Sale of security is reported as a withdrawal on Investing Activity report

ColinGruchy
ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
When a security is sold to the account's cash position, it shows on the Investing Activity report as a withdrawal from the account.  This is not correct as there has been no withdrawal from the account. Quicken Home and Business - Year: 2018, Version R4.4, Build: 27.1.4.4, Edition: Canada

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Can you post an example? This does not appear to be the case for QWin 2018 US R8.10..

If the sale was a SellX, the destination account must be included in the report.

Also make sure that you are starting with the standard report, not one you customized in an earlier version of Quicken, and in any customization for the report that you include "No Security (includes Cash)" as one of the securities.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

I created a brand new Investment Activity Report and a Transaction Activity report for one account, year to date 2018.  The account had one mutual fund in it with a value of $6,356.86 in it on January 1, 2018.  I sold the mutual fund to the account's cash balance on January 2, 2018.  Then I withdrew the entire cash balance of $6,356.86 on January 3, 2018, leaving a zero balance in the account.  The Investing Activity Report shows a withdrawal of 2 X $6,356.86 = $12,713.72. Then it shows a realized gain of $-0.01 and a change in market value of $6,356.87. The report should show precisely what I withdrew from the account, which is $6,356.86 and zero change in market value.  How can I withdraw $12,713..72 from an account that had half of that amount? The change in market value should be the change in price of the security times the number of units of the security in the account.  If there are no units left in the account, the change should be zero.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    That's strange. I do not see behavior like that in QWin US 2018. For me, the withdrawal amount in the Investing Activity report is the amount actually withdrawn from the account, and does not include the amount of any sales.

Perhaps someone else with QWin Canada 2018 could give this a try.
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Perhaps someone working for Quicken will see this post and take matters up with development.  My illustration is a very simple one.  My account with multiple buys and sells and occasional withdrawals is not well served by this report.  It's a practically useless report.  I also have the daily version as a tile on my home screen so I can see at a glance how things are at the end of the day.  Fine if no activity. Useless if transactions have occurred.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Perhaps someone working for Quicken will see this post and take matters up with development.  My illustration is a very simple one.  My account with multiple buys and sells and occasional withdrawals is not well served by this report.  It's a practically useless report.  I also have the daily version as a tile on my home screen so I can see at a glance how things are at the end of the day.  Fine if no activity. Useless if transactions have occurred.

I am confused by your second transaction -- the Cash to split categories.  What is going on in that transaction? 

If you run the Activity report for 1/1 to 1/2, does it look any better?  That would be what I would expect to see for a stock sale with the proceeds left in the account -- only the sale transaction.  
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Good observation, q.lurker!

It is the split withdrawal that is causing the problem with the report.  In a test file, if I withdraw $500 from an investment account without a split, the Withdraw amount shows in the report as $500. If I split it with $475 in one category and $25 in another, the report shows a withdrawal of $1000.

This looks similar to the problem I reported a few weeks ago here
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/account-balances-report-shows-negative-cash-when...

Colin, I bet if you make separate withdraw transactions for each of your categories, the report will be correct. This is a workaround, not a solution!
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

It's a withdrawal from an RRSP to a chequing account.  The split includes the amount transferred to the chequing account, the tax withheld which I used federal tax as the expense category and a $25 fee which I used bank charge as the category.  So if the split is causing the issue, then Quicken needs to fix the program to handle splits.  I never had any issues with my previous version, 2014.  Only when Quicken split from Intuit did these issues crop up.  I guess Intuit kept the proprietary code and whoever runs Quicken now has tried to copy it with sometimes unfortunate results.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2018

Another way to handle this is to transfer the whole amount to the checking account, then put a split in the receiving transaction to show the deductions. This should show OK in your investing reports. 
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

I ran the Activity report for 1/1 to 1/2.  Shows zero in withdrawal.  I ran the report from 1/3 to 1/4 and the withdrawal is doubled.  The sale to cash happened on 1/2, so this means that the sale has no impact on the withdrawal amount in the report.  It's the withdrawal that's being doubled in this case. I guess I'll have to phone premium support and get them to replicate the issue.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2018

Yes please do contact Support, and let them know it is a problem with US Quicken too.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2018

It is the split withdrawal that is causing the problem with the report.  In a test file, if I withdraw $500 from an investment account without a split, the Withdraw amount shows in the report as $500. If I split it with $475 in one category and $25 in another, the report shows a withdrawal of $1000.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/account-balances-report-shows-negative-cash-when...

Colin, I bet if you make separate withdraw transactions for each of your categories, the report will be correct. This is a workaround, not a solution!

Further note:

If there is a 3-way split in the Withdraw transaction, the amount withdrawn shown in the report is still double the correct amount, not triple.

I bet when the code behind the reports is untangled, it boils down to something like

if (split)
      withdraw total split amount
    end if
    withdraw total amount

when it should be

if (split)
      withdraw total split amount
    else
      withdraw total amount
    end if
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

That's why I'm not having the issue on my other investment accounts.  Only the retirement account has a split because of the withholding tax.  I don't have a lot of withdrawals, so maybe I'll unsplit the transactions to see if this solves the problem.  Kinda defeats the whole purpose of using a split so that your transaction history matches the statement from the financial institution. I have to manually enter my investment transactions as download is not provided by BMO Investorline.  I wonder what issues people who download transactions are running into.  And again, this is new to the latest release. I never had this issue before and I've been using the software since 1996.
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Jim, that's an excellent idea to put the split in the chequing account transaction.  I'm going to try this right away and see what happens.
  • ColinGruchy
    ColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

OK, so I got rid of all of the splits in my investment account and put the splits in my chequing account.  Presto!  My Investing Activity reports are now perfect! I'll do this from now on because the investment accounts apparently can't handle split categories properly.  Thanks for your ideas Jim.  I don't think Quicken will fix this, but others should benefit from the work around.
This discussion has been closed.