value. It all becomes essentially a straight line. This should be changed back in my opinion.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Jeffrey, excellent quote. I taught science for a few years and one skill I tried to teach students was choosing the correct scale when presenting data. Getting across the idea that not all graphs need a zero point was one of the hardest for some students to understand. A scale that hides the trends is a no-no.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

@Jeffery Fo;inus

The quoted comments by Edward Tufte are right on target.

Example - the new QMac investment charts almost completely mask the recent market volatility.

With all due respect to the Quicken CEO - please, please return to the old way. Better yet. let the user specify the Y axis limits.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

This discussion has been closed.