Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6.x Released

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

Surprisingly, after reading this thread, I’m having zero issues with 5.6, but then I never moved any of the data files, program files, backup files, etc. nor do I have a complex investment portfolio. Everything including transaction downloading is working for me.

rph9... As I said above, I don't think that Dropbox was your issue this time either. However, time to sync is not the only possible issue with Dropbox. It has to do with permissions within the package getting out of whack. It is not supported, so you take your chances. Just make sure you have frequent backups.

For the current issue, as I said, I think you are simply trying to open an updated file with a non-updated copy of the app. That is not a bug.

As for moving the Quicken app from one machine to another, I am not aware of anyone ever having an issue with this. Please cite references for this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Mike A said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

Oh I just spotted that QMac 2018 5.6.0 added one pre-backup automatic backup file before the update, and is still keeping the desired number of automatic backups. So I was wrong to report that the desired number of backups is not being kept. However, the backup in progress window that flashed up momentarily when closing QMac has stopped being displayed. If that was done on purpose, I have to wonder why.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: QMac 2018 build 5.6.0 not showing automatic backup and not limiting backups to nu....

The lack of a backup window is a known changed mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't know if there's any plan to restore it.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

Surprisingly, after reading this thread, I’m having zero issues with 5.6, but then I never moved any of the data files, program files, backup files, etc. nor do I have a complex investment portfolio. Everything including transaction downloading is working for me.

@rph9: A friendly word of advice... People always say, "I've been doing it this way and never had a problem" -- until they have a problem, and then it's (sometimes) too late. As @RickO says, file permissions can get messed up syncing via cloud services. Your Quicken data file is a Mac package which consists of many files and folders in a wrapper that makes it look like a single file. If you want to transfer your data file via Dropbox, the safe way to do it is to do File > Compress, then move the .zip file to Dropbox; the .zip format protects the files and folders within your data file from possible macOS permission issues. Yes, it's an extra step each time you upload to Dropbox and an extra step when you download to the other Mac, but are you willing to put your data file at risk to save a few seconds?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled After updating to Quicken 5.6 for Mac, Quicken is crashing when I try to customiz....

Since updating to version 5.6 for Mac, Quicken crashes when I try to Customize the date range in the "Spending Over Time" report. Even if I use any of the preset date ranges (e.g. Last 12 Months), Quicken will immediately crash. Is there a fix on the way?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks for the explanation of why that would work. I appreciate your expertise.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Investments - y-axis starting at zero. I do not like it. Put it back the way it was or include an option for zero or lowest value.

Why does the y-axis start at zero for the YTD or 1 year graphs?  Most of my investments don't start from zero within the last year.  The graph almost looks like a straight line and doesn't help me visualize the changes within the year.  We should have the option to change the start point of the y-axis so that the graph can show more detail.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Investments - y-axis starting at zero. I do not like it. Put it back the way it was or include an option for zero or lowest value.

Gene.. please read the post directly above yours.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    s2kdriver said:

Very nice printing improvements for the Portfolio view - thank you.  I particularly like the CSV export capability to format the report in Excel according to personal needs.  This is a good addition.

However, I am disappointed that two major issues still remain in the investments area:

1. Remove shares is still treated as a capital loss, and this negatively affects the Performance measurements (IRR, ROI) and the capital gains report.  From my perspective this is a major defect since Remove shares and Add shares is Quicken's recommended method to move shares between accounts, and is also the mechanism to handle security exchanges within an account.  This defect can turn a positively performing security and account into a loss position, and as a result the performance measurements for the account can go permanently negative because of this.  It makes IRR & ROI measurements permanently useless for that security and account, as well as impacting performance roll-ups at the Brokerage, Retirement, and Education investment category levels.

2. Adjusted Cost Base (or average cost) has not been added as a cost basis method for securities.  FIFO and LIFO are not valid cost basis methods for Canadian taxpayers. Other Canadian features in the product have been very good so far, but this remaining issue is a real limiter.  Unless you take extreme measures to manually calculate and implement an ACB method using the custom lots feature, the product does not report correct gain/loss amounts.  Canadian users typically have to calculate their cost base using other methods outside of the product (e.g. Excel).  This is a shame and removes value from the product for Canadian users.  I don't think I am alone in this request.

Perhaps there was insufficient time to deal with these issues in the 5.6 release.  I am still hopeful that Quicken will address these problems within a reasonable time as part of upcoming releases.

Thank you for the detailed discussion.  I personally learn a lot from all of you.  I've created an internal ticket for us to consider these ideas but I want to caution that this is not something we'll be able to decide quickly and update in a point release.  With that said, this is very important to make sure we get these kinds of things right so I also want to make sure you understand this is not a brush off.  We take these things very seriously but it takes time and I know we have people here who have very strong opinions about this kind of thing so I'm guessing there will be a lot of discussion.  Thanks for bringing this up.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    s2kdriver said:

Very nice printing improvements for the Portfolio view - thank you.  I particularly like the CSV export capability to format the report in Excel according to personal needs.  This is a good addition.

However, I am disappointed that two major issues still remain in the investments area:

1. Remove shares is still treated as a capital loss, and this negatively affects the Performance measurements (IRR, ROI) and the capital gains report.  From my perspective this is a major defect since Remove shares and Add shares is Quicken's recommended method to move shares between accounts, and is also the mechanism to handle security exchanges within an account.  This defect can turn a positively performing security and account into a loss position, and as a result the performance measurements for the account can go permanently negative because of this.  It makes IRR & ROI measurements permanently useless for that security and account, as well as impacting performance roll-ups at the Brokerage, Retirement, and Education investment category levels.

2. Adjusted Cost Base (or average cost) has not been added as a cost basis method for securities.  FIFO and LIFO are not valid cost basis methods for Canadian taxpayers. Other Canadian features in the product have been very good so far, but this remaining issue is a real limiter.  Unless you take extreme measures to manually calculate and implement an ACB method using the custom lots feature, the product does not report correct gain/loss amounts.  Canadian users typically have to calculate their cost base using other methods outside of the product (e.g. Excel).  This is a shame and removes value from the product for Canadian users.  I don't think I am alone in this request.

Perhaps there was insufficient time to deal with these issues in the 5.6 release.  I am still hopeful that Quicken will address these problems within a reasonable time as part of upcoming releases.

Thank you for the detailed discussion.  I personally learn a lot from all of you.  I've created an internal ticket for us to consider these ideas but I want to caution that this is not something we'll be able to decide quickly and update in a point release.  With that said, this is very important to make sure we get these kinds of things right so I also want to make sure you understand this is not a brush off.  We take these things very seriously but it takes time and I know we have people here who have very strong opinions about this kind of thing so I'm guessing there will be a lot of discussion.  Thanks for bringing this up.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Qckn Fan said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled After updating to Quicken 5.6 for Mac, Quicken is crashing when I try to customiz....

Since updating to version 5.6 for Mac, Quicken crashes when I try to Customize the date range in the "Spending Over Time" report. Even if I use any of the preset date ranges (e.g. Last 12 Months), Quicken will immediately crash. Is there a fix on the way?

This should be fixed in 5.6.1.  The issue appears to be that some people's report data was stored in a way that was unexpected and unlike typical reports.  We're not sure how people's data got into this state but our fix will bring these reports inline with the expected format.  This crash appears to have affected about 100 customers.  Thank you for reporting this issue and thanks to everyone sending their crash reports.  We are monitoring crashes closely after a release and will jump immediately on any new issues we see.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Mike A said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

Oh I just spotted that QMac 2018 5.6.0 added one pre-backup automatic backup file before the update, and is still keeping the desired number of automatic backups. So I was wrong to report that the desired number of backups is not being kept. However, the backup in progress window that flashed up momentarily when closing QMac has stopped being displayed. If that was done on purpose, I have to wonder why.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: QMac 2018 build 5.6.0 not showing automatic backup and not limiting backups to nu....

We continue to display a backup window if it takes longer to backup than a certain amount of time.  The reason it went away is that we sped up the backup process and it is probably done before the window would normally show up.  We do give you a preference to have Quicken ask you to backup before quitting if you would prefer.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018

What is the status of the 5.6 download,is it complete to all users  or is the download still in progress?

I  now observe from above thread that they had an issue & the download has been halted.

We just started a staged rollout for 5.6.1.  We'll turn it off tonight before we leave for the day since the Care team doesn't work on the weekends.   Depending on the results, we'll make a decision on whether to turn it back on Monday or not.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    opt said:

I have Qmac 2018 premier, and vers 5.6
    This am the app is shutting down when I try to 'mark as paid' a recurring note payment. I also discovered the loan term was also changed on 2 of my loans.
    Other Bills do not seem to be affected.
    I was unable to fix the issue, and had to covert the loan to a liability so I could post the payment.

We're not aware of this issue.  Can you provide more details?  We didn't touch loans in 5.6 so nothing should change there.  Were these hooked up to an eBIll?  Did you send us the crash report when you launched the app?  If so we can find it and research why it's crashing?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Is it possible to sandbox 5.6 (with its own data file) and run it in parallel with 5.5.7?  It would be good to continue to test it while some of the areas being discussed are fixed. I tried, but every time I open 5.6, it reaches out to the last opened data file - and if that happens to be the 5.5.7 file, it converts it.  

I'm not sure this is for everyone but many people in these forums are in our beta program and the Quicken beta app is a separate app that can run simultaneously with the current app.  We typically update it weekly as we get closer to release.  I'll be rolling out the 5.6.2 beta shortly.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

i'd join a class action lawsuit, if one got going.

Franklin, sorry this happened to you.  Just for future reference, we try not to make changes to transaction downloads in the Mac client so if transaction downloads stop working it's most likely not because of the update but because of something else.  Transaction downloads can stop for lots of different reasons.  Sometimes the banks will temporarily block connections from Quicken because they are trying to deal with website issues.  Sometimes they accidentally change the format they send Quicken which messes things up.  Sometimes the Quicken Cloud changes something and this confuses the Quicken desktop apps but this is rarer since we test cloud changes before they are deployed.  With over 14K banks and brokerages supported, there are lots of things that can go wrong. The other thing that's happening is that a lot of banks are changing their security requirements and this will impact things now and in the future.  This is the reason some things are breaking.  Banks are making lots of changes to their systems and this could introduce issues.  For the future, this is also going to affect Quicken.  For example, the next big transaction download change we'll be making is for a very large bank because they've changed the way they want customers to authenticate with their systems and this will require changes to the Mac desktop app. This future release is one that could introduce transaction download issues because of all the changes we're making.  I'll let you know when this happens in this type of forum post.

To fix these issues now, definitely try waiting to see if things correct themselves.  If that doesn't work then try disconnecting all accounts from the bank or brokerage that are broken and then reconnecting using the Add Account button.  This allows you to reconnect and link to all your accounts from a single bank or brokerage at a time vs one by one.  Try to avoid the export and import because we do NOT export everything that's in your file.  We only export transactions so you will lose custom reports, budgets and loan information.  We're aware that Care recommends this method probably far too often so we are working to improve export and import but as Jacobs suggests, this should only be used as a last step if nothing else works.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018

I am not certain this happened because of the update to 5.6.0 but I have not had any transactions download from my CapitalOne credit card more recent than 5/07 and I no longer get the summary window indicating how many new transactions were downloaded from the various accounts that would have indicated a connection error. Finally got it fixed  today by reestablishing the connection type but that  didn't work last night when I got asked for a verification code and the only notification option presented was my landline phone number which did not provide a code. Maybe last night's failure was CapitalOne flakiness.

I'm glad it got fixed.  Let us know if you continue to see issues.  We are doing some special work for Capital One so it could be because of the update but given that you were able to get it fixed tells me it was probably a glitch someplace else in the chain. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Najmi said:

Reports: I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but in 5.6, reports are not pulling in all the data. This is for both the predefined reports and through New Reports. For example, a report for summary by category, only a subset of the transactions are being pulled in. When I generate a report for either last year or this year, several categories, I looked at two - for example "Charity" and "Mortgage" are reporting only a subset of all transactions that have these as categories. In all cases the Tags and Payee are selected to "Include Transactions with any or no..."  Accounts are "All" (including accounts hidden from reports, just in case).  I can debug further and provide more specifics, but was wondering if anyone else has spotted a problem with reports. 

Note that the category assignment is still there. When I select Banking in the left pane and, within all the transactions, select Last Year as the date range, and then search for "Charity", all transactions with Charity as a category correctly show up. But not in reports. 

With Najmi's help, we were able to figure out the issue and have a fix for 5.6.1.  The issue is that when someone picks no payees or all accounts in 5.5.7 report, Quicken considers that to mean all payees and all accounts should be in the report including hidden payees and accounts.  In 5.6, we were converting this to use the new Any Payee and Any Account options but we were turning off hidden payees and accounts.   To fix this, go to your Customize dialog and turn on Include accounts hidden from reports and Include hidden payees.   For those of you that haven't upgraded yet, these checkboxes will be turned on automatically for all custom reports.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    dktenor said:

Sync with Quicken Mobile is changed
    I thought that the sync was broken.  All of the sudden my Cash account and one Savings account stopped appearing on Quicken Mobile.

In Mobile Preferences (on the desktop version) there is now a list of accounts to be synced over to Mobile.  Once I checked on my manual accounts (cash, savings account) - voila they all appeared.

Doug

Brice, This sounds like a weird case.  I'll contact you directly.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Cary said:

Since I got the update yesterday, I am no longer able to reconcile my credit cards due to bug.  When I select the option of "statement balance" instead of online balance it always show the current online balance as the starting balance instead of the last statement balance - as such the feature is now completely broken.   Please fix!

We haven't made any changes to reconcile in a long time so I'd be surprised if this is something new.  It might be that something changed in your account which is causing this to happen.  Can you provide a screenshot so I can see what you're talking about?  I also can't reproduce this issue in my own accounts so it will be difficult to fix.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, as you continue to make enhancements to the reports selection UI, I want note one thing about the current UI that doesn't make sense. I select New Report, choose one of the three types (such as Transaction), choose a subtotal (such as Category), and then.... click Create Report. I then wait while Quicken creates a report which, I'd guess, is NOT what the user wants 90+% of the time; almost always, a trip to Customize is needed to select a desired date range and other filters. Instead of first creating the report and then having the user refine it and regenerate it, why not have the UI take the user directly to the Customize screen before generating the report? For a user who wants to change nothing, this adds a mere on additional click on the OK button; for users who want to set a date range and/or other filters, it's a faster path to getting the report they want. (And this change would be easy to program, as it's not changing any of the existing functionality.)

Jacobs, I totally agree with you.  This was not the original design.  There was supposed to be 2 buttons on that dialog, Customize and Quick Report.  Customize would obviously bring up the Customize dialog and Quick Report would do what we do today which is to create a default report with default settings.  Customize was going to be the default.  Unfortunately, we ran out of time when we launched the new reports in 2017. This has been high on my list to fix for 2018 and the stuff we just completed in 5.6 was the first step to get there.  We're working through our list of things to make existing reports better and I consider allowing customization before creating the report as part of this phase.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, another Reports UI comment: when I create a New Report, the first thing it asks me to do is name the report. That has always seemed odd to me, as I often generate Quicken reports on the fly and don't want to save or name them. If I don't type a name, Quicken names it for me: "Category Transaction 4" or similar, which is okay. But here's the real problem: the Customize dialog box has a checkbox for "Save as Custom Report" -- but every report a user generates is being saved from the instant it's created. My Reports menu is littered with quick one-time reports I don't need again, but haven't taken time to go back and delete. Why save every report, when there's already an option to Save as Custom Report for those reports a user wants to save? Why not allow reports created on the fly to be unnamed and unsaved, and require entry of a name only if and when a user wants to save the report?

Thanks for bringing this up and keeping this on my radar.  RickO and I were discussing this the other day and he suggested we should create some reports pre-canned like the legacy reports so people can do ad-hoc things in those and not have to create new reports.  If they want to create a report then can use the Save as Custom Report.  I think that made a lot of sense to me too.  What do you think of that direction as an option?  I'm not saying that would replace your idea but as another route to the same type of use case.  Quite honestly we always thought of the register filters for ad-hoc things and reports as being more permanent which is why they work the way they do but I realize that FInd and register filters aren't able to do what you need.  It would be helpful to me to better understand what type of reports you typically run on an ad-hoc basis.  smayer97, if there is already a forum post on that can you provide me the link.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 5.6 update cost basis.

After update of 5.6 Mac, Cost basis in some of my Mutual funds says "ADD" but the shares are correct and when I try to guessimate nothing changes.  It still says "ADD".

MIke is correct.  When we download your information from the brokerage, the brokerage tells Quicken your holdings.  If there is a discrepancy between the holdings and the shares that are documented in the transaction list, then a placeholder is created.  The Add button is there to help you create a transaction to replace the placeholder with transactions so we know your cost basis and the Add button won't disappear until the number of holdings you have matches the number of shares that are defined in the transaction list.  The placeholder dialog tells you what the brokerage tells us you have and what Quicken knows about.  Now there could be an issue that we have the numbers wrong and I know there are times when there are rounding errors that cause a placeholder to be created so you might be running into this type of an issue but check out your transaction list.  What we typically do is to go to the Transaction List, Sort by Security and then add the Share Balance column to get the share count in the transaction list to see if that matches the holdings that appear in the portfolio view.  If they don't then this is why you're seeing the Add button.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Still backing up after 5.6 update?.

After the 5.6 update I no longer see the quick flash for the backup file when I quit. Has something changed? Is it so quick now I'm missing it, or has it stopped backing up?

Thanks very much.

The backup dialog appears only after a few seconds.  If the backup is faster than that, we don't even bother to show it.  We tried to make backup a lot faster because it was painfully slow especially for those with large files.  This was a request from our CEO who, as you can guess, has an enormous Quicken file.  He noted that it's very quick on Quicken Windows but was dog slow on Mac.  When we dove into it we found that we were doing a bunch of things that we didn't have to but there are tradeoffs.  For example, the backup files are larger now because we aren't really compressing them that much.  Compressing them took a huge amount of time and with people's hard drives being larger we felt the size difference wasn't worth the delay.  Also, people can decide to compress their files further if they want to save space.  Anyway, we didn't take the dialog away but it just doesn't appear, if the backup completes.  This is also not something new in 5.6 but was done a while ago.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Still backing up after 5.6 update?.

After the 5.6 update I no longer see the quick flash for the backup file when I quit. Has something changed? Is it so quick now I'm missing it, or has it stopped backing up?

Thanks very much.

The backup dialog appears only after a few seconds.  If the backup is faster than that, we don't even bother to show it.  We tried to make backup a lot faster because it was painfully slow especially for those with large files.  This was a request from our CEO who, as you can guess, has an enormous Quicken file.  He noted that it's very quick on Quicken Windows but was dog slow on Mac.  When we dove into it we found that we were doing a bunch of things that we didn't have to but there are tradeoffs.  For example, the backup files are larger now because we aren't really compressing them that much.  Compressing them took a huge amount of time and with people's hard drives being larger we felt the size difference wasn't worth the delay.  Also, people can decide to compress their files further if they want to save space.  Anyway, we didn't take the dialog away but it just doesn't appear, if the backup completes.  This is also not something new in 5.6 but was done a while ago.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Bob Newby said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reduced file size of Quicken for Mac Premier 2018 Version 5.6.0 (Build 56.22351.1....

I updated to 5.6.0 yesterday and noticed that the size of my Quicken data file went down from about 162 MB to about 123 MB.  Why is the 5.6 file so much smaller?

In your Quicken files, we used to keep your Quicken Windows or Quicken 2007 file and possibly the previous Quicken Mac file you imported possibly years ago.  I think the idea was to have it around in case something went wrong and you wanted to get that data back but we never really did anything with it.  We decided that since it wasn't being used there was really no reason to keep it around we should purge it from your file so your file could be smaller.  I think we actually did this awhile back for 2007 files but just recently noticed that we never did this for other file types.  In any case, this is the reason the file is smaller and not because we lost data that was part of your Quicken Mac file.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled File Size Change after 5.6.

I did not see a change in my file size.

I'm just speculating, but sometimes older databases were kept within the Quicken file structure and may have been cleaned up in the update. If you have an older file to compare, you could examine to see if this is the reason.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Reduced file size of Quicken for Mac Premier 2018 Version 5.6.0 (Build 56.22351.1....

See Quicken Macrus' reply, just above here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-6-x-released?topic-reply...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled File Size Change after 5.6.

I did not see a change in my file size.

I'm just speculating, but sometimes older databases were kept within the Quicken file structure and may have been cleaned up in the update. If you have an older file to compare, you could examine to see if this is the reason.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Reduced file size of Quicken for Mac Premier 2018 Version 5.6.0 (Build 56.22351.1....

RickO is basically correct.  We remove old imported files that you might have had in your Quicken Mac file for years.  These are typically the Quicken Windows, Quicken 2007 or the previous versions of the Quicken Mac database. Quicken Mac files are really just folders of other files.  If you right-click on a Quicken Mac file and choose Show Package Contents you'll be able to see all of the components that make up the Mac file.  Some would have a folder called "converted".  This is where we stored old imported files. I wasn't here but I think the idea 8 years ago by the Quicken Essentials team was to store the imported file in case someone wanted to re-import it once new functionality was added.   I'm not sure how they thought this would work but in any case, we never did anything with it but forced all users to keep this around basically doubling the size of their files for no reason.  I think we cleaned up 2007 files years ago but just recently realized that we didn't do the same thing for other file types.  This is why your 5.6 files are smaller.  In hindsight, I should have added this to the release notes but quite honestly we made this change months ago and I didn't remember it and didn't see it in the list of things we changed so it never got in.  Anyway, just wanted to make sure people knew 5.6 didn't lose any of their current data.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2018
    Mark said:

I upgraded to 5.6.0 on Quicken 2018 for Mac from the most recent prior version. It has not played nice with my data. It deleted several transactions from over a year ago in my checking account, so tracking those down has taken a fair bit of time. One of my brokerage accounts now has an erroneous balance and I'll be tackling that next.  I have a lot of data going back to 2004. Something is wrong when upgrades cause me have to comb through all that data to find issues the upgrade has created. And then there's the question of, what else happened that I haven't discovered, and may not for some time. I appreciate the improvements, but it's a heckuva price to pay. [Side note: once I saw the out of whack balances, I went back to an earlier backup of the data file, and upgraded that one, and it too had deleted transactions, but they were different from the first upgrade. But they were all over a year old.]

Issues like this can occur when we're doing a data validation check and find that your data doesn't match what it should.  For example, one of the checks we make is to make sure splits add up to their transaction total and then we have to correct it if that's not the case because it could lead to the app crashing or other bad things happening.  We try to be careful when we do this but balances can change because it means your balances were off because the data wasn't correct.  I'm not saying this is the issue in your case but this is what has happened to some before. We typically put something in the memo field that tells you what we changed and it's something you can search on to find the changed transactions.  You have to turn on the memo field in all transactions to do this search.  We did make some changes to investments for a very similar reason.  There were issues where the lot assignments were off if the buy and sell were entered out of order.   In any case, this shouldn't happen.  We try to be careful with these types of changes but obviously, it happened in your case.  I'll contact you directly.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Qckn Fan said:

5.6.1 fixed it! Thank you very much!!
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Mark said:

I upgraded to 5.6.0 on Quicken 2018 for Mac from the most recent prior version. It has not played nice with my data. It deleted several transactions from over a year ago in my checking account, so tracking those down has taken a fair bit of time. One of my brokerage accounts now has an erroneous balance and I'll be tackling that next.  I have a lot of data going back to 2004. Something is wrong when upgrades cause me have to comb through all that data to find issues the upgrade has created. And then there's the question of, what else happened that I haven't discovered, and may not for some time. I appreciate the improvements, but it's a heckuva price to pay. [Side note: once I saw the out of whack balances, I went back to an earlier backup of the data file, and upgraded that one, and it too had deleted transactions, but they were different from the first upgrade. But they were all over a year old.]

Marcus, what's the keyword you need to search for in the memo field?
This discussion has been closed.