Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6.x Released

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

i'd join a class action lawsuit, if one got going.

Currently, it is not possible to run 2 copies of the same MAIN version of QMac (e.g. 2 x QM2018, or 2 x QM2017, etc) without using a work-around, such as running a VM or using a separate user. (That said, you can run QM2017 and QM2018 side by side).

You can add your VOTE to Maintain ability to run 2 copies of Quicken for Mac simultaneously.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data and File Management Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Investments - y-axis starting at zero. I do not like it. Put it back the way it was or include an option for zero or lowest value.

In case you missed it, as noted just above, Marcus has indicated that this is being changed back in the next release:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-6-x-released?topic-reply...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

i'd join a class action lawsuit, if one got going.

Thanks, smayer97. I am currently running QM17 and QM18 simultaneously (for investment data copy/paste capability, which I hope to stop once the dust settles on 5.6.X). You are right - it would be helpful to have the capability, even if it is in a limited test environment, to enable essentially a larger user base involved in testing a release before it is released fully. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Is it possible to sandbox 5.6 (with its own data file) and run it in parallel with 5.5.7?  It would be good to continue to test it while some of the areas being discussed are fixed. I tried, but every time I open 5.6, it reaches out to the last opened data file - and if that happens to be the 5.5.7 file, it converts it.  

Najmi,

While @smayer97 is correct that your cannot run different versions of QM2018 simultaneously, it is possible to run them on the same machine as long as they are not open at the same time. To do this, you would need to name each copy of the application file differently so that you know which is which. You would need to keep your two copies of your data file (one updated to 5.6 and one not updated) separate and named separately.

First you would drag and drop the non-updated file onto the 5.5.7 program icon, decline the offer to update if it comes up, work on the file, then quit Quicken.  Then drag and drop the updated file onto the 5.6 program icon, work on that file, and quit. You would need to always drag and drop to make sure Quicken doesn't just open the last-opened file.

As long as the two copies of Quicken are not running at the same time, and as long as you're careful to only open the correct version of your file with the correct version of the program, this will work.

A better option, though, would be to run one of the copies in a macOS installation on a virtual machine. Or alternatively, install macOS on a different startup drive or partition, restart from that and keep your older file and program version there.

Simply running from a different user login is not going to work because Quicken is going to attempt to open both files with the most recent program version.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Is it possible to sandbox 5.6 (with its own data file) and run it in parallel with 5.5.7?  It would be good to continue to test it while some of the areas being discussed are fixed. I tried, but every time I open 5.6, it reaches out to the last opened data file - and if that happens to be the 5.5.7 file, it converts it.  

RickO...good point about not running at same time. 

Of course you could NEVER run 2 versions at the same time with the SAME data file, even with old versions of Quicken. You always have to have 2 separate copies.

BUT taking this one step further, you can run 2 copies of the same version at the same time IF each one uses its own copy of the data file AND each copy of QMac runs in under SEPARATE user. Then you can use Quick User Switch to flip between the two. Of course, you have to make sure that each data file opens a different copy of the data, or vice versa, each copy of the data file opens a different copy of Quicken.

Short of using third party solutions, I think that is the closest you can get to running 2 copies of QMac simultaneously. 

• Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Thanks, RickO. I will give that a shot! 

A question though, on your last comment - that a different user login would not work. I was about to try that. I usually maintain my data file within my user directory rather than the Quicken default location. As such, if I have two different logins and maintain the two data files within the directory of the two users, and neither of the two logins have admin privileges, would it not be possible to install the two versions of Quicken so that they do not have access to the data file in the other login?  (I realize I am overdriving my headlights in terms of what I know of macOS...!)
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Smayer97 ... our responses crossed - I was kind of exploring what you discussed!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Yes exactly...that should work.  ;-)

• RickO
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

I agree, that should work. If you open one version or the other of the Quicken app file, it should try to open the last data file opened for that user. You will probably have to drag and drop the first time to make sure the association is correct. And make sure you have an archived version of your old-version file because if you accidentally open it with the new-version app, it is going to get upgraded without warning and you will no longer be able to open it with the old version.

The safest thing to do, of course, is create a separate macOS installation on another drive or partition. But that requires restarting between work sessions -- kind of a pain.
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Got it! Thanks again!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

BTW, only some versions cause an update that is not backwards compatible. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to know which one, as there is rarely any warning. BUT some are backward compatible. Just FYI.

• Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Confirmed that it works.

But, as RickO pointed out, there is still the risk of accidentally opening the wrong version. This is because the applications folder is visible across both user accounts which makes it possible, even with app renaming, to open the wrong version of the quicken app! And, again because of the way the applications folder spans users, deleting it in one user accounts deletes it for all. What I ended up doing is to move each of the app version, in their respective user accounts to the desktop. The first time you open it, it will ask if you want it installed in the app folder. Check do not ask again, and decline. Now each app version is no longer visible from the other user. 

I'm not sure if having an app outside of the app folder has any other unintended consequences but it at least resolves the problem of accidental opening the wrong version and getting the data file upgraded without warning. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Quicken runs fine installed outside the Applications folder You should be good.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    What has happened to the roll out? Is it still suspended due to problems still not fixed? I have not see the update yet. I am not in a big hurry I would rather have a clean as possible release. 

However a status update would be helpful.
  • Randall Godfrey
    Randall Godfrey Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Surprisingly, after reading this thread, I’m having zero issues with 5.6, but then I never moved any of the data files, program files, backup files, etc. nor do I have a complex investment portfolio. Everything including transaction downloading is working for me.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Eagle22 said:

What has happened to the roll out? Is it still suspended due to problems still not fixed? I have not see the update yet. I am not in a big hurry I would rather have a clean as possible release. 

Yes, if the 5.6 release has not resumed, it’s because of a problem(s) they identified and decided to fix before a wide roll-out. Sometimes this is due to a major bug, but more typically it’s something smaller that they found can quickly be fixed before wide release. Typically, the x.x.1 release follows within a few days. Also typically, they don’t post about it until the x.x.1 release is available or unless there’s going to be a major delay.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Surprisingly, after reading this thread, I’m having zero issues with 5.6, but then I never moved any of the data files, program files, backup files, etc. nor do I have a complex investment portfolio. Everything including transaction downloading is working for me.

Likewise I have no new issues with 5.6 other than I do not like the graph.  Occasionally I was unable to download with 5.5 and fixed that by disconnecting and setting up connection again. I wouldn't be surprised to have similar issue with 5.6. Slow sometimes, yes, but so was 5.5. I do not like the new performance graph and they are changing that.  

My 5.5 data file was over 200mb - 5.6 now 171mb .  I have approx 2500 investment transactions over several years. The total transaction count is 27,700.  I converted QWin to QMac in 2015. 5.6 doesn't handle traded options completely, which is a problem for me, but neither did 5.5. Marcus has responded to that issue. Export of portfolio in CSV detail is not perfect but very workable for me.

Although there is lots of chatter it doesn't appear the issues are universal. Some of of chatter is recommendation.  Glad to see update because we at least are moving forward.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Or, instead of having either version installed in the top level Applications folder, put each version in the appropriate User-level Applications folder (the one in the user's home directory). That will keep it from being opened by the wrong user.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Eagle22 said:

There have been some reports of missing transactions. While not widespread, it would be a serious enough issue that I could see them halting the release because of that. Just a guess.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I have Qmac 2018 premier, and vers 5.6
    This am the app is shutting down when I try to 'mark as paid' a recurring note payment. I also discovered the loan term was also changed on 2 of my loans.
    Other Bills do not seem to be affected.
    I was unable to fix the issue, and had to covert the loan to a liability so I could post the payment.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    What is the status of the 5.6 download,is it complete to all users  or is the download still in progress?

I  now observe from above thread that they had an issue & the download has been halted.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Though not foolproof, keep in mind that QMac remembers the last data file it opened, so once you have opened the data file the first time, clicking on the respective Quicken icon will open up the respective data file.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Starting the Y axis on the investment view at zero is a bad idea - It turns all m....

I'm running Quicken Deluxe 2018 - version 5.6.0 - the latest update changed the investment graph view so that the Y axis starts at zero.  This caused all my graphs to become basically a straight line - they have become virtually useless as a visual clue regarding recent performance.  I suggest you either return to the original default or allow users to set the starting point.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

The product manager has indicated that the graph axis will return to the previous behavior when 5.6.1 is released.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Starting the Y axis on the investment view at zero is a bad idea - It turns all m....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

Well, I've had MAJOR problems. I run the same file on two computers (never at the same time) and sync with Dropbox. The computer that upgraded to 5.6 will now not open the Quicken data file at all, telling me that it was last opened in 2015!!. Fortunately my MacBook never got the update before it was pulled so I can still run the data file on that computer, awaiting 5.6.1 which hopefully will fix the problem. I have never had a problem with any update before so this was quite a shock. If I didn't have the MacBook version I would have been locked out until the correction is issued. I have decades of data and update all 9 accounts every morning. This was VERY bad.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018

rph9,

First of all, you should not be storing your active file on Dropbox. It's not a supported technique and can easily lead to trouble. You should copy the file to local storage, work on it, then copy it back to Dropbox. Or at least turn Dropbox off while the file is open.

That said, I don't think this is your issue right now and I think perhaps you are describing your situation in reverse. Once a file has been opened in the updated program (5.6), it cannot any longer be opened in 5.5.x because of changes made to the database structure. (This doesn't always apply to all updates, but does to this one.)

When you try to open the updated file with 5.5.x, you will get the message you are seeing. There's a bug that causes the display of the "last opened in 2015" message, but what's really happening is that 5.5.x can't open the file that was updated by 5.6.

The 5.6 release is on hold right now due some issues that were discovered. That's why your computer with 5.5.x won't update.

You have two choices:

1) Replace the 5.6 copy of Quicken with a fresh download from quicken.com which will be version 5.5.x. Then revert to a backup saved before the file was updated.

2) On the computer with the updated 5.6 app, go to the Applications folder, select Quicken.app, right-click and choose Compress. Copy the resulting .zip file to Dropbox and move it to the Applications folder on the machine with the version 5.5.x. Unzip the archive and you can then replace v.5.5.x on that machine with 5.6.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

@RickO, you have been a wonderful consulieri, ie QM .  I no longer download updates when they are first offered. I wait to see on these pages how things are going before proceeding.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

Have been syncing with Dropbox among 3 computers for many years with no problems. I never open the Quicken package file sooner than several hours later on a different machine so Dropbox has plenty of time to sync. The current problem was the fault of Quicken, not Dropbox. Since a few members have experienced data loss by overwriting the app from one machine to another I think I'll just wait until Quicken releases a corrected version 5.6.1. Hopefully that will work. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with an update. I think in the future, I'll wait a week or so to update, as several readers have suggested. Thanks for your input.
  • Mike A
    Mike A Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled QMac 2018 build 5.6.0 not showing automatic backup and not limiting backups to nu....

I just installed QMax 2018 release 5.6.0 today. I had set to keep the last three automatic backups. I just noticed with the new install that (a) the "backing up" window that flashes up momentarily when closing the application is not appearing and (b) I now have 4 automatic backups saved.
  • Mike A
    Mike A Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

Oh I just spotted that QMac 2018 5.6.0 added one pre-backup automatic backup file before the update, and is still keeping the desired number of automatic backups. So I was wrong to report that the desired number of backups is not being kept. However, the backup in progress window that flashed up momentarily when closing QMac has stopped being displayed. If that was done on purpose, I have to wonder why.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: QMac 2018 build 5.6.0 not showing automatic backup and not limiting backups to nu....
This discussion has been closed.