Quicken 2018 Premier Bill Pay Set Up - No Premier Indication (No Fee)

Just subscribed to Premier 2018 for Windows, 2-yr., on Win 10, and am looking how to get Bill Pay set up through Quicken Bill Pay (Metavante Payment Services) as included in Premier versus an added monthly fee.

I've read many posts about setting up Bill Pay, including  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-premiere-2018-bill-pay  - some helpful info. 

However, no matter what I've read or how I get to Quicken Bill Pay to set up a new account, I find no distinction for Premier at no added fees.  I only found a single, standard set up that includes (fine print linked) a schedule of fees.  Sad to see such lack of clarity and use cases in setting all this up - and I am reluctant to use the 'standard setup' only to find out I'm in the wrong place and getting charged monthly for what I paid for to be no additional charge.

Is there a Bill Pay sign up method that recognizes a Premier subscription and indicates the fees are waived?  Thanks!

Comments

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Hello Mark,

I apologize for any confusion experienced with activating the free year of Quicken Bill Pay bundled with the 2018 release of Quicken, versions Premier and above.  Quicken will automatically recognize if you are eligible for the free Bill Pay once the new Bill Pay account credentials are added in the Quicken software.

The reason for this, is the Bill Pay offer is part of your membership which is managed by your Quicken ID.  Once the new Bill Pay account is added to a Quicken data file that is registered to the Quicken ID your membership was purchased under, the system will automatically recognize the connection and update the billing schedule to the free version for the year.

Step by step instructions to enroll with Quicken Bill Pay and add the new Bill Pay account to your data file may be found in:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-enroll-quicken-bill-pay-quicken-membership-2018-release-or-later

and

https://www.quicken.com/support/sign-quicken-bill-pay

I hope this information helps to explain the activation process but if you do have any further questions, please contact Customer Support:  https://www.quicken.com/support

Thank you,

Sarah
  • MarkITMarkIT Member
    edited December 2017
    Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the great info and links.  With what you sent, I was able to set up the Quicken Bill Pay and then set it up in my Quicken Premier 2018.  I set up Verizon Wireless as a payee, with all requested info, and then attempted to upload the payment I created.  It won't work.  It keeps asking me for a password for Quicken Bill Pay, which is already stored from the set up.  Also, when it requests the password, there is actually no field or any way to input the password (even though it is stored).  *sigh* another premature release before the bugs are worked out.  I am very disappointed.  I'd hoped with the company being purchased and the commitment to improve the product I would see this type of issue diminish from what it's been in past years.  Big time bug as I followed the instructions precisely.  I'm *hoping* that with the subscription, we will actually see more and regular fixes to iron this kind of stuff out.  Can you tell me how to have months added to my subscription for all the grief and for key functionality not working?  Not your fault, but a credit would be appropriate at this point.

Thanks,
    MarkIT
    edited July 2018
    Hi MarkIT,

I'm glad that the information and links were helpful with setting up the Bill Pay account but I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with sending payments.  Based on the description you have provided of what's happening it sounds as though you may be using a special character, such as !,@,&, # etc, in the Bill Pay password or there may be a bank account in Quicken still linked to the old Bill Pay information.

If there is a special character in the password then I suggest changing the password to be alphanumeric only, be sure to update the stored password in the Password Vault and then please try to send the payment again.

If there are no special characters in the password please check your Account List (Tools tab > Account List) for any accounts, including any hidden ones, that have Quicken Bill Pay active and ensure they are connected to the new account credentials.

If neither of those situations are the case, I'd love to work with you directly on this.  Please let me know how it goes and if necessary, if it is alright for me to reach out to you directly.

Thanks so much,

Sarah
  • MarkITMarkIT Member
    edited December 2017
    Hi Sarah,
    I actually did have a special character in my billpay password - kinda best practice in passwords these days, right?  [ sorry, you didn't do the programming :)  the Product Owner should be spanked, though IMHO :)   ]  

I thought it was a little strange when I set up my billpay online to begin with that special characters were not mentioned, either for or against.  Tonight when I got on to change it, I logged in just fine again with that special character, so that seems to indicate the shortcoming is in the desktop program or the back-end system with which it communicates.

Here are the instructions when I reset the pw online:

Password
    requirements:

• Must be at least 8
      characters in length.
    • Must include at least 1 letter and 1
      number.
    • Must include at least 1 uppercase and
      1 lowercase letter.
    • Cannot include spaces.
    • Cannot match an old password.
    • Cannot be changed more than once a
      day.
    Kind of a glaring omission the more I think about it.  Anyway, removed the special character and updated my pw in the program (and my pw vault outside QW) - and voilà my bill resend worked!!!  Yay!  I was also able to see it online, also.

Thank you, Sarah!  Please pass along up line that I *deliberately got onboard* to support the new company, but it absolutely HAS to turn over a new leaf and nail the QA and not let this stuff continue or I'm gone after many, many years.  Really serious.

Please hold their quality feet to the fire - and tell them MarkIT sent you!!!  :)  
    edited July 2018
    Hi MarkIT,

Yay!! I'm so glad to hear that the password change worked and you were able to send the payments :)  

I have submitted a request to have the password requirement fields updated to address the special character omission and also requested the previously provided support articles be updated to include the information about special characters and Quicken Bill Pay passwords, in hopes of helping other Users avoid this frustration.

I appreciate your patience and working with me through the various steps and information provided and want to assure you that Quicken as a whole is committed to improving the product and resolving many of the long standing bugs and issues as possible.  Our main area of priority throughout the last year has been the separation from Intuit and prepping the software for the transition from all Intuit systems and connections, building our own infrastructures and tools for those processes and completing the successful migration of over a million Users to the Quicken ID platform.

One of the main hurdles we've faced for many years with feature and bug improvements is the number of products offered and supported.  For the Windows platform alone we have been supporting up to 28 different products at the same time.  While it's great to have multiple options, it lead to a strain on resources in Development and QA and supply simply couldn't meet the demand leaving very little for implementing new and improved functionality.

Our first step in putting an end to that cycle has been the introduction of the Subscription format.  Rather than discontinuing the support and services of the product after 3 years and making our Users go through a upgrade and convert process time and time again, the renewable subscription format allows us to focus on a single version of each product and put our resources into fixes and improvements instead.  

That all being said however, I absolutely will be holding the feet to the fire and pushing for the best work from all of our Teams and can't tell you how excited I am for the future of Quicken. 

There are many great things on the horizon and hope this information helps to alleviate some concern and keeps you as a Quicken user for many more years to come.

Thank you again,

Sarah
  • MarkITMarkIT Member
    edited December 2017
    Thanks, Sarah - I'm rooting for Quicken.  Intuit had let the product get really messed up through under funding and under resourcing the product quality.  Quality really HAS to be the focus as some of these bugs (including program crashes) have been there for years without being addressed. 

I hate it when I have to learn where the crashes are and be careful to stay away from those functions (watch out - thin ice!!!). 

Please find a way to let the users know when it's again safe to use special characters at any point in the program.  I am uncomfortable with financial institutional account passwords just with random upper case, lower case, and numbers.  Totally unacceptable and a key area Quicken needs immediately to address.

All success to you and the new company.  I want you to succeed as much as you do, so don't be afraid to focus on the bug elimination at the expense of new features.  Stabilization is critical to the future - if that's refactoring the code or whatever it takes.  

Thanks again for your help, Sarah!
    MarkIT
  • jimaikinsjimaikins Member
    edited December 2017
    Wait...are you saying that only the 1st year of Billpay will be free with Premier?
  • psobilopsobilo Member
    edited August 2018
    Quicken Bill Pay is mentioned on http://quickenbillpay.com/  and  https://www.quicken.com/compare; both say it is FREE with Quicken Premier ($119/year value), but there is no mention of it being free for 1 year only.  Misleading advertising!  Pages need to be updated.  02/07/2018
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator
    edited February 2018
    psobilo said:

Quicken Bill Pay is mentioned on http://quickenbillpay.com/  and  https://www.quicken.com/compare; both say it is FREE with Quicken Premier ($119/year value), but there is no mention of it being free for 1 year only.  Misleading advertising!  Pages need to be updated.  02/07/2018

Hello psobilo,

Your assumption is incorrect. As long as the user has an active subscription to Premier or above, the user will receive Bill Pay for free.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • psobilopsobilo Member
    edited May 2018
    psobilo said:

To confirm, if a person bought QW2018 from Amazon for 27 months, they would have free access to Bill Pay for 27 months?  And as long as they renew at the end of each 'subscription period', free Bill Pay would continue?