Remove some accounts from projected balances?

TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
edited December 2018 in Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)
I am on the latest version of Quicken Deluxe for Mac Canadian edition (5.6.1 (Build 56.22375.100)) running on the latest version of OS High Sierra (10.13.4).

I want to use the Projected Balances tab under Bills & Income to help me manage my cashflow as a freelancer with erratic income. The dropdown only allows me to select all accounts in one type of currency (I have three) or one specific account, none of which gives me an accurate portrayal of my financial situation.

Ideally, I need to be able see all three currencies I deal with at one time (can be separated out the way they are in category reports), although that's more of a "would be nice" than a "must have."

However, in the case of all three currency reports, I absolutely need to be able to see only my "cash" accounts (actual cash + bank and PayPal accounts) while excluding debt and investment accounts. Including those last two dramatically skews how much cash I actually have available for daily expenses.

Is that possible or is that screen full of potential but pretty much useless? :(

Thanks!

Rae

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rae,

Since QMac doesn't do any currency conversion, then clearly there's no way for it to combine these all into a single report (since it would all have to be in a common currency for it to make sense).

But I have a couple of ideas that may work for you (or may not):

1) Create a customized Net Worth Over Time report for each currency including only the accounts you want and using a timeframe that reaches out into the future. If you need to see them side by side, you could print each to PDF, then open them all and arrange the windows.

2) Depending on the combinations of accounts, you can open individual accounts and/or account groups (eg. Banking) in their own windows. Within each window, select only the accounts of one currency. Then arrange those windows as necessary. To open an account or group in its own window, right click on its name in the sidebar and choose Open In New Window.
  • TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Rae,

Since QMac doesn't do any currency conversion, then clearly there's no way for it to combine these all into a single report (since it would all have to be in a common currency for it to make sense).

1) Create a customized Net Worth Over Time report for each currency including only the accounts you want and using a timeframe that reaches out into the future. If you need to see them side by side, you could print each to PDF, then open them all and arrange the windows.

2) Depending on the combinations of accounts, you can open individual accounts and/or account groups (eg. Banking) in their own windows. Within each window, select only the accounts of one currency. Then arrange those windows as necessary. To open an account or group in its own window, right click on its name in the sidebar and choose Open In New Window.

I wasn't very clear in what my problem is. Let me provide more detail about my current cash flow management and how I thought that the Projected Balances screen could help me. I think you might be close with your #1, actually, but I'm not getting the granularity I need, plus the time frames don't work (I'd like to be able to look two weeks ahead rather than a whole month).

So I earn 99% of my income in USD.

I spend about 1% of my income in USD, 44% in MXN, and 55% in CAD, with MXN being my currency for actual cash and daily transactions.

Some of the USD income lands in a combined USD/CAD PayPal account that Quicken treats as being USD only and is then transferred to a CAD bank account.

The rest of the USD income lands in a MXN PayPal account that is then transferred to a MXN bank account.

Determining where the original USD amounts will be funnelled depends on my upcoming CAD and MXN expenses. I get one shot at having minimal fees and a single currency conversion. If I send too much to either CAD or MXN and have to transfer between them, it gets super expensive.

So when I go to the Projected Balances screen and select my CAD accounts, I want to be able to see my expected income and expenses for my cash accounts there to know if everything's covered. Same thing with MXN.

But with Quicken showing me all accounts, I have to remember to manually remove the credit and investment accounts skewing the important numbers. So I end up back in Excel to do my forecasting, which is not working.

Can you think of another way to do this if the Projected Balances screen won't let me remove the credit and investment accounts?

Thank you so much for your help -- you're a very good listener and you clearly know this software inside and out!

Rae
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Rae,

Again I'm not sure if this will help, but... if you open the Account Settings for each account, you will find a section that looks like this:

For each account that you don't want to see scheduled transactions, select "Hide all occurrences". For the others, choose either "Show the next..." or "Show...in the next... xx days".

Then rather than use the Projected Balances section of Bills & Income, instead click on the "smallest" group register that contains all the accounts, for example, "Cash" or "Banking". This display will honor the selections you made in the Accounts' settings and display or not display scheduled transactions accordingly. 

You will still have to choose each group of accounts by currency and view them separately, but perhaps this will get you closer.
  • TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

Rae,

The first part doesn't help me because because I still see the balances for the credit and investment accounts. However, the second part does help! If I click on my "Cash" register, then I can select only the the "Cash" transactions for each currency and basically get what I want, but in a different format. I even see at the top right an option to change "Today's Balance" to "Projected Balance," but I have to play with that a bit. So I do believe you found the workaround I needed. Thank you so much!

Based on this, I think the only thing I could do for the Projected Balance screen is change the currency on the credit and investment accounts to AUD (which is almost equivalent to CAD), but then I'd lose the linked transfers that are so helpful in reconciling those accounts.

Hopefully, this ability to remove accounts from the Projected Balance is something that Quicken for Mac will eventually implement. They've brought so many features on my wish list in the last year that I'm hopeful.

Thank you again!

Rae