Best practice for tracking/reporting investment expenses

Options
Keith Free Ellis
Keith Free Ellis Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
How do you all view investment expense data? Looking for some ideas to improve upon my current method described below.

When holdings have fees, I record two transactions: 1) shares sold to fund the fee and 2) the misc expense, currently uncategorized. I could go back and assign a category and create a transaction report to group by security, but I'm ideally looking for a column to add to the portfolio view or one of the stock reports (portfolio activity, portfolio perf) to show this. 

Thanks!

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Keith,When you use the Misc Expense transaction, why don't you use the Category field?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I run with an Invest Exp category that I use for these potentially deductible fees.  Why would you choose not to categorize them?  

There is no way I know of to present these in a portfolio view.  These fees would be part of the 'return' for an Investment performance report and thus also factor in for the portfolio views Average Annual Return calculations.  

The more common way to present these numbers would be in a spending or transaction type report subtotaled by category.  
This discussion has been closed.