Add Option to Disable Autofill in Quicken for Mac (71 Legacy Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Please add option to disable autofilling payees when entering transactions in account registers. 

There should be both a global setting (like QM2007 and QWin) and a setting at the individual payee level (like QWin).

If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted! Your VOTE matters!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

(see other comments below)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

0 votes

Planned · Last Updated

QMAC-14894

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    EDIT...so that categorization, amount, memo, etc do not get entered when entering transactions. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features.
    You may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This would really help if it can be set at the Payee level. I'm not looking for a universal option that turns off all autofill.
  • Jwalt313
    Jwalt313 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RCinNJ said:

This would really help if it can be set at the Payee level. I'm not looking for a universal option that turns off all autofill.

I agree with RCinNJ
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RCinNJ said:

Be aware that for a single entry you can start typing the payee name and when you have enough of a match, you can press Option-Tab...this will only record the payee and no other details but that one transaction.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Jwalt313
    Jwalt313 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    RCinNJ said:

How would that help with downloaded transactions from my banks? That's where the problems lie.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    This is a bad bookkeeping practice, and this feature continually introduces errors, which also affects the budget. It would be better to default to no autofill. When you go to Target, do you always buy the same thing for the same price? So you only buy clothing, or you only buy groceries? The same thing every time? Or, do you buy things that would span several categories, and different categories on each trip? This does it on automatic downloads, as well as manual entries. I've voted. :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

This is a bad bookkeeping practice, and this feature continually introduces errors, which also affects the budget. It would be better to default to no autofill. When you go to Target, do you always buy the same thing for the same price? So you only buy clothing, or you only buy groceries? The same thing every time? Or, do you buy things that would span several categories, and different categories on each trip? This does it on automatic downloads, as well as manual entries. I've voted. :-)

I agree. I have most of my accounts set up to electronically download. It is extremely frustrating when Category and Tag columns autofill. I use both columns to track my husband's work travel expenses so that we can submit reimbursement claims. I have to cross check everything, sometimes three times because a download filled a new expense in as "reimbursed," or an old business trip tag gets filled in when it is a new trip. Does Quicken read these forums and ever take suggestions? Manual entry is not an option since it would take me hours every week.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Theresa J said:

I've signed up to be a beta tester, so I can be the change I wish to see. ;-) I don't use tags. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

I'd sure like to spend less time working on my books than I do, because checking for errors because of autofill. Quickbooks (Win) is faster because I don't have this kind of thing enabled. Make sure you vote on this thread.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Theresa J said:

I would sign up to beta test too but there are too many plates spinning in my life already! I need to use tags for that same reason. Sometimes there are 2-3 trips to WA D.C. within one month and I have to separate them.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Theresa J said:

At least vote for this thread.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Theresa J said:

The auto-fill function renders QM almost unusable. Download and check EACH transaction, redoing most of them.

How hard is it to disable this function!

What baffles me is that there are so few votes to turn it off :-/  ...
    ....I'm ready to move on.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Theresa J said:

Hear hear! I just want the Payee and amount of transaction to autofill, not category/tags. AND sometimes the Payee autofills as something incorrect that has first three letters in common with the real one. If I don't catch that too then expense reports go haywire. It's not too much to ask really, to have options about what gets downloaded. I don't want Quicken to make guesses for me. I reckon I spend at least 30 minutes to an hour every week double checking this ****.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Theresa J said:

TURN IT OFFF!!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018
    RCinNJ said:

I agree with Jwalt313
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    RCinNJ said:

Sounds like you might be more interested in these 2 feature requests: First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    RCinNJ said:

Already did the first one. I have no faith it will be fixed. Autocategorization/autofill/autocomplete is a terrible bookkeeping practice. Yeah, I’m trained in bookkeeping, I’ve been a full-charge bookkeeper and Fiscal Clerk III for the county. Obviously no one at Quicken has ever audited an account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

It is so very obvious that NO ONE at Quicken has any formal accounting training or been through an IRS audit or an audit of any kind!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

Oh my gosh! Amen! I do have formal accounting training, and this just makes me crazy!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

You Need A Budget has autofill, iBank has autofill. This is just madness. Not to mention autofill with wrong information (downloaded or manual entry) totally screws up the budget.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

But the people who don't mind autofill are probably the same people who think Mint's crowdsourced categories are also a great idea. They don't know enough about accounting to even realize there's a problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

I have to have a new program soon. Is there any program available that does not auto fill categories and tags? I'm willing to try almost anything to see if it will work for me at tax time. This has been a problem for several years and I am beginning to believe that quicken does not care about there customers or at the very least they don't care enough about keeping us to invest the time and money to keep us on their customer base. I have been a quicken user for around 20 years. If I and all the other people with the same issue are not worth the investment I for one will be gone from there base permanently if I can find a program that works for me.
  • Jwalt313
    Jwalt313 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The lack of an option to turn off auto-categorization is the reason that I am considering leaving Quicken after 20 years myself.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Jwalt313 said:

The lack of an option to turn off auto-categorization is the reason that I am considering leaving Quicken after 20 years myself.

Banktivity is almost there. I'm just waiting :-/
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

How is this more than a simple "on/off" switch? (Really)
    Quicken's autofill is NOT as smart as it seems to think it is :-/
  • KevinB
    KevinB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Jwalt313 said:

Me too.  Hasnt been quite 20 years (of continuous use) for me; but close.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

I haven't been able to find a program yet that doesn't autofill. It's maddening.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Jwalt313 said:

Quicken doesn't care. This was a dumb "feature" to begin with. We need to be able to turn this off altogether. And no, the new "manual entry" thing is not cutting it.
  • KevinB
    KevinB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Theresa J said:

When the effort gets so extensive that a custom Excel file created from scratch would be more productive and sounds appealing, you know you have a big problem.