Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6.x Released

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Still backing up after 5.6 update?.

After the 5.6 update I no longer see the quick flash for the backup file when I quit. Has something changed? Is it so quick now I'm missing it, or has it stopped backing up?

Thanks very much.

That is the default location. You can change the location of your backups.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Still Sloooooow to Launch.  I had high hopes QM 5.6 would fix the very slow initial launch issue.  But, alas, for me it is still as slow as ever.  In fact I believe QM 5.6 is actually slower than 5.5.7 to launch - can it be possible.  I used to launch Quicken, go and brew a cup of tea in the microwave for 2 minutes 20 seconds and when I returned my file was just opening.  Now I do the same thing but when I return I still have to wait for the file to open.  I also notice that I don't get an indication that Quicken is launching.  By that I mean no bouncing dock icon, no spinning beachball, nothing - just wait and hope.  I am thinking about rolling back to 5.5.7 (because its slowness was faster) but don't know if I can since the data file was updated.  Or, I guess I will have to wait for QM 5.7 and hope the team has figured this problem out.  As a reminded this slowness is only for the initial launch after I start may computer for the day or after a restart.  Any relaunch after the initial is very fast (5-10 seconds).  What gives?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, as you continue to make enhancements to the reports selection UI, I want note one thing about the current UI that doesn't make sense. I select New Report, choose one of the three types (such as Transaction), choose a subtotal (such as Category), and then.... click Create Report. I then wait while Quicken creates a report which, I'd guess, is NOT what the user wants 90+% of the time; almost always, a trip to Customize is needed to select a desired date range and other filters. Instead of first creating the report and then having the user refine it and regenerate it, why not have the UI take the user directly to the Customize screen before generating the report? For a user who wants to change nothing, this adds a mere on additional click on the OK button; for users who want to set a date range and/or other filters, it's a faster path to getting the report they want. (And this change would be easy to program, as it's not changing any of the existing functionality.)

Ditto.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, another Reports UI comment: when I create a New Report, the first thing it asks me to do is name the report. That has always seemed odd to me, as I often generate Quicken reports on the fly and don't want to save or name them. If I don't type a name, Quicken names it for me: "Category Transaction 4" or similar, which is okay. But here's the real problem: the Customize dialog box has a checkbox for "Save as Custom Report" -- but every report a user generates is being saved from the instant it's created. My Reports menu is littered with quick one-time reports I don't need again, but haven't taken time to go back and delete. Why save every report, when there's already an option to Save as Custom Report for those reports a user wants to save? Why not allow reports created on the fly to be unnamed and unsaved, and require entry of a name only if and when a user wants to save the report?

I agree again too. It's a pain to have to go back and delete all the temporary reports that have been saved.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Still backing up after 5.6 update?.

After the 5.6 update I no longer see the quick flash for the backup file when I quit. Has something changed? Is it so quick now I'm missing it, or has it stopped backing up?

Thanks very much.

And you can use menu File > Show Backups in Finder to find them, no matter where they are being stored.
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, another Reports UI comment: when I create a New Report, the first thing it asks me to do is name the report. That has always seemed odd to me, as I often generate Quicken reports on the fly and don't want to save or name them. If I don't type a name, Quicken names it for me: "Category Transaction 4" or similar, which is okay. But here's the real problem: the Customize dialog box has a checkbox for "Save as Custom Report" -- but every report a user generates is being saved from the instant it's created. My Reports menu is littered with quick one-time reports I don't need again, but haven't taken time to go back and delete. Why save every report, when there's already an option to Save as Custom Report for those reports a user wants to save? Why not allow reports created on the fly to be unnamed and unsaved, and require entry of a name only if and when a user wants to save the report?

Agree, Agree, Agree!
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Thanks very much.

I don't see a dialog box notifying me that a backup is being done with QM 5.6 like it did with previous versions.  I checked and the backups are being done.  As long as the backups are occurring I guess I don't really need to know about it.  I don't recall QM 2007 presenting such a dialog box either.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Thanks very much.

QM2007 never did...  ;-)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

Thanks very much.

Craig, if you want to see a dialog, go to Preferences and check both checkboxes at the bottom of the window. You'll get a window asking you to confirm you want it to back up when you quit (if you've made any changes to your data file).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • krm11
    krm11 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, as you continue to make enhancements to the reports selection UI, I want note one thing about the current UI that doesn't make sense. I select New Report, choose one of the three types (such as Transaction), choose a subtotal (such as Category), and then.... click Create Report. I then wait while Quicken creates a report which, I'd guess, is NOT what the user wants 90+% of the time; almost always, a trip to Customize is needed to select a desired date range and other filters. Instead of first creating the report and then having the user refine it and regenerate it, why not have the UI take the user directly to the Customize screen before generating the report? For a user who wants to change nothing, this adds a mere on additional click on the OK button; for users who want to set a date range and/or other filters, it's a faster path to getting the report they want. (And this change would be easy to program, as it's not changing any of the existing functionality.)

Definitely makes more sense.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Thanks very much.

RickO wrote "File > Show Backups in Finder". Easiest of all, thanks! Have I never noticed this or is this new with 2018? 
  • RickO
    edited May 2018

Thanks very much.

I believe it's been there since at least QM17. Not sure exactly when that was added.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

And here are the detailed release notes:

Improved application performance

In 5.6, we focused on improving app performance. Customers with years and years of investment transactions were the most impacted so we zeroed our efforts around investments, but everyone should benefit.

• NEW Drastically improved launch times for customers with lots of investment history. A lot of the slowness was downloading and storing quotes which has been significantly optimized.
    • NEW As part of this performance improvement, Quicken will now only download quotes for held securities, ignoring securities that are no longer owned. In the Securities list, we added a column, so you can see which securities are held. If you want to manage this yourself, you can turn this feature off and then a new column appears, so you can select which securities to update.
    • NEW Switching to the investment view is significantly faster but drawing the chart can still take some time. By the way, you can hide the chart by dragging up on the bar between the chart and the portfolio table which also improves the overall performance of these views.
    • NEW Switching from the Portfolio Value view to Performance view is a lot faster now.
    • NEW Switching between different Groups in the Portfolio View now immediately update.

Improved report usability and functionality
    • NEW The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report now display date range and customization settings in the upper right corner. This information also appears in printed and exported reports.
    • NEW The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    • NEW As part of refining this experience, column selection for transaction reports has been moved to the report toolbar.
    • NEW The drill down report will now remember the columns chosen so that all future drill down reports will include the same columns.
    • FIXED The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report will now export foreign and other special characters to the CSV file.

Continued refinement of investment portfolio view
    • NEW The portfolio view can now be printed, exported to a CSV file, or copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.
    • NEW The portfolio view now remembers which securities have been expanded and collapsed.
    • NEW Added a way to expand all or collapse all securities. CTRL-click, or right-click, the portfolio view header to get to see these options.
    • NEW Securities without a cost basis will now display an Add Cost Basis button that will bring up the dialog to cost basis information.
    • NEW The number of shares column will now display more than 3 decimal places.
    • NEW The Y-Axis now always starts at zero.
    Better eBill support in Bills & Income
    • NEW Changed the way track flow works. First, Quicken asks whether you want to add an eBill or manual bill. Second, if creating an eBill, Quicken will allow you to enter any name to search for an eBiller vs forcing you to pick an existing payee. You'll link the eBill to the payee later in the process.
    • NEW Added an Add Payee option to the Payee screen.
    • NEW Added a column to the Payees list window to more easily select which payees should appear in the Bills & Income screen.
    General improvements across the product
    • NEW Improved transaction downloads. Previously, downloading from Direct Connect accounts would block you from doing anything else. Now Direct Connect works like Quicken Connect accounts in that you can continue to use Quicken while downloading is happening in the background.
    • NEW In the register, the name of the column being sorted will display more boldly in order to make it more obvious which column is being used to sort the register.
    • NEW Also in the register, we now always display the balance regardless of the column being sorted. When not sorted by Date or CLR, the balance column will have an italicized, dark gray color to let you know the balance won't match your statement.
    • NEW Updated the Column menu in the register to allow you to more easily hide and show columns. We also added a Reset to Default menu item to get back to the default for the current account.
    • FIXED Fixed a number of bugs and stability issues.
    On 5-10-18, Quicken asked me if I wanted to install the latest update, so I did.  This morning, Quicken would NOT open.  I rebooted, tried again. Still wouldn't open.

I'm a web programmer, so I'm NOT a dummy - I uninstalled, rebooted, logged back in to my Quicken account, re-downloaded, installed again; signed in, tried to open my working file.

I got this error message (see screenshot).  Fortunately I do backups on exit and before updates b/c the only way to get restored was to restore my pre-update backup.

Be careful - the latest update has issues.

• RickO
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

In 5.6, we focused on improving app performance. Customers with years and years of investment transactions were the most impacted so we zeroed our efforts around investments, but everyone should benefit.

• NEW Drastically improved launch times for customers with lots of investment history. A lot of the slowness was downloading and storing quotes which has been significantly optimized.
    • NEW As part of this performance improvement, Quicken will now only download quotes for held securities, ignoring securities that are no longer owned. In the Securities list, we added a column, so you can see which securities are held. If you want to manage this yourself, you can turn this feature off and then a new column appears, so you can select which securities to update.
    • NEW Switching to the investment view is significantly faster but drawing the chart can still take some time. By the way, you can hide the chart by dragging up on the bar between the chart and the portfolio table which also improves the overall performance of these views.
    • NEW Switching from the Portfolio Value view to Performance view is a lot faster now.
    • NEW Switching between different Groups in the Portfolio View now immediately update.

• NEW The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report now display date range and customization settings in the upper right corner. This information also appears in printed and exported reports.
    • NEW The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    • NEW As part of refining this experience, column selection for transaction reports has been moved to the report toolbar.
    • NEW The drill down report will now remember the columns chosen so that all future drill down reports will include the same columns.
    • FIXED The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report will now export foreign and other special characters to the CSV file.

• NEW The portfolio view can now be printed, exported to a CSV file, or copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.
    • NEW The portfolio view now remembers which securities have been expanded and collapsed.
    • NEW Added a way to expand all or collapse all securities. CTRL-click, or right-click, the portfolio view header to get to see these options.
    • NEW Securities without a cost basis will now display an Add Cost Basis button that will bring up the dialog to cost basis information.
    • NEW Changed the way track flow works. First, Quicken asks whether you want to add an eBill or manual bill. Second, if creating an eBill, Quicken will allow you to enter any name to search for an eBiller vs forcing you to pick an existing payee. You'll link the eBill to the payee later in the process.
    • NEW Added a column to the Payees list window to more easily select which payees should appear in the Bills & Income screen.
    • NEW Improved transaction downloads. Previously, downloading from Direct Connect accounts would block you from doing anything else. Now Direct Connect works like Quicken Connect accounts in that you can continue to use Quicken while downloading is happening in the background.
    • NEW In the register, the name of the column being sorted will display more boldly in order to make it more obvious which column is being used to sort the register.
    • NEW Also in the register, we now always display the balance regardless of the column being sorted. When not sorted by Date or CLR, the balance column will have an italicized, dark gray color to let you know the balance won't match your statement.
    • NEW Updated the Column menu in the register to allow you to more easily hide and show columns. We also added a Reset to Default menu item to get back to the default for the current account.
    Chris,

It appears as though your data file may have been upgraded by the new version (5.6.0), but for some reason, the old version of the program (5.5.7) is now launching. Once the file has been modified for version 5.6.x then version 5.5.x will not be able to open it and you will get the message above. If you do an About Quicken from the Quicken menu, you will see that you are (now) running 5.5.7.

(BTW, the first part of the message that refers to Quicken 2016 3.1.0 is a red herring; there's some reason/bug why it doesn't report the "real" previous opening of the file.)

The update 5.6.x is a staged rollout. This means that a very limited number of updates are made available and then updates are halted. We are in that halted state right now. Only version 5.5.7 is available for download from the Quicken website. Once update releases are resumed, you will be able to update again to 5.6.0 and your most recent file will open. Or, as you indicated you have done, you can revert to a backup that was saved from 5.5.7.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I upgraded to 5.6.0 on Quicken 2018 for Mac from the most recent prior version. It has not played nice with my data. It deleted several transactions from over a year ago in my checking account, so tracking those down has taken a fair bit of time. One of my brokerage accounts now has an erroneous balance and I'll be tackling that next.  I have a lot of data going back to 2004. Something is wrong when upgrades cause me have to comb through all that data to find issues the upgrade has created. And then there's the question of, what else happened that I haven't discovered, and may not for some time. I appreciate the improvements, but it's a heckuva price to pay. [Side note: once I saw the out of whack balances, I went back to an earlier backup of the data file, and upgraded that one, and it too had deleted transactions, but they were different from the first upgrade. But they were all over a year old.]
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

I too encountered this due to after updating to 5.6 on my iMac my quicken file is automatically copied to my laptop when it is started, by way of Resilio Sync.  I clicked on my Quicken program, at 5.5.7 on the laptop, and received the bogus message above.  At this time I cannot update my laptop to the new 5.6.  Must wait for blanket release it seems.  Rather startling for sure.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Robert, To get both computers running 5.6, you can open the Applications folder on your iMac, find the Quicken app, right click it and choose Compress. This will create a zip archive of the app. Then move that zip archive over to the laptop's Applications folder, delete the existing (5.5.7) copy of Quicken, double click the zip archive to uncompress it and you will be in business. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Kudos.  A perfect solution to my problem.  Thanks, Robert
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I am not certain this happened because of the update to 5.6.0 but I have not had any transactions download from my CapitalOne credit card more recent than 5/07 and I no longer get the summary window indicating how many new transactions were downloaded from the various accounts that would have indicated a connection error. Finally got it fixed  today by reestablishing the connection type but that  didn't work last night when I got asked for a verification code and the only notification option presented was my landline phone number which did not provide a code. Maybe last night's failure was CapitalOne flakiness.
  • jacobs
    edited May 2018

Still Sloooooow to Launch.  I had high hopes QM 5.6 would fix the very slow initial launch issue.  But, alas, for me it is still as slow as ever.  In fact I believe QM 5.6 is actually slower than 5.5.7 to launch - can it be possible.  I used to launch Quicken, go and brew a cup of tea in the microwave for 2 minutes 20 seconds and when I returned my file was just opening.  Now I do the same thing but when I return I still have to wait for the file to open.  I also notice that I don't get an indication that Quicken is launching.  By that I mean no bouncing dock icon, no spinning beachball, nothing - just wait and hope.  I am thinking about rolling back to 5.5.7 (because its slowness was faster) but don't know if I can since the data file was updated.  Or, I guess I will have to wait for QM 5.7 and hope the team has figured this problem out.  As a reminded this slowness is only for the initial launch after I start may computer for the day or after a restart.  Any relaunch after the initial is very fast (5-10 seconds).  What gives?

@Craig in ER: I share your frustration. I was incredibly excited to see that the 5.6 release included work to speed up the launch time of Quicken, as this has been a source of frustration for me since Quicken 2015 came out. Unfortunately, Quicken 2018 v5.6 is still incredibly slow to launch -- for the first launch of a day. For me, it's about 45 seconds. (I don't have exact 5.5 versus 5.6 timings.) If I quit and re-launch Quicken, it comes up in 6 seconds. But the initial launch is still painfully slow -- and as always, the program gives absolutely no visual indication (no splash screen, dialog box, etc.) that it is in the process of launching until the window finally pops open.

@Quicken Marcus, if you're reading these comments, I appreciate that you've put effort into improving the painfully slow launch speed of Quicken, but whatever was done in 5.6 made only a minimal change for me -- certainly not the 30-50% improvement your release note suggested. While I do have many years of Quicken data, my number of securities is actually modestly small -- 22 currently held, 54 all-time -- compared to some of the other Quicken users here who are well up in triple digits. Something more needs to be done to either eliminate or move to separately-threaded background tasks some of what Quicken is trying to do before opening.
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Investments - y-axis starting at zero. I do not like it. Put it back the way it was or include an option for zero or lowest value.

smayer97's security graph chooser from Quicken 2007 reminds me how much I miss a graph of the price history of individual securities especially when marked showing my trades.
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Investments - y-axis starting at zero. I do not like it. Put it back the way it was or include an option for zero or lowest value.

smayer97's security graph chooser from Quicken 2007 reminds me how much I miss a graph of the price history of individual securities especially when marked showing my trades.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Hello RickO just a question, I try this but I receive a window saying You can't save the file"Quicken(56.22351.100) because the volume "#####" is read only
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

JF192... at what point do you get that message, when compressing the 5.6.0 app, when copying the zip file into the Applications folder on the 2nd computer, or when trying to expand the zip archive? For some of these steps, you need to be logged into the Mac with an Admin account. That may be the issue. Or you may be trying to place the file in the wrong place. On the destination Mac, it need to go in the top level Applications folder of the startup drive.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

i'd join a class action lawsuit, if one got going.
  • jacobs
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

Franklin, I understand your pain and frustration. I've seen on this forum that some Quicken reps seem to recommend doing the export/import approach, which -- as you've discovered -- is not a panacea. It may resolve the issue with downloads, but it entails lots of time and work for the user to get their settings and details back in order.

I think this process should only be recommended as an absolute last resort; I think Quicken reps go down this route far too quickly because they know it will solve the downloading issue, which gets them to say "problem solved" -- but they don't have to live with the consequences and side effects. It's like going to a doctor for a pain, and getting immediately wheeled into surgery, without exploring other options and treatments. Further, because agents "resolve" the download problems this way, I don't know if it is a top priority of the development team to figure out and fix whatever is the root cause of this problem. It seems crazy that users are directed to harm their data in order to fix their data, and that there is no other remedy or cure to stopped downloads.
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Is not your pre 5.6 update data file in your Automatic Backup directory? After downloading the prior version (5.5.7) it should be possible to Restore from Backup - essentially taking you to a point prior to the 5.6 update - both for the Quicken app - which you downloaded - and the data file.
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Does anybody like the new graph? Also, I would like to know why this was changed in first place? Were there some issues for some users they way the investment graphs were?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Quicken CEO Eric Dunn requested it.

Obviously, he doesn't use Quicken enough to even understand what users need and how awful having the Y axis start at zero really is.  

But then again, he's only the CEO.  

SMH!
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Is it possible to sandbox 5.6 (with its own data file) and run it in parallel with 5.5.7?  It would be good to continue to test it while some of the areas being discussed are fixed. I tried, but every time I open 5.6, it reaches out to the last opened data file - and if that happens to be the 5.5.7 file, it converts it.  
This discussion has been closed.